Last 10?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

#106 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:17 am

Matthew wrote:...I'd like to hear what you think about Earl Hines & the Duke's Men. It's on my wish list.
I bought this CD last year in preparing to do a birthday tribute for Earl Hines. I thought with the personel it would be great.

I was dissapointed. It is just OK to me for listening. Given the personel I was expecting a lot more. I'm not sure how well it is for dancing.

wheato

#107 Post by wheato » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:26 am

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:
I bought this CD last year in preparing to do a birthday tribute for Earl Hines. I thought with the personel it would be great.

I was dissapointed. It is just OK to me for listening. Given the personel I was expecting a lot more. I'm not sure how well it is for dancing.
Well, I found several tracks to be very appealing to dancers, particularly some of the 1944 tracks from the Earl Hines Sextet and the Sonny Greer "Rextet" (featuring Rex Stewart), such as "Ration Jump" (Greer) and "Design For Jivin'" (Hines). The Cat Anderson tunes from 1947 reflect more jump blues influence, but a couple of them are passable too.

I think this probably is a difference between reviewing for dancers vs. radio programming.

Jerry_Jelinek

#108 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:02 pm

wheato wrote:Well, I found several tracks to be very appealing to dancers, particularly some of the 1944 tracks ....
:oops: I quoted the wrong CD. :oops:

The CD I bought is called 'Once Upon a Time'. It has a lot of Ellington personel. This CD is from 1966!!!!

Never mind what I said about the 'Duke's Men' cd.

Swifty

#109 Post by Swifty » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:28 pm

Matthew wrote:I'd like to hear what you think about Earl Hines & the Duke's Men. It's on my wish list.
I really like this album, although only a song or two from it has made it into my DJ rotation.

djstarr

#110 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:00 pm

kitkat wrote:7. Teddy Wilson, Jumpin' for Joy (Hep).
I haven't listened to much. Bought it so I'd have a swinging version of "In the Mood" to play if someone ever requested it, and because I'd heard it was a great album.
8. Various Artists, Harlem Swings (Our World Entertainment).
Pleasant surprise--I'd forgotten it had two discs by the time it came in the mail. Tonya, Giselle, Brenda, or Kyle played "Playboy" from it at the Binge, and the rest of the album looked good. Haven't listened yet.
I don't have Harlem Swings so it wasn't me, I have about half that material on other CDs but it looks like a nice collection.

Some tracks I especially like off Jumpin' for Joy are Early Session Hop, Wham! (Re Bop Boom Bam), I never Knew and Oh Lady Be Good.

GemZombie

#111 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:58 pm

Matthew wrote: I'd like to hear what you think about Earl Hines & the Duke's Men. It's on my wish list.
It's pretty good really. I play some selections from it fairly often.

Some dancable highlights are the Sonny Greer feature "Ration Stomp", the Earl Hines tune Design for Jivin', Cat Anderson's "I Gotta Go Baby" (which is a bit on the campy side, but I dig it).

There's two versions of the Sunny Greer feature "Kansas City Caboose" that I quite enjoy. Not necessarily the best dance tune.

Some good bluesy stuff on this CD. Overall I recommend it.

I'm not sure I agree with Jerry's comments about it... though I can see the point that considering the personel you should expect some phenominal performances... If you're looking for the best of the best of these people you're looking in the wrong place. It is, however, a good collection of music.

kitkat

#112 Post by kitkat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:52 am

djstarr wrote:Some tracks I especially like off Jumpin' for Joy are Early Session Hop, Wham! (Re Bop Boom Bam)
I have another version I like better (I think it's Jimmie Lunceford, off Lunceford Special?) so I haven't played the Wilson yet. I might do it for variety sometime, though.

I have played "In the Mood" at some event recently, though, simply because that's the song I bought the CD for (it's nice buying CDs with school club money...no hesitations about doing that sort of thing). After a DJ battle here, the emcee told me he kept hoping a later-40's-preference DJ (though who played more 30's stuff that night) would play "In the Mood" because then he'd easily win the tournament over the more rockabillyish people. I felt like he had a point, and though I wouldn't want to compromise myself so far as to play that in a battle where I only get a few songs to represent myself, it's definitely a song to get a beginner-intermediate crowd going, and the Wilson version actually swings. (Haha: you know it does when you're out on the floor at Showdown and it doesn't annoy the hell out of you--in fact, you keep dancing!)

