Duke Ellington

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 am

J-h:n wrote:One overlooked Ellington tune I really like for dancing: The Sidewalks of New York, recorded in 1940. Musically it's a trifle, but it's got a great, relaxed but driving mid-tempo groove going.
Originally the flip side of TAKE THE "A" TRAIN.

Yeah - really good in 4/4 time instead of the as written 3/4.

A song all NYers know to this day.

J-h:n

#17 Post by J-h:n » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Eyeball wrote:Yeah - really good in 4/4 time instead of the as written 3/4.

What for? Where's the song from originally?

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm

J-h:n wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Yeah - really good in 4/4 time instead of the as written 3/4.

What for? Where's the song from originally?
From the 19th century! Tune title is actually THE SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK, though some people refer to it as 'East Side, West Side'.

I think it is 1894....which date was on the back of the LP when it was issued on the Victor Vintage series - (love those easy to read liner notes!)

Gonna guess it is from a show...lemme look...maybe just a Tin Pan Alley tune - lemme look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sidewalks_of_New_York

This one's snappy! Short, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1p_BRlQySI

This guy is down home, starts in 3/4, goes into 4/4, then comes back with some new lyrics which I guess he cobbled together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhmHS_gLo28

This one has the verse and some extra chorus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliI8Vr2sFE

And Charlie Barnet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBei3PghDpk

#19 Post by J-h:n » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks! So now I know where the phrase "trip the light fantastic" comes from. You know, I could have just googled it, but then I would have totally missed both the old street scene and that great Barnet version. Who's the scat singer?

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 pm

J-h:n wrote:Thanks! So now I know where the phrase "trip the light fantastic" comes from. You know, I could have just googled it, but then I would have totally missed both the old street scene and that great Barnet version. Who's the scat singer?
Welcome!

There was another version with old street pics using the same recording, but they had the producer's credit all over the image - some company in England..

I dont know who the singer is with Barnet - he looks vaguely familiar.

"trip the light fantastic" - the song has kept it alive, but I wonder if it has a previous existence?
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#21 Post by Eyeball » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_the_l ... c_(phrase)

UUUhhhh...too much knowledge - my head hurts - plus there as that famous Broadway show - "The Fantasticks" that ran for like 40 years...

CafeSavoy

#22 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:52 pm

Eyeball wrote:
J-h:n wrote:Who's the scat singer?
I dont know who the singer is with Barnet - he looks vaguely familiar.
The singer/tap dancer is Bunny Briggs.

Charlie Barnet And His Orchestra
James Campbell, Joe Graves, Dave Nichols, Jimmy Nottingham, Clark Terry (tp) Walt Benson, Porky Cohen, Fred Zito (tb) Frank Papalardo, Walt Weidler (as) Kurt Bloom, Jack Henderson (ts) Charlie Barnet (ts, ss, as, ldr) Bob Dawes (bars) Bill Miller (p) Bob Bain (g) Frank Siravo (b) Dick Shanahan (d) Bunny Briggs, Jean Louise (vo)
NYC, August 25, 1947
AP3130 East Side, West Side Clef MGC 164; Verve MGV 2031
AP3131 My Old Flame -
AP3132 Sleep Clef MGC 165; Verve MGV 2031
AP3133 | 741-1 Jubilee Jump Mercury 8982, MGC 114; Verve MGV 2007
* Charlie Barnet - For Dancing Lovers (Verve MGV 2031)
* Charlie Barnet - Dance Bash (Verve MGV 2007)
* Charlie Barnet - Dance Session, #2 (Clef MGC 164)
* Charlie Barnet - Dance Session, #1 (Clef MGC 165)
* Charlie Barnet Plays Charlie Barnet (Mercury MGC 114; Clef MGC 114)
* Charlie Barnet - Jubilee Jump c/w Southern Fried (Mercury 8982, 8982x45; Clef 8982, 8982x45)

#23 Post by J-h:n » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:51 am

CafeSavoy wrote:The singer/tap dancer is Bunny Briggs.
Thanks Rayned! Gotta check him out - he's awesome.

#24 Post by J-h:n » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 am

Eyeball wrote:The Sidewalks of New York

Originally the flip side of TAKE THE "A" TRAIN.
To bring this thread back to Ellington: An ingenious pairing like that is something you'd expect on a 45 from a clever artist in the '70s or '80s (probably with some sort of visual clue - a two-sided black/white cover or different colored labels or somesuch). You'd certainly not expect it in 1941.

They're both catchy, upbeat tunes celebrating New York, but apart from that they're very different:

Take the "A" Train:

- Hypermodern, almost futuristic with that boppish main theme
- Harmonically daring
- Written by a young black composer
- Celebrates the underground
- Celebrates uptown

Sidewalks of New York:

- Extremely old-fashioned
- Harmonically simplistic
- Written by a dead white guy
- Celebrates the open-air streetlife
- Celebrates downtown

I wonder if Duke put a lot of thought into this (and the implications - the black song representing the future, the white one representing the past). I'd guess he did, but most likely he wouldn't have told anyone - that man was nothing if not subtle.

