Deals

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Deals

#1 Post by Matthew » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:08 pm

So, get this: I finished work and went to Best Buy to wander around. I found a 2-CD, Billie Holiday set that I had been wanting (it had "Summertime"). Price: $25.00.

Then I found a 3-CD set that, unbeknownst to me (at the time), also had "Summertime." Price: $11.00.

Of course, I now own the 3-CD set. Sound quality is decent. Turns out there are no liner notes, but I don't mind too much. A price of $11.00 for 73 Billie Holiday songs on three brand-new CDs is okay with me!

What are some of the great deals you've found?

Lawrence

Re: Deals

#2 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:31 pm

Matthew wrote:What are some of the great deals you've found?
Besides going to the local library and copying their CD boxed sets?? 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

Re: Deals

#3 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:32 pm

Lawrence wrote:Besides going to the local library and copying their CD boxed sets?? 8)
Ooops... sorry... "[SARCASM]" :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:47 pm

I picked up the Proper 4-CD Lionel Hampton box set last week for $22 at the Virgin Megastore in Boston. It kind of made up for not finding anything from my want-list.

KevinSchaper

#5 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:02 pm

I picked up a 4 LP Louis + Allstars Decca box set for 9 bucks last week, it's sort of a musical biography where he talks about songs in between the actual cuts - and has lotsa nice pictures and stuff - and best of all in spite of being old enough to be shellac instead of vinyl, they sound great, almost no surface noise at all.

mark0tz

#6 Post by mark0tz » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:34 am

Got this kickass 4 CD Count Basie set last week for $15.99 at a used CD place. Now, here's where it gets better. The front says: Count Basie America's #1 Band The Columbia Years -- Promotional Use Only - Not For Sale - Available Fall 2003.

The quality of these recordings are great. All of disc 4 is live stuff and says previously unreleased: At the Famous Door, At the Savoy Ballroom (Both with Billie Holiday; one nice medium-tempo rendition of "Swing, Brother, Swing"), At the Meadowbrook Lounge, At the Panther Room, At Cafe Society Uptown... Ahhh, loveit.
Mike Marcotte

lindyholic

#7 Post by lindyholic » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:29 am

If you want great deals, go to A&B Sound if you're ever in British Columbia. There's some amazing finds and some great deals. All new too. I got Luncefor Special for 10$ Canadian. I also got a great 2 Disc Artie Shaw set for 16$ Canadian. They have an online store too...check it out!

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Greg Avakian

#8 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:06 am

Yep, Canada rules. I got a 5-CD Oscar Peterson disc fo $18CA. same with Jimmie Smith.

Drew

#9 Post by Drew » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:21 pm

I really like liner notes. They make good bathroom reading, and are very useful if you're into learning about the music.

Chronological Classics discs I think are English Imports and aren't cheap ($15-16 apiece, more for rarer releases) but the liner notes add a lot of value to what usually is stellar recording quality. I can't begin to count how many Chronological Classics discs I have. These collections are very good for major bandleaders and some of the more well-known players.

Jazz Archives discs are French Imports (I think) are also very good quality and are cheaper, about $11-13 per disc. I've got about three compilations of theirs so far: Jay McShann 1941-43 (I think), Vic Dickenson, and Don Byas. Duke Ellington's Small Units is another outstanding volume I plan on picking up very soon. Ample liner notes and again, stellar recording quality. These collections feature most of the major bandleaders and some other lesser-known players.

As far as other bargains, the best I've found have been in the used bins.

mark0tz

#10 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:12 pm

Just got this from Mosaic:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jazz Lovers,

The "TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MOSAIC" SALE

The "Take Advantage of Mosaic" sale earns you instant discounts on CDs and LPs from our True Blue music catalog when you buy sets from Mosaic Records. You get a full $5.00 off for every disc you buy from True Blue Music just from purchasing a Mosaic set. For example, buy a 5 LP or 5 CD set from Mosaic Records, and take $25.00 off any 5 CDs or 5 LPs you select from True Blue Music.

The promotion is now in effect ONLY through August 31st. This limited time offer allows you to buy True Blue CDs/LPs at basically wholesale prices with the purchase of a Mosaic Records set. Visit our website for details.
Mike Marcotte

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#11 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:50 pm

Drew wrote:I really like liner notes. They make good bathroom reading, and are very useful if you're into learning about the music.

Chronological Classics discs I think are English Imports and aren't cheap ($15-16 apiece, more for rarer releases) but the liner notes add a lot of value to what usually is stellar recording quality. I can't begin to count how many Chronological Classics discs I have. These collections are very good for major bandleaders and some of the more well-known players.

Jazz Archives discs are French Imports (I think) are also very good quality and are cheaper, about $11-13 per disc. I've got about three compilations of theirs so far: Jay McShann 1941-43 (I think), Vic Dickenson, and Don Byas. Duke Ellington's Small Units is another outstanding volume I plan on picking up very soon. Ample liner notes and again, stellar recording quality. These collections feature most of the major bandleaders and some other lesser-known players.

As far as other bargains, the best I've found have been in the used bins.
Chronological Classics is my fave jazz label ever...not always is the recording quality on these "stellar" but generally they are pretty decent and I mean they carry some artists that NO other label has...they are definetly imports (english or french not sure) and you can actually pick them all up at bn.com for usually 13 bucks...they have a distributor that always pulls through unlike Amazon...