Music for Japanese Girls

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Music for Japanese Girls

#1 Post by Matthew » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:35 am

I have a friend who runs a summer camp for teenage girls (about 13-16 years old, I think) from Japan. This friend has asked me to put together a swing evening for 36 of them.

I'm going to lead a lesson in basic East Coast, and then I'll spin for the rest of the night. The thing is, I have NO IDEA what kind of music these girls would like. I asked my friend about this, and she said she'd leave it up to me. I'm going to ask some of the other people related with the camp, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

I'm thinking of playing a little old stuff (so that they can understand what it was like back in the day), and then playing modern pop because I think they'd like that the most (also, I think that the 130-ish tempo would be helpful for them because they'll be new, and because they'll be learning in a foreign language). Do you have any ideas about what these girls might like? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:00 am

Apparently your friend wants you to put together a swing night... so but a freakin' swing night together. Modern pop?!?!? It's obviously not a swing night if you play that shit... they can get that anywhere.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Soupbone

#3 Post by Soupbone » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:46 am

I agree with Reuben.... for once!

If they've asked you to do a swing night, then spin swing music unless otherwise directed. Presumably if they want modern pop, they can turn on the radio. :mrgreen:

julius

#4 Post by julius » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:16 pm

I think you should bring a large quantity of neo-swing, swing, and modern pop and see what they like. The point here is that they're at a SUMMER CAMP. They're supposed to be having fun, not becoming hardcore jazz fans.

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:26 pm

You can always spin some Yatta!

KevinSchaper

#6 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:46 pm

julius wrote:I think you should bring a large quantity of neo-swing, swing, and modern pop and see what they like. The point here is that they're at a SUMMER CAMP. They're supposed to be having fun, not becoming hardcore jazz fans.
kids like neoswing.

a few times I've had kids request "something fast" when what they really mean is something with a lot of energy and a heavy beat.

(I had a friend visit me with a 16 month old once for a few days, and it was really fun seeing what made him dance around - he was into trad stuff mostly.. :) )

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:02 pm

Yoko Noge has many swing songs with Japanese lyrics. I have new copies to sell, or you can get them directly from her at www.jazzmebluesmusic.com
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:17 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
julius wrote:I think you should bring a large quantity of neo-swing, swing, and modern pop and see what they like. The point here is that they're at a SUMMER CAMP. They're supposed to be having fun, not becoming hardcore jazz fans.
kids like neoswing.

a few times I've had kids request "something fast" when what they really mean is something with a lot of energy and a heavy beat.

(I had a friend visit me with a 16 month old once for a few days, and it was really fun seeing what made him dance around - he was into trad stuff mostly.. :) )
throw in some Elvis.......

Ron

#9 Post by Ron » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:24 pm

Play lots of modern pop swing, like Mighty Blue Kings, Steve Lucky, Casey MacGill, Indigo Swing, etc. Don't play too many slow songs, not if you are teaching East Coast swing without the triple step. Play some Prima. Play some classic stuff, too.

GemZombie

#10 Post by GemZombie » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:52 pm

The best bet, I would think (since everyone else is telling you what to do :) ) would be to come prepared for all of that (if you're ok with that), and start with a plan, but be willing to adjust.

I found that when I've spun for similar groups they are pretty open to swing, but they dig 40's/50's R&B/Rock stuff quite a bit. I don't know that you'll have to play pop, but they'll tell you what they like.

Matthew

#11 Post by Matthew » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:34 am

Does Justin Timberlake's "music" swing?

yedancer

#12 Post by yedancer » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:29 am

Matthew wrote:Does Justin Timberlake's "music" swing?
Of course! When in a dilemma behind the DJ booth, I often put down Chick Webb or Count Basie in favor of Justin. His music just speaks to me and makes me want to lindy hop. It's almost like his music is specifically designed FOR lindy hoppers and swing dancers.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#13 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:19 am

Play whatever makes the girls happy, whatever works, it will probably be a trail and error thing. Lucky for you, the people on this Board who frown upon the occasional use of non-swing music won't be there to shake their heads in disgust. Unless, of course, you report back later and confess. In that case, I expect the usual suspects will pull out their swords.

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:37 pm

yeah man, don't envy you. on the other hand, impressionable young japanese girls.

damn, i guess i do envy you.

kalman

Matthew

#15 Post by Matthew » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:17 pm

The event was tonight, and it went well. I had asked my friend, again, about the music, and found out that weren't looking for swing as much as they wanted the girls to have a fun time.

I played "St. Louis Blues" (Benny Goodman, about 135bpm) for the lesson. The tempo was quite gentle, as they were having a bit of trouble with inside turns. I really like that one for lessons.

For the dance, I played a little more Goodman and some Cab Calloway. After just a few of those, I could tell that the girls wanted something a bit more "rockish," so I played a Ritchie Valens song, and every single one of them got out to dance. The evening turned out to be a lot shorter than I thought it would (they had to be somewhere else, too), but I played more of the classic rock (about 140-170), and they enjoyed it (the Elvis stuff was quite popular).

I wish there had been more time, because it was fascinating to see what they liked. Also, I didn't get to unleash Groove Terminator or any other current stuff, much to my dismay.

Thanks for the suggestions!