harlem.org - A Great Day in Harlem

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

harlem.org - A Great Day in Harlem

#1 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:33 pm

I found this photo/link on Lawrence's site - this maybe old news to some of you but I didn't see it posted here anywhere.

I thought this was very cool considering the Harlem threads lately. It's been fun to look at everyone especially since we have been discussing many of the musicians pictured here; it also reminded me of being there at HJDF.

For an interactive tour: A Great Day in Harlem

yedancer

#2 Post by yedancer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:48 pm

You know what I would like to see? A picture of the layout of the Savoy Ballroom. Is there such a thing? Despite the pictures and whatnot that I've seen, I can't visualize what it was like inside.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

funkyfreak

#3 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:47 pm

I know I have a better one somewhere, but here's an outside overview:
http://www.kokomo.ch/Swing/clubs.htm

The dance floor can be easily visualized in this recreation, and imagine the tables and bar on the other side:
http://www.savoyballroom.org/frameset/frameset.htm

Unrelated, but I love this shot:

-FF

Lindy Bomb

#4 Post by Lindy Bomb » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:28 am

I rented that video once, A Great Day in Harlem. It was pretty sweet, there were lots of little anecdotes told about some jazz greats. Gives you a bit of insight into the perosonality of many Harlem musicians.

SirScratchAlot

Re: harlem.org - A Great Day in Harlem

#5 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:10 am

djstarr wrote:I found this photo/link on Lawrence's site - this maybe old news to some of you but I didn't see it posted here anywhere.

]
no such thing as Old news...I got to visit that spot a few years ago when I was in Harlem...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Mike

#6 Post by Mike » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:22 am

Lindy Bomb wrote:I rented that video once, A Great Day in Harlem. It was pretty sweet, there were lots of little anecdotes told about some jazz greats. Gives you a bit of insight into the perosonality of many Harlem musicians.
A few weeks ago at the George Eastman House here in Rochester, the director, Jean Bach, made a presentation of A Great Day in Harlem and its follow-up, The Spitball Story. The latter was about the famed incident which got Dizzy Gillespie fired from Cab Calloway's band. Both are very entertaining and highly recommended.

Jean Bach is a totally cool lady. Biggest female jazz fan that I've ever encountered. She was friends with tons of jazz musicians going back to the 30's (I think she is somewhere over 80 herself).

There is a DVD of both of these films out there, but she mentioned she was working on what would amount to a "special edition" DVD, which would include tons of interview footage not included in the original (which was filmed in the late 80's), plus perhaps new interview footage with more jazz greats.

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:53 am

Cool, thanks.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Swifty

#8 Post by Swifty » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:26 am

Mike wrote:A few weeks ago at the George Eastman House here in Rochester, the director, Jean Bach, made a presentation of A Great Day in Harlem and its follow-up, The Spitball Story. The latter was about the famed incident which got Dizzy Gillespie fired from Cab Calloway's band. Both are very entertaining and highly recommended.
I am so pissed that I missed this...

Andy Reid

#9 Post by Andy Reid » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:02 am

I have a DVD that has both of them on it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

SirScratchAlot

#10 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:28 pm

Andy Reid wrote:I have a DVD that has both of them on it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846
sweet, when Harlem.org first came out with this poster they had a contest on who could name the most musicians in the picture. I named alot of them and tied in like 20th place or something with around 100 other people...LOL
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Mike

#11 Post by Mike » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:07 pm

Andy Reid wrote:I have a DVD that has both of them on it:
Another dilemma over whether to get it or wait for the Special Edition... never thought I'd have this problem with a jazz film.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#12 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:58 am

There's a cool the story about that photo also...There are several shots or takes of it...Willie "The Lion" Smith was supposed to be the photo but got tired from waiting around and sat on the staircase to the left and out of shot that was chosen...I've seen some of the alternate shots where he's in it...

julius

#13 Post by julius » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:54 am

There is a companion book to the movie/photo which gives more detail about the event and also an index of exactly who is who. It also has a photograph of the same stoop about 35 years later with the same people ... those who were still alive. There were maybe 10 people in the shot, and one of them was one of the little kids, 35 years later.

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:55 pm

i saw the book recently. It also has a section called "trumpets in central park" about some photo of the trumpet giants.