Franklyn Mint LPs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Balboa Chris

Franklyn Mint LPs

#1 Post by Balboa Chris » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:11 am

I recently took up an offer, from a house clearance, for 15 pristine boxed sets (2 LPs each) from the Franklyn Mint collection; "The Greatest recordings of the Big Band Era". They don't look like they've ever been played.
I believe there are another 35 boxes for the full collection.

The ones I have are;
1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 15/16, 19/20, 21/22, 25/26, 27/28, 29/30, 31/32, 33/34, 35/36, 37/38

I don't have a turntable at the moment and was wondering how good the music is on these LPs. Has anyone out there listened to these discs who can give an opinion on them.

Cheers
Chris

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 am

Not me. I didn't get them when they were coming out b/c they were quite pricey and contained many duplicates on LPs I already owned.

I don't know anyone who bought them and I don't recall any chatter.

I will ask a friend of mine.

otoh - the Time/Life sets of original Jazz artists and recordings were sensational with big booklets, beautiful pressings and excellent sound.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 am

Report from my friend in NY -

"Ok – not the greatest sound – kinda over-filtered"

"I only own the two that have rare stuff – RARE BIG BANDS and the Duke Ellington one, which are both all-previously-unissued material."

Here's a link with collectors posting about FM LPs, both classical and Jazz-

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=164937

Balboa Chris

#4 Post by Balboa Chris » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for the links. The postings suggest the quality could be rather nice. I'll have to get a turntable now to see for myself.
I didn't pay very much for them, which is a bonus. They do look fabulous in the dark red vinyl, with the booklets.

Cheers
Chris

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am

Balboa Chris wrote:Thanks for the links. The postings suggest the quality could be rather nice. I'll have to get a turntable now to see for myself.
I didn't pay very much for them, which is a bonus. They do look fabulous in the dark red vinyl, with the booklets.

Cheers
Chris
You bet. Happy listening.

That's a thing about LPs over CDs - warmth vs cold and the perception of holding something real...a real connection to the music in your hands as you handle the records and then just sit there listening to the music and holding and reading the booklet. The music and the knowledge just slip right into your heart and your mind....and you never forget them.

Swifty

#6 Post by Swifty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:48 am

How is an LP more "real" than a CD? More "real" than MP3's I could maybe understand, but a record is no less physical than a compact disc.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 am

Swifty wrote:How is an LP more "real" than a CD? More "real" than MP3's I could maybe understand, but a record is no less physical than a compact disc.
A CD is cold, flat, small, near tactile less, has no weight to speak of.

An LP is warm, more 3-dimensional, has depth, ridges, grooves, a paper label, a rich luster, comes in a warm paper sleeve and cover with art on one side and easily accessible information on the other.

Don't rile me, youngblood! :wink:

Don't make me say - "If you gots to ask, you'll never know" or "If you gots top ask. don't mess with it." :lol:

fredo

#8 Post by fredo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 pm

"That's a thing about <instruments> over LPs - warmth vs cold and the perception of holding something real...a real connection to the music in your hands as you handle the <instrument> and then just sit there <making> the music. The music and the knowledge just slip right into your heart and your mind....and you never forget them."

As long as you want to promote one cold, flat, storage device that comes with a booklet over another, why not take some perspective. LPs and CDs serve the same purpose -- to allow us to listen to recorded music. Does it really matter what they feel like to the touch? It's about the music, right? I'd prefer the sound of an LP over a CD if the recording sounded better, or if I was collecting tracks not yet released to CD, or if I was just an LP collector for the sake of the object. But if it's really the music warming your heart and all that, the device really shouldn't matter.

Besides, the music comes into my heart much more when I pick up my instrument and play it myself. Quibbling about LP vs CD seems like missing the point.

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 pm

fredo wrote:"That's a thing about <instruments> over LPs - warmth vs cold and the perception of holding something real...a real connection to the music in your hands as you handle the <instrument> and then just sit there <making> the music. The music and the knowledge just slip right into your heart and your mind....and you never forget them."

