Benny Carter, Rest In Peace

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#16 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:29 am

Mike wrote: I have a couple later albums by him, but they don't stand out as much as the earlier ones. Anyone have any modern Benny they can recommend?
I also have this pretty raunchy CD of him singing with Ray Charles in a weird fals... oh, wait, that's BETTY Carter. :P
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

julius

#17 Post by julius » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:31 am

the one i mentioned was recorded in 1961 and 1966 and it features a four saxophone unit with a rhythm section. interesting arrangements, lots of soloing, great jazz. i mean, how can it not be? coleman hawkins was one of the other saxes, jo jones played drums.

Further Definitions

Mike

#18 Post by Mike » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:01 pm

Thanks! Elegy in Blue is a nice concept. And I'll definitely have to check out the O.P. album, I didn't know they recorded together... Looks like it wasn't the first time.

It appears that most of his early 50's material is out of print, and I really like the album I mentioned above, from '57... Time to hunt for LP's!

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:44 pm

Roy wrote:I just bought Benny Carter Chrono classics 37-39, I particuarly like; I ain't got nobody, Farewell blues, and Blue light blues. The last 2 have Django Rheinhart playing with Benny Carter.
Thanks for the tip - I didn't think I owned any Benny Carter, but the last two plus I'm Coming Virginia are on the Django Reinhardt and his american friends CD which I just got - so I was able to play I'm Coming Virginia for everybody last night.

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:05 am

Mike wrote:Thanks! Elegy in Blue is a nice concept. And I'll definitely have to check out the O.P. album, I didn't know they recorded together... Looks like it wasn't the first time.

It appears that most of his early 50's material is out of print, and I really like the album I mentioned above, from '57... Time to hunt for LP's!
There's a version of Cosmopolite that is in print.
a modern cd that's worth giving a listen is Songbook.

i don't have that many of his cds, although he does turn up on a ton of albums.

Swifty

#21 Post by Swifty » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:54 am

Jazz From Lincoln Center honors the memory of the great Benny Carter by broadcasting his 88th birthday celebration from our archive:

IN THE MOOD FOR SWING: FEATURING BENNY CARTER
The legendary arranger and bandleader Benny Carter helped define the
sound of the alto saxophone. He also created a string of great tunes
like "Key Largo," Cow Cow Boogie" and "You Bring Out the
Best in Me" that musicians love to play and sing. Joe Williams and Bobby Short joined Carter to celebrate his 88th birthday at Jazz at Lincoln Center.

To listen, click to http://www.jazzradio.org/bennycarterpgm.htm