Overplayed songs to Balboa to

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

vintagefreak

Overplayed songs to Balboa to

#1 Post by vintagefreak » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Kind of curious whether there are any songs out there that are used for Balboa that are way overplayed. Songs you would rather not hear anymore.

Cyrano de Maniac

#2 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 am

I wouldn't say that I don't want to hear it anymore, but overexposure has made Bechet's "Blues My Naughty Sweety Gives To Me" a lot less interesting for me.

Brent

zzzzoom

#3 Post by zzzzoom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Joshua Fit the Battle

fredo

#4 Post by fredo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm

blues my naughty and joshua fit the battle

this surprises me. not because they are considered overplayed (i can see that, though they are fun songs to dance to), but because they show up as overplayed "balboa songs". I don't care to get into all the minutia of what a "balboa song" is, because that is discussed in lots of other places, but I would never have guessed these two songs would be the first two listed. When I hear these songs, I'm usually thinking that I'd like to swing out or lindy hop in general.

talk about breaking stereotypes!

anyway, just an observation. please continue listing for the benefit of the OP

CountBasi

#5 Post by CountBasi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm

fredo wrote:blues my naughty and joshua fit the battle

this surprises me. not because they are considered overplayed (i can see that, though they are fun songs to dance to), but because they show up as overplayed "balboa songs". I don't care to get into all the minutia of what a "balboa song" is, because that is discussed in lots of other places, but I would never have guessed these two songs would be the first two listed. When I hear these songs, I'm usually thinking that I'd like to swing out or lindy hop in general.

Spot on. Never seen anyone Bal to these.

And to answer the original question, overplayed songs for Bal that I'd rather not hear any more, 'Minor Swing' - give me strength. The Django version, but I'm sure any other would also make me want to exit stage left pronto.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

vintagefreak

#6 Post by vintagefreak » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I am really isolated here. So I don't know any of the trends in swing music of the nation.(Well only what I read here too.) I only get out of Texas twice a year. Songs overplayed elsewhere are not overplayed here. Actually the two songs listed I picked up at Cleveland Bal event 2 years ago. I mix them into my sets because no one else here plays them.

So pretty much this comes down to the ole thread about overplayed swing songs and the Balboable overplayed song is one in the same?

dogpossum

#7 Post by dogpossum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 am

Yeah, Minor Swing. Campus Five version. I never want to hear it again (sorry Jonathan). Actually, I'd just like to hear any other version...

Haydn

#8 Post by Haydn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:19 am

zzzzoom wrote:Joshua Fit the Battle
CountBasi wrote:Never seen anyone Bal to these.
Are we talking about the Sidney Bechet recording of Joshua Fit the Battle with the hand-claps? It's not familiar to me as a Balboa track, but I think it would work, as it's 174bpm and has lots of energy.

I agree that 'Minor Swing' is 'overplayed' for Balboa in my limited experience.

fredo

#9 Post by fredo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 am

vintagefreak wrote:I am really isolated here. So I don't know any of the trends in swing music of the nation.(Well only what I read here too.)
Then I wouldn't worry about it! You can play whatever you like to use to get people dancing.

penguin

#10 Post by penguin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:22 am

Cyrano de Maniac wrote:I wouldn't say that I don't want to hear it anymore, but overexposure has made Bechet's "Blues My Naughty Sweety Gives To Me" a lot less interesting for me.

Brent
There's an alternate take (from the same 1951 recording session - I found it on the Fabulous Sidney Bechet) of Blues my Naughty that I like more than the one usually played at most gigs. It's slightly slower and the percussion isn't nearly as overt. It feels a lot smoother and I wish it was played more.

zzzzoom

#11 Post by zzzzoom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 am

CountBasi wrote:

Spot on. Never seen anyone Bal to these.

And to answer the original question, overplayed songs for Bal that I'd rather not hear any more, 'Minor Swing' - give me strength. The Django version, but I'm sure any other would also make me want to exit stage left pronto.
I dj pretty much exclusively at Bal events (ABW, Bal Jam, EBC, etc) and trust me, these two songs were over-played a couple of years ago. And now, (thankfully) they aren't really played at all anymore. But I still cringe when I hear them.

Haydn

#12 Post by Haydn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am

zzzzoom wrote:

I dj pretty much exclusively at Bal events (ABW, Bal Jam, EBC, etc) and trust me, these two songs were over-played a couple of years ago. And now, (thankfully) they aren't really played at all anymore. But I still cringe when I hear them.
Do you mean the Sidney Bechet Joshua Fit The Battle (about 174bpm with hand claps)?

zzzzoom

#13 Post by zzzzoom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 am

Yes.

vintagefreak

#14 Post by vintagefreak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 am

I use to overplay Mora's MR Vipers Moan and Rigamarole