Eyeball

#25 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 am

I wonder if Duke put a lot of thought into this (and the implications - the black song representing the future, the white one representing the past). I'd guess he did, but most likely he wouldn't have told anyone - that man was nothing if not subtle.
I doubt that he put any thought into it b/c it was likely the producer's clever decision. Plus - "A" Train was a BMI tune, so it could get radio play in 1941 when all ASCAP music was banned from the radio. "Sidewalks" was *likely* ASCAP, but could have been P.D. by then or even gone over to BMI (I don't know - just hypo-ing) giving them 2 tunes that could receive radio play.

Also from Victor
Moonlight Serenade b/w Sunrise Serenade
Adios b/w Under Blue Canadian Skies

Gotta be more - too tired yet to think of them.
J-h:n wrote: (and the implications - the black song representing the future, the white one representing the past).
What implications would they be?

#26 Post by J-h:n » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Eyeball wrote:I doubt that he put any thought into it b/c it was likely the producer's clever decision. Plus - "A" Train was a BMI tune, so it could get radio play in 1941 when all ASCAP music was banned from the radio. "Sidewalks" was *likely* ASCAP, but could have been P.D. by then or even gone over to BMI (I don't know - just hypo-ing) giving them 2 tunes that could receive radio play.
Hey! Don't ruin my neat theory with your stupid facts! No, you're probably right, I'm reading way too much into this. But it's a tempting thing to do, and if anyone needs a thesis for their musicology paper, they're welcome.
Eyeball wrote:What implications would they be?
Like I said: that black music represents the future and white music the past. Of course, Duke would never ever have said that (indeed, it's quite possible that Duke had nothing to do with the decision to put those two songs together). But even if nobody consciously meant to say that, the very juxtaposition of those songs does suggest the thought.

Eyeball

#27 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Eyeball wrote:I doubt that he put any thought into it b/c it was likely the producer's clever decision. Plus - "A" Train was a BMI tune, so it could get radio play in 1941 when all ASCAP music was banned from the radio. "Sidewalks" was *likely* ASCAP, but could have been P.D. by then or even gone over to BMI (I don't know - just hypo-ing) giving them 2 tunes that could receive radio play.
Hey! Don't ruin my neat theory with your stupid facts! No, you're probably right, I'm reading way too much into this. But it's a tempting thing to do, and if anyone needs a thesis for their musicology paper, they're welcome.
Hey - oddball and reading too much into it theories are the territories of Jazz fans all over the world! Once I was wondering why the Modernaires happened to wind up on Columbia when they left Glenn Miller instead of Bluebird where they had been or on Decca who were big on vocal groups and I was formulating theories based upon all sorts of intel, but then I called their manager, Tom Sheils, and asked him and he said "I was walking down 52nd street in NYC and saw Mannie Sachs the A&R man at Columbia and I asked him if he'd like to have the Modernaires and he said, "sure - come on over and sign the paperwork." Hahahaha!!! All that ruminating for nothing.
J-h:n wrote: Like I said: that black music represents the future and white music the past.
Huh? Is this lost in the translation? What makes you think such a thing or that DE would think that?
Will big bands ever come back?

#28 Post by J-h:n » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Eyeball wrote:
J-h:n wrote: Like I said: that black music represents the future and white music the past.
Huh? Is this lost in the translation? What makes you think such a thing or that DE would think that?
You have one super modern song written by a young black composer, celebrating Harlem.

You have one super old-fashioned song written by a dead white composer, celebrating downtown New York.

What's not obvious?

But enough about this. I admit that it's an oddball theory. On with the Ellington favorites! Another overlooked one: the fast(-ish) 1938 Lost in Meditation, as by Cootie Williams & His Rug Cutters. Fun to hear an uptempo version of a classic ballad, and it works really well for dancing (except for the fade-out ending).

Eyeball

#29 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Eyeball wrote:
You have one super modern song written by a young black composer, celebrating Harlem.

You have one super old-fashioned song written by a dead white composer, celebrating downtown New York.

What's not obvious?
Ya - OKeh - but that is not what you originally wrote.

Lost in translation - because Harlem was not "the future" and downtown NY was not "the past".

In reality, it is gay music v straight music. Strayhorn-gay, other guy-straight. :wink:

fredo

#30 Post by fredo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:29 pm

I'll let J-h:n respond for himself of course, but I'll throw in my interpretation as an aside.

<err, too slow. I'll leave this up anyway>

I could read this as meaning that popular culture had been focused solely on white artists since, ever really. Jazz, and the Harlem Renaissance started to break into mainstream popular recognition. Duke was a headlining african american jazzman playing for white crowds at the Cotton Club, and so could be seen as a historical figure in terms of race relations (among many others before and after him).

I don't think J-h:n's statement about black music representing the future and white music representing the past is a very good way of saying this, is more or less inaccurate and overgeneralized, but I think I see a sentiment in what he may be trying to say with that statement.