Last 10?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jake

#61 Post by Jake » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:58 pm

main_stem wrote:Verve has just reissued his Mis'ry and the Blues on CD for the first time. I haven't heard it yet so I can't coment.
Bought that a couple of weeks ago -- It's pretty mellow throughout, but has some good stuff on it, including "Don't tell a man about his woman" which I really dig.

djstarr

How best to spend $100?

#62 Post by djstarr » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:35 pm

So I'm bragging a little here - a good friend of mine gave me a $100 gift certificate for Christmas to Silver Platters. So if you were me how would you best spend your money?

I have Jack Teagarden and Fats Waller on the buy list, but I'm looking for other suggestions - thanks!

main_stem

Re: How best to spend $100?

#63 Post by main_stem » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:23 am

djstarr wrote:So I'm bragging a little here - a good friend of mine gave me a $100 gift certificate for Christmas to Silver Platters. So if you were me how would you best spend your money?

I have Jack Teagarden and Fats Waller on the buy list, but I'm looking for other suggestions - thanks!
I'll give you a couple:

Henry Red Allen--World on a String (out of print but they might have it): One of my favorite albums I picked up last year. I listened to it for 5 days straight. I've been playing something off it almost every night I spin.

The Sound of Jazz: Mostly for listening.

Gerry Muligan meets Johnny Hodges: I about pissed myself when I saw this one. It's been out of print for 40 years even thouh Back Beat was available on a Hodge's comp for years. It's definitely more blues and ballads with a few dance tracks.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#64 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks Kevin for the suggestions. I did find a copy of Jack Teagarden's "That's a Serious Thing" today on Amazon - looking forward to listening to it.

djstarr

#65 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:55 am

Here are my latest purchases - thanks to everyone who has given me recommendations on the forum - I think there is only one item from the list below that wasn't discussed here!

With the Silver Platters gift certificate:
Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now
Jimmie Lunceford - Lunceford Special
Milt Jackson/Count Basie Vol. 2
Pearl Django - Swing 48
Henry Red Allen - Ride, Red, Ride
The Very Best of Fats Waller RCA
Jack Teagarden - 1931/1934 Vol. 2 (Jazz Archives)
Ellington's Small Units
Slam Stewart - Bowin' Singin' Slam (ok, what's Slam's birth name?)

I also ordered:
Ernestine Anderson - Love Makes the Changes (Her new album released in October, at 75 she can still sing!)
Henry Red Allen - World on a String
Earl Hines/Jimmy Rushing - Blues and Things
Slim and Slam - The Complete Columbia Master Takes

and online a couple of days ago:
Jack Teagarden - That's a Serious Thing
Maxine Sullivan - Tribute to Andy Razaf

That should keep me busy until I go shopping with Julius and Reuben at the binge!

lindyholic

#66 Post by lindyholic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:50 pm

I think you'll quite enjoy the Ellington Small Groups stuff, I know I have been.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#67 Post by djstarr » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:17 pm

Ok, after listening to these, here is what I like/don't like:

Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now - as some folks already said good to listen, some stuff is probably danceable.
Jimmie Lunceford - Lunceford Special - Go out and buy this if you don't have it - every track is a hit
Milt Jackson/Count Basie Vol. 2 - don't like it too much
Pearl Django - Swing 48 - if you like Balboa, you'll like this - also has a couple of waltzes and cha chas, excellent CD.
Henry Red Allen - Ride, Red, Ride - Fun, covers late 20's, 30's and early 40's - nice album
The Very Best of Fats Waller RCA - fun to listen to, but his vocals are annoying - and this is from someone who likes vocals.
Jack Teagarden - 1931/1934 Vol. 2 (Jazz Archives) - excellent
Ellington's Small Units - excellent
Slam Stewart - Bowin' Singin' Slam - half of this is ok, some of the stuff is a little out there and the quality isn't too good
Ernestine Anderson - Love Makes the Changes - great for blues!
Earl Hines/Jimmy Rushing - Blues and Things - nice;
Jack Teagarden - That's a Serious Thing - excellent - the stuff with Louis Armstrong is great - Jack-Armstrong Blues is one of my new favorite songs
Maxine Sullivan - Tribute to Andy Razaf - nice mellow CD, a little overplayed in Seattle I think, but worth getting.

