Should I buy it?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

main_stem

#31 Post by main_stem » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:25 pm

Matthew wrote:I just found 1944-46 that features Sid Catlett. I like the music (especially "Linger Awhile"), but the sound quality in the online previews is not so hot (very noticeable hiss). Anybody know what the sound quality is like in the actual recording?
This is one of the CD's that was waiting for me when I got back from NY today. There is a fair amount on hissing, however I have songs that have as much hissing and still play them. No one has made any comment on those except to ask what they were. When DJing you can also turn down the high to cut down the hissing.

Musically this disc is an ass shaker. (at least the cuts I've listened to so far) That makes up for any sound quality problems in my book. Not to mention that Big Sid was one swinging drummer and is one of the two major influences on bop drummers. The other being Jo Jones.

On a side not Kevin Schaper and I have spun tunes from LPs that were less then stellar in regardes to sound quality and have had no complaints.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Lindy Bomb

#32 Post by Lindy Bomb » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:29 pm

Haha. Sid Catlett was the shit, and quite the showman. He upstaged Banny Goodman, when he played with his band, and soon found himself looking for a new regular gig. Funny anecdote from a little drum battle between Buddy Rich and Sid Catlett: Buddy Rich is all over the place, tearing it up hardcore. Sid does a one handed drum roll and lights a cigarette with the other hand. The crowd goes nuts. Buddy just shouts, "Sid, you mother f*cker!"

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Catlett cds, anyone know of any cds in particular that I should look for?

main_stem

#33 Post by main_stem » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:42 pm

This is one of the CD's that was waiting for me when I got back from NY today. There is a fair amount on hissing, however I have songs that have as much hissing and still play them. No one has made any comment on those except to ask what they were. When DJing you can also turn down the high to cut down the hissing.
Now that I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing I can give a little more input. Sound Quality is really good on tracks 1-6 and 13-18, as in no noticable hissing. Hissing is aparent on 6-12 but nothing that would prevent me from playing any of these cuts. 19-24 is a different story. There is a lot of hissing and LP noise and I probably would just by pass these all together. It's a shame because there is some good stuff there.

So, in total you have about 18 tracks to pick from. Right now I've got about 8 marked as cuts I'd play. I'll widdle it down from there. Linger a While is good but I'm more drawn to Just a Riff.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

main_stem

#34 Post by main_stem » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:50 pm

Lindy Bomb wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Catlett cds, anyone know of any cds in particular that I should look for?
The CC 1944-46 is the only CD released under his own name. All the cuts, except a few, are from his various groups that he lead so you get plenty of Big Sid. You can try collecting the music he was a sideman on but that isn't really going to give you the flavour the the CC disc will.

Also rember that he passed away in 1951 so there are no albums persay that he's on other than compilations.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Matthew

#35 Post by Matthew » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:19 am

Matthew wrote:I'm interested in a Basie CD called "The Golden Years, Vol. 2 (1938)."

AMG says that it features "airchecks and concert recordings," and I'm wondering about the sound quality. Anybody here have this? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.
I finally got this, and I love it. High-energy throughout. Sound quality's okay on most tracks. It's kind of like having live recordings without the people-screaming-over-the-music, glasses-shattering, people-bumping-the-mic qualities. I'd recommend it highly.

kitkat

#36 Post by kitkat » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Lawrence

#37 Post by Lawrence » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:55 pm

I have a different Jack Teagarden Mosaic set, which I like and I suspect that you would love given what you've posted before. It is hi-fi. If this one is anything like the other one, then it is worth it.

Mosaic sets are some of the best sets I have ever encountered. They include alternate takes and unreleased tracks that sometimes should remain unreleased but many times are absol;utely phenomenal. They also include fantasticly detailed liner notes with every sideman for every recording, where the song was released. :-) The Mosaic digital remastering is always fantastic, as well. They do a great job on all their sets.

I just listened to my Teagarden set, again, and its even better than I remembered. Does anyone else think Teagarden's singing sounds like the lead singer of "Swing Session?"
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#38 Post by djstarr » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:24 pm

Lawrence wrote:I just listened to my Teagarden set, again, and its even better than I remembered. Does anyone else think Teagarden's singing sounds like the lead singer of "Swing Session?"
I always thought Pops sounds more like the singers from the covers they do - i.e. Roy Milton, Louis Prima, Louis Jordan; I've been listening to Teagarden a lot lately and haven't thought about Pops at all.

