Battle o' the bands recommendation

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soupbone

Battle o' the bands recommendation

#1 Post by Soupbone » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:42 pm

I'm duplicating this message, which I originally posted over on JiveJunction.....

I wanted to get your opinions on choosing another band for a DJ'd battle of the bands. We can't afford live music for the Down South Balboa Meetin' (July 18-20, 2003). So, originally I was going to spice up one of the dances by having a DJ's battle of the bands between Fletcher Henderson and McKinneys' Cotton Pickers.

Well, I've decided to have two battles. The one mentioned above, plus one other. I want Jimmie Lunceford to be one of the artists for this second battle, but I'm trying to decide who should be the other. There are numerous options. But, I'm trying to find one with a "connection" (like how Fletcher and McKinney's Cotton Pickers are conneted with Don Redman). Any thoughts?

The event, by the way, is purely focused on bal and bal-swing. It's not truly an exchange, but not truly a workshop weekend either. But, it has elements of both. But, one thing that is for sure, is that there will be great 20s and 30s jazz all weekend.

Thanks for any opinions!
Gary

Soupbone

#2 Post by Soupbone » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:45 pm

OH... one other piece of information that folks here might find interesting. The schedule for the Down South Balboa Meetin' will include a 1/2 hour seminar on Fletcher Henderson from a local jazz musician and professor.

Anyway... throw me your recommendations... who should Lunceford battle?

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:41 pm

probably a comparable band would be Andy Kirk's.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:02 am

Hopkins vs. Lunceford

Hopkins was the house band at the Savoy in 31... Lunceford replaced them as the Savoy house band in 32.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Soupbone

#5 Post by Soupbone » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:27 am

Thanks Rayned and Reuben!

Any other ideas, folks? Thusfar, I think the Hopkins connection is the front runner.

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:00 am

the link between lunceford and kirk is that they both had popular dance bands but were not that known for being famous instrumentalists.

ad-roc

#7 Post by ad-roc » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:31 pm

Isn't there a Sy Oliver (T. Dorsey & J. Lunceford) connection?

CafeSavoy

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:24 pm

yep, oliver left lunceford for dorsey. turns out the music world is really small, kirk and lunceford had the same music teacher, paul whiteman's dad.

Soupbone

#9 Post by Soupbone » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:56 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:turns out the music world is really small, kirk and lunceford had the same music teacher, paul whiteman's dad.
Really? Weren't they (Lunceford and Kirk) in two different parts of the country? Kirk born in Kentucky, and focused his bands in Texas and Kansas City, died in New York. Lunceford born in Mississippi and focused his bands in NY, died in Oregon. (I think I'm right there....?)

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering when Whiteman's dad taught them both (presumably at different times... but also at different locations?)

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:34 pm

yeah, kirkgrew up in denver, but lunceford went there for school.
it was news to me too, cause lunceford grew up in the south.