As long as you want to promote one cold, flat, storage device that comes with a booklet over another, why not take some perspective. LPs and CDs serve the same purpose -- to allow us to listen to recorded music. Does it really matter what they feel like to the touch? It's about the music, right? I'd prefer the sound of an LP over a CD if the recording sounded better, or if I was collecting tracks not yet released to CD, or if I was just an LP collector for the sake of the object. But if it's really the music warming your heart and all that, the device really shouldn't matter.

Besides, the music comes into my heart much more when I pick up my instrument and play it myself. Quibbling about LP vs CD seems like missing the point.
Interesting how you misquote me to make your premise.
'
I said LPs are warm. You say I said they are cold.
I didnt say LPs came with a booklet. You did.

That's all I have time for.

But the medium does make a difference in the way the message can be enjoyed.

Now if you want to go read a novel over on the internet or on a Kindle, that's up to you.

And if you can't understand any of this, then you just can't.

Sorry.

fredo

#10 Post by fredo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Yes, I misquoted you to make a point. You missed it.

you say LPs are warm and CDs are cold -- is the music playing on them any warmer or colder?

you said, "a real connection to the music in your hands as you handle the records and then just sit there listening to the music and holding and reading the booklet," not me.

I agree that medium and materials do make differences in our perceptions, as they do in other forms of art (drawing, sculpting, building, acting, etc), but can you really say that one is more "real" than another?

If you like LPs more than CDs, fine. I don't need to change your mind, nor is that the point. I just like to poke fun when a silly argument gets made, like "LPs over CDs - warmth vs cold and the perception of holding something real...a real connection to the music in your hands as you handle the records".

That's just funny to me. If you can't understand why that's funny, then you just can't. sorry.

Eyeball

#11 Post by Eyeball » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:06 am

fredo wrote:Yes, I misquoted you to make a point. I just like to poke fun when a silly argument gets made.....

That's just funny to me. If you can't understand why that's funny, then you just can't. sorry.
Here ya go, Fredo. For your 'special days'-

fredo

#12 Post by fredo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:33 am

Oh Eyeball, watching you get riled up is like a ray of sunshine on my heart.

Honestly though, LPs are awesome, but what's wrong with disagreeing that they aren't any more "real" or connected to the music than a CD, or cassette tape, or beta cartridge, or any other sounds storage device for that matter. Like I said, it's cool that you love LPs, but if you're going to make broad comments you shouldn't get so riled up if someone challenges you.

aaaand I'm done.

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:58 am

Records are different from CDs even though both are physical objects. CDs are still digital sound whereas LPs use a physical process to recreate the sound. The argument over the difference between analog and digital sound will probably continue as long as needles are still available. I don't really know if there is any validity to the argument. But I guess LPs will survive an electro-magnetic pulse and you can always play them on a wind-up player.

Balboa Chris

#14 Post by Balboa Chris » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 am

Oh the passion vinyl generates.
I think some of it is down to the fact that vinyl is a much older format, so you are handling something a little historical. For me, picking up a vinyl disc is just a little thrilling. The smell is one thing, the delicacy of the engineering another. Mmmn.
I kind of think of vinyl as the hand made Gypsy Jazz acoustic, whereas the CD and MP3s are the Casio electronic keyboards.
In terms of music, there probably isn't much to choose between the formats. In fact a blind test on the British TV's "The Gadget Show", ended up with MP3 winning which was perhaps a bit bizarre. I have no preference, but there is definitely a romance attached to vinyl.

The worry I have is with the vintage DJs who insist on playing their incredibly rare vinyl/acetate discs at public events. If the discs get damaged or overplayed, they are gone for good, and that would be tragic.

falty411

#15 Post by falty411 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:00 pm

personally i wont listen to anything that isn't in the warmest of all formats, midi
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984