If you could bring only ONE Ellington CD...

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

If you could bring only ONE Ellington CD...

#1 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:24 am

to a dance you were Djing what would it be?

SirScratchAlot

#2 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:36 am

the early years no doubt.....it has everything Id ever want to dance to, from Blues to mid tempos , to a couple hot ones...

This would Probably be my desert island selection as well.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

AlekseyKosygin

#3 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:14 pm

Hmmm...Guess no one here likes Ellington...

Mike

#4 Post by Mike » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:42 am

AlekseyKosygin wrote:Hmmm...Guess no one here likes Ellington...
Ha ha ha!

I only didn't respond because it's an impossible question. Maybe if I was allowed to make my own mix CD, of all his different musical styles through the years, I'd be somewhat content. But there isn't any one CD I know of that has everything I would include.

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:56 am

something from his Jungle band I supppose
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

AlekseyKosygin

#6 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:09 am

Mike wrote:
Ha ha ha!

I only didn't respond because it's an impossible question. Maybe if I was allowed to make my own mix CD, of all his different musical styles through the years, I'd be somewhat content. But there isn't any one CD I know of that has everything I would include.
I know it's tough but I thought some people might have one CD by Duke that was their favorite for dancing...I think I'm leaning towards the earlier stuff too...

Ryan

#7 Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:19 am

Well if you're allowing collections I'd probably take the entire Centennial for volume alone, but somehow I don't think that's what you meant. :)

mark0tz

#8 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:24 am

Often times my favorite songs come off of CD's that only have a handful of good or great songs for dancing -- especially with Duke Ellington because his music was so all over the place (in wonderful ways) at times. But if you're going to hold me to one CD:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... avqj7ioj0a

If I get an album, maybe Duke at Fargo 1940. If I get a box set, maybe Blanton Webster (aside from Complete RCA of course :P).
Mike Marcotte

Drew

#9 Post by Drew » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:57 am

Jazz Archives' Small Units disc or the Blanton-Webster set.

Lawrence

#10 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Mike wrote:
Ha ha ha!

Ditto.

I would not automatically choose older Ellington. As Roy wrote about Basie, my favorite Ellington CD right now is the one I purchased most recently: Historically Speaking. But I'm not sure that would be my "desert-island" choice because I know I have not gotten past the novelty of owning it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#11 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:58 am

Mike wrote:
Ha ha ha!

word. that was a really uninformed statement given what i know about the Ellington collections of some of the people on this list. even the Fargo cd that Mike mentioned is 2 cds. Possibly there are some Ellington compilations out there that might include much of what you like, but most Ellington collectors have those songs on other sets and so have little incentive to get them. Except perhaps in the case of something like that remastered cd, Koko, that was mentioned in The Remastered Ellington thread.

JesseMiner

#12 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:14 am

Mike wrote:
Ha ha ha!

I gotta say I was thinking the exact same thing as well.

Ellington was such a prolific recorder, with danceable music being only a small slice of the pie. Offhand, I can't think of a single album that I would choose as that one Ellington album to bring to a dance. I'd want songs from so many different albums from so many different eras of his extensive recording career.

Jesse

AlekseyKosygin

#13 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:25 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
Mike wrote:
Ha ha ha!

word. that was a really uninformed statement given what i know about the Ellington collections of some of the people on this list. even the Fargo cd that Mike mentioned is 2 cds. Possibly there are some Ellington compilations out there that might include much of what you like, but most Ellington collectors have those songs on other sets and so have little incentive to get them. Except perhaps in the case of something like that remastered cd, Koko, that was mentioned in The Remastered Ellington thread.
Haha...I only said that to get some responses and it looked like it worked...I knew it was a hard question and I know hardly anyone here would be pleased with their answer however there is always something you can pick if you had to...

Boxsets are fine too I guess, I'm just looking to pick up some good stuff...

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:11 am

I'd burn my own "Box Set". :)

KevinSchaper

#15 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:17 pm

man, can't nobody read the rules..

Blues in Orbit.

if I could make a mix, it would have a ton of stuff from Braggin in Brass, Blanton-Webster and Black, Brown & Beige, and plenty of later albums.. but the man said one, and that's my one.