Paul Whiteman - The Complete Capitol Recordings

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

#16 Post by falty411 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

J-h:n wrote:
falty411 wrote:Don't forget Jack Teagarden, Red McKenzie, Bing Crosby, Mildred Bailey, Joe Venuti, Bunny Berigan, and my personal favorite, one of the biggest pioneers of jazz guitar, Eddie Lang.
No way am I forgetting any of those guys. Eddie Lang rocks!

Trivia: You probably know that Eddie's real name was Salvatore Massaro (presumably changed to seem less of a wop), but did you know that when he recorded with blues guitarist Lonnie Johnson, he used the pseudonym Blind Willie Dunn (presumably to seem less of a honky)?
falty411 wrote:Money can buy somethings, like great music! Cab used money to his advantage in the same way.
Not to mention Duke (who earned most of his money from composition royalties and spent most of it on musicians' wages).
i did know that! it was because at that particular time, (the twenties) whites and blacks recording together, or even doing anything together, wasnt really acceptable. Neither Johnson or Lang cared about that much. Johnson was quoted as looking back on those as his favorite recordings. I think there are about 10 in all, and man are the effin sweet.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984