Swifty

#68 Post by Swifty » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:09 pm

djstarr wrote:The Very Best of Fats Waller RCA - fun to listen to, but his vocals are annoying - and this is from someone who likes vocals.
WHA!?!?!?!

falty411

#69 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:08 am

djstarr wrote:The Very Best of Fats Waller RCA - fun to listen to, but his vocals are annoying - and this is from someone who likes vocals.
you need to smoke more pot
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swingwombat

#70 Post by Swingwombat » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:38 am

My latest additions

Loch Lomond - Maxine Sullivan
Thinking of you, Joe Barbara Morrison
I KNow How To Do It - Barbara Morrison
Live Down Under - Barbara Morrison
Visit Me - Barbara Morrison (She was I Melbourne and I went to the gig (I Love her so much! :D ) )
Now You Has Jazz - Louis Armstrong
1937 Artie Shaw
Live @ ChaChas - Yvette Johannson and Jazz Avenue, Yvette is a local singer (and dancer) who is a great friend and this is her first cd. Some of it is really nice for dancing other for just listening

:D Di

djstarr

#71 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:16 am

falty411 wrote:
you need to smoke more pot
obviously you and Swifty have beat me to it...........maybe I've been smoking *crack* instead of pot, but I felt the vocals obscured the beat more so than any vocals I've listened to.

But wtf, I haven't spun that many songs off of it, so I'll try it out and see what the response is.

Matthew

#72 Post by Matthew » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:24 am

1934-1937 - Earl Hines (Love it, love it, love it!)
Steppin' On the Blues - Tommy Ladnier (Very fun.)
The Golden Years, Vol. 2 (1938) - Basie (Also very fun.)
Just One of Those Things: Lionel Hampton Featuring Oscar Peterson on Verve ("Hamp's Boogie-Woogie" is the reason I got it, and is easily reason enough.)
Peggy Lee: The Best of the Singles Collection (Remix of the well-worn song.)
The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order - Django (Packed with fun stuff.)
Verve Jazz Masters 2 - Basie (My intro to New Testament Basie. I prefer the old stuff. Fun CD, though.)
Dixieland and Swing - Various (El Cheapo boxed set. Some fun stuff, though.)
Township Jazz 'n Jive - Various (I love it, but I have to send it back because I got it used and it skips. Plus, the seller's been a royal pain.)
Breakfast Dance and Barbecue - Basie (Fun, but skips. Borders will get it back. Not sure whether or not I'll get another copy.)

Swifty

#73 Post by Swifty » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:37 pm

falty411 wrote:you need to smoke more pot
Just say no!
djstarr wrote:obviously you and Swifty have beat me to it...........maybe I've been smoking *crack* instead of pot, but I felt the vocals obscured the beat more so than any vocals I've listened to.

But wtf, I haven't spun that many songs off of it, so I'll try it out and see what the response is.
Seriously, drugs not required to dig on Fats. His "Honeysuckle Rose" rules.

djstarr

#74 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:52 pm

Swifty wrote: Seriously, drugs not required to dig on Fats. His "Honeysuckle Rose" rules.
oh yeah, I agree - I should have been a little bit more detailed with my review - Honeysuckle Rose is awesome, Sheik of Araby, All that Meat and No Potatoes - and the last three vocals I like [Two Sleepy People, Good Man is Hard to Find, Your Feet's Too Big]. I also dig the solo piano stuff.

However, I really like Louis' version of I'm Crazy 'Bout my Baby on Satch Play Fats better; and where the vocals really annoy me is on Somebody Stole My Gal.

lindyholic

#75 Post by lindyholic » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:42 pm

I think the next VRX should be dubbed "Fats Waller Night" :).

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.