If you could bring only ONE Ellington CD...

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#16 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:50 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:man, can't nobody read the rules..

Blues in Orbit.

if I could make a mix, it would have a ton of stuff from Braggin in Brass, Blanton-Webster and Black, Brown & Beige, and plenty of later albums.. but the man said one, and that's my one.
since you want to be technical. there's no stipulation in the original
presentation of the question that the cd can't be burned.

KevinSchaper

#17 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:39 am

CafeSavoy wrote: since you want to be technical. there's no stipulation in the original
presentation of the question that the cd can't be burned.
Ah ha! but what about the limited lifespan of a CDR?

(especially in the sun!)

:)

KevinSchaper

#18 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:35 pm

KevinSchaper wrote: (especially in the sun!)
oh yeah, this is a dj gig, not a desert island.. nevermind.

funkyfreak

#19 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:01 pm

I was about to ask you where you get such fine quality narcotics... 8)

-FF

djstarr

#20 Post by djstarr » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:49 pm

Kevin *is* from Eugene --- I was thinking the same thing - he must have gone mushroom gathering on his way back home from VLE - ;-()

KevinSchaper

#21 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:21 pm

djstarr wrote:Kevin *is* from Eugene --- I was thinking the same thing - he must have gone mushroom gathering on his way back home from VLE - ;-()
You know, I *did* miss out on the country fair this weekend..

[edit, scary hippy picture removed... for the sake of the children]
Last edited by KevinSchaper on Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

main_stem

#22 Post by main_stem » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:14 am

back to the topic at hand.

I'd bring Soul Call.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

JesseMiner

#23 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:44 pm

main_stem wrote:I'd bring Soul Call.
If you dig Soul Call and are a big Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald fan, I highly recommend the 8-CD collection where all those songs are taken from: Cote d'Azur Concerts on Verve.

Jesse

kitkat

#24 Post by kitkat » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:12 am

KevinSchaper wrote:Blues in Orbit.
Why? For listening or DJing? I can only find one song off that CD that grabs me, but maybe if I got some track recommendations, I could listen to them more attentively and find I like them better.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#25 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:34 pm

The Proper Boxset for Ellington may not be 1 CD but I'm pretty happy with it...I'm beginning to see why it's so hard to answer my question...

But if I HAD to answer it...I would choose the real early thirties Mood Indigo era...I'm listening to song right now called "Echoes Of The Jungle" (1931), it's great stuff...

Soupbone

#26 Post by Soupbone » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:41 pm

The OKeh Ellington 2 disc set would be it for me.... but I have to admit being woefully short on Ellington in my collection.
Gary

KevinSchaper

#27 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:45 am

kitkat wrote:
Why? For listening or DJing? I can only find one song off that CD that grabs me, but maybe if I got some track recommendations, I could listen to them more attentively and find I like them better.
Villesville, Three J's, Smada & Pie Eye's are the ones I've probably used off of it the most.. the C Jam and Mellotone are both good, but I don't really go to 'em much. and I like, but always forget about, the slow blues stuff too, Blues in Orbit & Blues & Sweet and Pungent..

It might also be sentimental though, because I think it was the first ellington stuff that really grabbed me..

Lawrence

#28 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:29 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
kitkat wrote:
Villesville, Three J's, Smada & Pie Eye's are the ones I've probably used off of it the most.. the C Jam and Mellotone are both good, but I don't really go to 'em much. and I like, but always forget about, the slow blues stuff too, Blues in Orbit & Blues & Sweet and Pungent..
I was going to say it a while back when Kevin originally posted it, but "Blues In Orbit" is definitely one of my favorite Ellington CDs, as well.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

kitkat

#29 Post by kitkat » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm

This is the most generic Ellington thread I can find, so I'll post this here (like Swifty, I hate thread clutter in forums...sorry to those of you who'd rather I start a new one).

Anyway, for those of you who like "Soul Call," a live 1966 recording that has a pretty interesting "Main Stem" (if you ever saw Minneapolis dancers bust out a line dance to "Main Stem," this is the version it was choreographed to) and "Kinda Dukish / Rockin' in Rhythm" (please, people, play this! I'm the only one at events I go to who does, and I never get to dance to it), I present:

Piano In the Background

It has the same arrangements (Blanton-Webster-era and other great stuff reinterpreted and still swinging hard), but recorded in a studio and balanced quite differently in volume among the sections than the live takes of the same arrangements. If you find yourself in a same-song DJ battle against someone who plays off Soul Call, this album might be a great weapon.

I haven't tested it on the dance floor, but I'm eager to.

Eyeball

#30 Post by Eyeball » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:56 am

How about his MARY POPPINS album? It has lots of songs everone knows and it is a much better album than I ever thought it would be.

Or maybe the two 'big band hits' albums he did at around the same time in the 60s.

Good stuff. Stereo. Hi-Fi.

All of them came out on a Mosiac box set, but maybe the individual albums have come out on individual CDs.