Lawrence

#39 Post by Lawrence » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:55 pm

djstarr wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I just listened to my Teagarden set, again, and its even better than I remembered. Does anyone else think Teagarden's singing sounds like the lead singer of "Swing Session?"
I always thought Pops sounds more like the singers from the covers they do - i.e. Roy Milton, Louis Prima, Louis Jordan; I've been listening to Teagarden a lot lately and haven't thought about Pops at all.
Perhaps it's just me. I also have not seen Swing Session live as much as you probably have on the West Coast. Are you listening to the 1950s dixie revival stuff off Capitol? That is the Mosaic set I have: Complete Capitol Fifties Sessions. Perhaps it is Jack T's older voice.

Did I mention that this set is amazing? Man!! There is some sappy orchestral "mood music" on the 4th CD from an orchestral album he released, but really amazing dixie revival swing stuff elsewhere. One after another.... Thanks for inspiring me to give it another listen, Kat.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#40 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:03 pm

Lawrence wrote:Perhaps it's just me. I also have not seen Swing Session live as much as you probably have on the West Coast. Are you listening to the 1950s dixie revival stuff off Capitol? That is the Mosaic set I have: Complete Capitol Fifties Sessions. Perhaps it is Jack T's older voice.
I listened to Jack Teagarden: Jazz Great today (Bethlehem Archives - recorded 1954). (and btw Amazon has it used for $45 and I bought it at Amoeba for $7 or $8 - yeah!)

I think Pops phrasing is similar to Jack Teagarden's, but I think their voices, while similar, are easy to tell apart; and the style of music they play is quite a bit different - even though Stompy Jones is trying to do more hot jazz, they still are a jump blues band for the most part.

And maybe it is the fact that I've heard Pops a lot live (and had a couple of beers with him ;-) ).

Jerry_Jelinek

#41 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:58 am

First of all I'm brand new to this discussion board. I work with a community run radio station in Cleveland (FM 91.5). We play 24/7 big band, swing and lighter jazz. I'm usually on Friday evenings from 9-11pm.

The Mosaic set of Teagarden on Roulette is a true gem. Some of the music is danceable, but the real treat is the incredible trumpet playing of Don Goldie.

Don was a mainstay in the Miami area for 20+ years. His father was in Paul Whitemans band back in the 20s.

If you enjoy great dixie style of music, this set is great. Very little Goldie is on CD, and this set alone gives an impression of his mastery of the style.

I'm looking forward to reading and learning more from you pro DJs.

Jerry

Soupbone

#42 Post by Soupbone » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:08 pm

Welcome, Jerry!

You'll provide some interesting contributions to this community, as most of us DJ not as a profession or even on-air, but rather for lindy hoppers and other swing dancers at dance events.

I'd say most folks here are dancers first, DJs second (at least if a recent poll is any indication: http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=326)

Gary
Gary

gatorgal

#43 Post by gatorgal » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:42 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:
First of all I'm brand new to this discussion board. I work with a community run radio station in Cleveland (FM 91.5). We play 24/7 big band, swing and lighter jazz. I'm usually on Friday evenings from 9-11pm.
Welcome Jerry!

Don't have speakers on my computer at work... can we listen to your station on the net?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#44 Post by djstarr » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:18 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:First of all I'm brand new to this discussion board. I work with a community run radio station in Cleveland (FM 91.5). We play 24/7 big band, swing and lighter jazz. I'm usually on Friday evenings from 9-11pm.
Hi Jerry! I'm excited you've joined us. I've been flirting with the idea of volunteering at some local radio stations that play jazz; I also have been meeting some of the DJs since they play in a hot jazz band we've been going out to hear.

So I think it will be very interesting to get your perspective -- you probably get the chance to play a lot more selections since you don't have to worry as much about how danceable a song is.

Jerry_Jelinek

#45 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 pm

djstarr wrote:Hi Jerry! I'm excited you've joined us....So I think it will be very interesting to get your perspective -- you probably get the chance to play a lot more selections since you don't have to worry as much about how danceable a song is.
Hi djstarr,

Thank you for the welcome. I find the swing dancing facinating, and have gotten lots of great ideas for shows from dancers. The flexibility I get can lead to more obscure programming, but things that non-dancers will find interesting.

Jerry