Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

#16 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:46 am

I'm back

;)

Shorty Dave

#17 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:47 am

I'm curious, anyone have any Lucky with Earl May on bass by any chance? Earl used to play with Lucky and played quite often at the Savoy when he had week long and month long gigs there. Of course, Early May is currently part of the Junior Mance Trio who you all saw Sun night at HJDF.

main_stem

#18 Post by main_stem » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:16 am

Shorty Dave wrote:I'm curious, anyone have any Lucky with Earl May on bass by any chance? Earl used to play with Lucky and played quite often at the Savoy when he had week long and month long gigs there. Of course, Early May is currently part of the Junior Mance Trio who you all saw Sun night at HJDF.
Dave as far as I can tell he never recorded with Lucky Millinder.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Abdel

#19 Post by Abdel » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:03 pm

I'm glad to see that some of you guys are spinning Lucky Millinder. He recorded lots of great stuff. You guys ought to try to play other tracks from those cds mentioned. What more do you really need? I have over 30 tracks by him that you can spin for dancers. Heck, that is a lot better than I can say for other swing artists out there. Of course, the down side is the quality of some of the recordings, but I can live that with good stuff.

Roy

#20 Post by Roy » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:11 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:Just stay away from his later stuff...it's not swing at all...

on another note I recomend all Mill's Blue Rhythm Orchestra (which is the same Orchestra before they choose Lucky to lead it).

This stuff is ALL GREAT!!!! good lookin out on getting good music.....
On a jazz station here in Chicago they did a 1 hour special where they followed the Mill's Blue Rhythm Orchestra from 1930-1937. Good stuff. Very interesting how Tab Smith wrote Barrelhouse while Harry "sweets" Eddison was in the band. Then Edison joined Basie's band took almost the exact same arnagement changed the name to "jive at five" without giving original song credits. The radion anouncer wondered how Tab Smith and Harry Edison got along when Tab Smith joined the Basie band a little later.

SpuzBal

#21 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:46 pm

Does anyone know what a "mason flyer" actually is? I've been curious for a while.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

TacomaTony

#22 Post by TacomaTony » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:49 pm

Tobacco Rag is the Best Lucky Millinder song out there!

CafeSavoy

#23 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:25 pm

SpuzBal wrote:Does anyone know what a "mason flyer" actually is? I've been curious for a while.
it sounds like a sled. but it's probably a train.

SpuzBal

#24 Post by SpuzBal » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:30 pm

Ah, cool. Always nice to have a strange song title explained.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

CafeSavoy

#25 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm

i'm just guessing. no hits on google for "mason flyer."

Toon Town Dave

#26 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:26 am

I really have no clue my first guess was a wagon but listening to the music, I'd have to go with the train because the song or at least the first part of it kind of sounds like a steam locomotive which eventually blows it's whistle.

I can not find a reference to a "Mason" flyer in a streamliner/railroad context but following the introduction of the Burlington Zephyr (a diesel powered train), a lot of railroads fitted steam locomotives with a "streamlined" to make them look like they could go fast. Many of these trains were called something "flyer".

It looks like the songs was recorded in 1942 which is near the beginning of the war when railroads were starting to carry a lot more passengers and freight in a hurry. So I'd venture to guess that it's a generic train of the era.

Mr Awesomer

#27 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:03 am

I believe it was in reference to a south bound train, destination: south of the Mason Dixon line. More specificly, may have been a New York City to Washington DC route.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Platypus

#28 Post by Platypus » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:48 am

Picked up a Mills Blue Rhythm CD...thanks for the tip!

Lawrence

#29 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:52 am

Roy wrote:I have the Apollo Jump CD also, and play it allot. It kicks butt.
The Apollo Jump CD finally arrived, and it is great!! (Came out in 2002, long after I stopped looking for Millinder material). It has all but two of the good songs from the Chronological Classics 1943-47 CD that I recommended: Rock Me and a different, better version of "That's All." Other than to get those two songs, I'd recommend the Apollo Jump CD over the Chron Classics CD. It also has some kick-ass 1950s recordings in hi-fi!
sirscratchalot wrote:Just stay away from his later stuff...it's not swing at all...
Do you mean the 1950s stuff off Apollo Jump, which is straight-forward, kick-ass Jump Blues, or later than that? Or do you not consider it "Swing" because it's in hi-fi? :D :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#30 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:48 pm

Lawrence wrote:
sirscratchalot wrote:Just stay away from his later stuff...it's not swing at all...
Do you mean the 1950s stuff off Apollo Jump, which is straight-forward, kick-ass Jump Blues, or later than that? Or do you not consider it "Swing" because it's in hi-fi? :D :wink:
He probably means the later stuff is not Swing because, like you said, it's Jump Blues. You seem to be the only one around here who, even if you are just trying to be funny, keeps mentioning the use of sound quality to define musical genre.
Reuben Brown
Southern California