Last 10?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Campus Five

#151 Post by Campus Five » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:57 am

I think the thing with Proper sets it that they are generally a good survey - much better than a single CD "Best of". But if an artist had a really long career, and/or you want even more, then the proper boxes start to be redundant. The best example is the Basie box. The next step beyond the Basie proper box is to get the complete decca/columbia/rca sets on definitive, which make the set redundant.
The Jack Teagarden box has the other problem. T's career was so long that no part of his career really gets very much treatment. It's only got one or two tunes from each group or session.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Haydn

#152 Post by Haydn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 am

They're not bad, but for me, there's better value out there, particularly if you are looking for good sound quality. For example -

Avid
http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Past Perfect,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000057BDC

Membran
http://www.membran.net/db_php_eng/index.php

julius

#153 Post by julius » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:26 pm

Hm, I'll have to go back and listen to my Past Perfect CDs to see if the sound is better than the Propers. I don't remember that being so, but I am also an old man with a bad memory...

trev

#154 Post by trev » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:31 pm

The Past Perfect CDs I own are pretty ordinary, quality-wise.

Haydn

#155 Post by Haydn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:48 pm

trev wrote:The Past Perfect CDs I own are pretty ordinary, quality-wise.
Which ones do you have Trev?

lipi

#156 Post by lipi » Fri May 26, 2006 12:10 am

i spent last weekend in new york, buying cd's and, sadly, not making it to the clark terry show. i used the former to soothe the pain of the latter.

at academy:

duke ellington('s spacemen), "the cosmic scene": total craziness. duke cashing in on the space race craze, with clark terry cashing in on the slightly less well-known fluegelhorn craze. has some random blues songs for you slow freaks. at first listen, i think "jones" (and its alternate take), "perdido", and "take the 'a' train" would be good to dance to.

louis armstrong, "satchmo '54" (jazzUp/new sound planet, 1988): amazon and allmusic have never heard of this cd, which makes it that much cooler, of course. it's a bunch of radio transcripts armstrong did for a station in new york that seemed to have been aimed at colleges. this stuff is really only interesting to completists, i imagine. sound quality isn't fabulous, and the recordings aren't wonderfully superior to similar ones on other albums.

at norman's:

bill henderson, "his complete veejay recordings, volume 2": i didn't really buy this to dj from, actually, but you can dance to quite a bit of it.

louis armstrong, "the sullivan years": most tracks have some ed sullivan intro, and some have a bit of echo. not the greatest to dj from, probably, but it's louis, and i didn't have it, so it got bought.

at jazz record center:

count basie, "satch and josh...again": i think this album got three mentions on the first page of this topic.

count basie, "the golden years, vol.2: 1938": rockin'. discussed elsewhere, i believe, and highly endorsed by matthew there.

count basie, "the golden years, vol.4: 1944/45": v-discs, this time. whatever. who cares. basie. we've all agreed to treat him like a god, i think, so just go buy it. right now. that's right. go.

louis armstrong, "paris jazz concert 1962": jesus could that man play. anyway, this is armstrong and his all-stars generic concert #417, complete with the same introductions and jokes. good sound, though, and i take back that bit about basie being a god. clearly louis is a god. basie is merely mortal. anyway: nice "saints", "bbq", "st. louis blues", and a good slower version of "now you has jazz".

louis armstrong, "historic barcelona concerts at the windsor palace 1955": nice sound, nice packaging (with a small copy of the programme from '55, with old ads, etc.), not complete. they rushed three concerts into one day, and i think you can hear it here and there (edmond hall on "sweet georgia brown" sounds like he's struggling a little with his reed). i'm unlikely to dj from this. i have good live versions of most things on "california concerts" and other albums already.

jimmy dorsey, "contrasts": it was on sale. i haven't really listened to it yet.

duke ellington, "blues in orbit": oops. i already have it. anyway.

erskine hawkins, "1938/1940": great stuff. only had a quick listen, but it all sounded danceable.

fletcher henderson, "the crown king of swing": i don't think i'll dj very much off this cd. mostly makes me want to one-step, not lindy.

john kirby and his sextet, "complete associated transcriptions": i got all three volumes. fun stuff! where's that thread on classical music in swing again?

and four volumes of the benny goodman yale music archives. i haven't listened to much of them yet.

Eyeball

#157 Post by Eyeball » Fri May 26, 2006 2:06 am

How's the sound on that Fletcher Henderson CD? The original 78s had a kind of muffled sound to them....and even a pronounced hum on a few tracks. Oddball, short-lived label - Crown
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#158 Post by lipi » Sat May 27, 2006 12:11 am

sound's not great, and perhaps what one might call a little muffled on some tracks. there's persistent hiss on all of them. i didn't hear a hum, but i listened to it over kind of a crappy stereo without headphones just now. if i thought any of the tracks were great lindy tunes, i'd spin 'em.

i can take it to work next week and listen to it over some good headphones, if you'd like. any particular track you know hums on the 78's?

incidentally, the liner notes imply that the "irrepleacable savoy master recordings" are lost so they must have transfered from the 78's. they mention some fantastic new ultra-3l33t denon digital sound recovery mojo. this mojo, it is claimed, recreated the sound of the lost masters, making them perhaps more repleacable than the reader was led to believe.

Eyeball

#159 Post by Eyeball » Sat May 27, 2006 12:25 am

lipi wrote:sound's not great, and perhaps what one might call a little muffled on some tracks. there's persistent hiss on all of them. i didn't hear a hum, but i listened to it over kind of a crappy stereo without headphones just now. if i thought any of the tracks were great lindy tunes, i'd spin 'em.

i can take it to work next week and listen to it over some good headphones, if you'd like. any particular track you know hums on the 78's?

incidentally, the liner notes imply that the "irrepleacable savoy master recordings" are lost so they must have transfered from the 78's. they mention some fantastic new ultra-3l33t denon digital sound recovery mojo. this mojo, it is claimed, recreated the sound of the lost masters, making them perhaps more repleacable than the reader was led to believe.
I used to have a few of the Henderson 78s on Crown and there was a hum on at least one of them, but it is so long ago, I cant recall which. I was surprised, though that a record company would release a record with audible hum on it.

Some of those soides came out on a cheapie LP which I still have. The Everest label.

Yeah.....I have no idea who/what/where the originals Crown.

Why does the CD say "savoy master recordings" when they are on Crown?

Charleston Charlie

#160 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sat May 27, 2006 12:07 pm

I have been on a spending spree.

The Lecouna Cuban Boys: Vol. 5
The Lecouna Cuban Boys: Vol. 7
Antobal's Cubans
Ernesto Lecuona: Cuban Originals
Hoagy Carmichael
Casa Loma Orchestra 1929-30-Casa Loma Stomp
Glen Gray And Casa Loma Orches Transcription Sessions 1935
It's Hotter In Hawaii/Various It's Hotter In Hawaii / Various (JSP)
Hoagy Carmichael First Of The Singer Songwriters (JSP)
Cole Porter: Let's Misbehave
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

lipi

#161 Post by lipi » Sat May 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Why does the CD say "savoy master recordings" when they are on Crown?
the cd has an lp-sized (all 12 tracks appeared on a 1985 lp before) reproduction of an essay by phil schaap, which explains crown went under, varsity got most of their releases, and varsity was bought by savoy. cleverly, savoy is being released by nippon columbia in japan. record labels are worse than car manufacturers.

the remastering comment is, i think, meant to apply to a whole series of cd's, not just this one, and they just used the generic "savoy master recordings" on all of 'em.