djstarr

#113 Post by djstarr » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:10 pm

I've bought a bunch of stuff since the beginning of the summer but am still slowly cataloguing and introducing them. Here are some of them:

"Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson" - slow slow groovy groovy, nice mellow sound
Ray Brown "Some of My Best Friends Are Singers" - excellent compilation, recorded fairly recently - has Diana Krall, Kevin Mahogany, and other singers. My favorite track is "Poor Butterfly" by Etta Jones.
Ray Charles "Let's Have a Ball" - Classic Ray
Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" - I wrote about this in another thread; last work recorded before he passed; some of it I like a lot, others I don't - the arrangements are pretty horrendous.
Woody Herman - "Giants of the Big Band Era" - bought this for copies of Caldonia and Woodchopper's Ball, but i'm not sure if I like the entire CD that much.
Jack Teagarden "Misery and the Blues" - by far the best CD I've bought the past 6 months, I just can't get enough of Mr. T. Great version of Basin St. Blues.
Rosemary Clooney/Duke Ellington Orchestra "Blue Rose" - at first I didn't like the CD but it's subtle and complicated; now I really love it and it has a beautiful version of Mood Indigo.
Eddie Condon "Dixieland All-Stars" - sounds isn't that great and Pee Wee Russell was having some off moments; however I do like the tracks with Jack Teagarden on them.
Roy Eldridge/Little Jazz "Best of the Verve Years" - 2nd best acquisition of the summer. Has great players backing him - including Oscar Peterson on both organ and piano, and Buddy Rich.

Matthew

#114 Post by Matthew » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:08 am

I use MusicMatch to organize my files, and if a CD has multiple musicians, the program sometimes just throws the files in a folder I call call "various." Well, right now I'm going through that folder, and it's like a treasure trove of great stuff! So far, I've found stuff by Teddy Wilson, Ella, Bechet, Bix, Muggsy Spanier, Lester Young, Earl Warren, Artie Shaw, Albert Ammons, Jelly Roll Morton, the Dorsey brothers, Pete Johnson, Sarah Vaughan, and others. While this doesn't comprise my last 10 CDs, it's really cool! Plus, I haven't even gone through the "various blues" folder yet!

lindyholic

#115 Post by lindyholic » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:52 pm

I just went on a major spree yesterday :)...Expecting them all within the week.

Mills Blue Rhythm Band 1936 - 1937
Chick Webb - Stompin At The Savoy
Chick Webb - 1929 - 1934
Count Basie - The Count Basie Story
Bob Crosby - A Proper Introduction to Bob Crosby
Casa Loma Orchestra - Boneyard Shuffle
Casa Loma Orchestra - Maniac's Ball
Casa Loma Orchestra - 1929 - 1930
Bob Crosby - Bob Crosby and his Bobcats

I'm very excited for getting this stuff.

Next on the buying list, LOTS of Sidney Bechet.
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

main_stem

#116 Post by main_stem » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:33 pm

lindyholic wrote: Bob Crosby - A Proper Introduction to Bob Crosby
Bob Crosby - Bob Crosby and his Bobcats
Be carefull Harrison, I think there are a lot of overlap on these two albums: that is if the second one is the same one that I have.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

lindyholic

#117 Post by lindyholic » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:03 pm

Yep, that's my fault. There's still stuff on the second one that's not on the first, but yeah, there's overlap. I only paid like $8 for each of them so it's not like I'm losing a lot of money or anything.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Henry Hui Hui

#118 Post by Henry Hui Hui » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:08 pm

Lucky Millinder - Apollo Jumps
Earl Hines - The Classic Tracks
Gene Krupa - Drums, Drums, Drums
Willie Bryant - 1935-1936 (Chrono classics)
Barbara Morrison - Live At The Dakota
Various Artist - Jazz In Melbourne
Slim & Slam - Complete Columbia Master Takes

GemZombie

#119 Post by GemZombie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:00 pm

lindyholic wrote: Bob Crosby - A Proper Introduction to Bob Crosby
I just played a bunch of that today on my radio show. Very good collection. I particularly liked the version(s) of Diga Diga Doo.

trev

#120 Post by trev » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:05 pm

lindyholic wrote:I just went on a major spree yesterday :)...Expecting them all within the week.

Mills Blue Rhythm Band 1936 - 1937

Where did you get this one?. Just wondering because i've had bad luck ordering it online.