Songs for teaching / beginners classes

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

remysun

#76 Post by remysun » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Surreal wrote: I prefer black bottom myself.

can't believe I just said that
No wonder you're behind the beat. :lol:

Surreal

#77 Post by Surreal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:47 pm

After class yesterday, I had my computer pulling random songs from the 120-150 bpm range and the song that got everyone dancing was... Sex Bomb.

Toon Town Dave

#78 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Imagine how impressed we'd be if that song was around when Whitey's Lindy Hoppers were performing. Nothing screams swing-out like Tom Jones ... or not.

Surreal

#79 Post by Surreal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 pm

I was just thinking today that any of the typical music that we play during our Manitoba socials will probably get people dancing. I'll have to try out YMCA and Ra Ra Rasputin next week...
Last edited by Surreal on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredo

#80 Post by fredo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Surreal wrote:After class yesterday, I had my computer pulling random songs from the 120-150 bpm range and the song that got everyone dancing was... Sex Bomb.
this sounds like the american wedding DJ effect -- play YMCA and you'll have them at "Young man..."

Surreal

#81 Post by Surreal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Heh, pretty much, but whatever works. I'd much rather get them on the floor first and just have them goof around instead of standing around on the sidelines.

Toon Town Dave

#82 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 pm

If you're in a position where you have to DJ wedding reception standards, I think the scene leaders really need to figure out whether their goal is to be a night club or a swing dance. If they're trying for the former, they should probably be looking for a night club DJ, not a swing DJ. If they're trying to be the latter, then they need to figure out why people won't dance to swing music.

As I said earlier, I think the music and the dance are tightly coupled. In your case, it sounds more like a mismatch between what a swing dance should be and what the attendees are lead to expect from lessons, advertising, etc.

Eyeball

#83 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Surreal wrote:Heh, pretty much, but whatever works. I'd much rather get them on the floor first and just have them goof around instead of standing around on the sidelines.
Sniff sniff...moose-eating surrender monkey? :shock:

Why are some DJs so willing to simply offer whatever people want?

How can they be "Swing DJs" w/o playing Swing music?

Surreal

#84 Post by Surreal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh for crissakes, it's not like I'm playing wedding standards for the whole night. Yeesh. I toss in the occasional oddball song because people have fun with it. To me, that is vastly more important than stuffing them full of "proper" or "good" music.

I for one do not believe that the dance must be married to the music. Yes it's important to know the roots and understand the feel and rhythm yadda yadda yadda. My students will get an earful of that when I'm teaching. Some take an interest, and some don't care at all.

I honestly believe that one should have the freedom to dance whatever they want to whatever music they want.
Eyeball wrote:Why are some DJs so willing to simply offer whatever people want?
Because it makes them happy.

Toon Town Dave

#85 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Surreal wrote:I for one do not believe that the dance must be married to the music.
I guess this is our significant point of disagreement. Why is swing dancing what it is? Why is Waltz or Tango or Rhumba or Polka or Funk what it is? Because of the music. The music is the main inspiration, dancing with the music is what makes dance engaging. It's part of why we dig that hot girl shaking her booty to the music at the night club.

Conversely dancing in spite of the music is why we make fun of or at least can't stand to watch overly stiff ballroom dancers or hippie wigglers or just plain bad dancers. This is also why we lose interest in dance examples like the infamous Gap commercial once the novelty of the aerials wears off.

I have no problem with people wanting to do different dance styles. I think it's a good thing to at least dabble in or be introduced to many different dance styles. I also believe it's important to match the music and the dance.

At a social dance, the organizers set some expectation. If it's a Salsa dance, I don't expect swing music. As much as I'd prefer to dance to swing music, I have no expectation that the DJ at a Salsa dance would play swing music, even if I asked. Similarly I wouldn't expect Salsa music at a swing dance. If the event is a "ballroom dance", I'd expect music compatible with all the various ballroom styles. If it's an "old time" dance, I'd expect lots of music for Waltz and Polka and maybe some country two-step.

It's not that I don't think people should dance to only swing music but rather expectations. If you can the event a "swing dance", I'd at the very least expect to hear music that swings if not actual swing music. If the event is simply called a "dance party", I wouldn't have any expectations. I might not like the music but I wouldn't criticize a DJ for playing Sex Bomb or YMCA.

Finally, Surreal, based on how you described the situation (people weren't dancing to your other music), I can't fault you for the choice since it is indeed the job of the DJ to keep the crowd happy since that is why you are hired. If the event is billed as a swing dance, then I think the organizers have a problem. If people go to a swing dance and don't want to dance to swing music, there is a problem somewhere.

Haydn

#86 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:Finally, Surreal, based on how you described the situation (people weren't dancing to your other music), I can't fault you for the choice since it is indeed the job of the DJ to keep the crowd happy since that is why you are hired. If the event is billed as a swing dance, then I think the organizers have a problem. If people go to a swing dance and don't want to dance to swing music, there is a problem somewhere.
All this is 'off-topic' because it's about social dancing, not teaching for beginners. But there's a good argument for playing anything that will get people up dancing - as opposed to sitting watching.

Eyeball

#87 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:31 pm

peter wrote: I hardly DJ at dances anymore, because quite frankly it got boring, and the last thing i ever want to defend is good music, to some dancer who is looking for a wind shield wiper......

straycat

#88 Post by straycat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 am

Hmmm. Lots of food for thought on this thread, and I've been taking a lot on board from it.

My earlier post probably gave a slightly false impression of what I play - it is chiefly swing - I don't believe in pandering completely to swing 'virgins', but I have been playing a bit more neo than I'd like, and a few things I've considered to be more accessible (especially in lessons) , to 'ease in' newcomers to swing.

From what people have posted on this thread, I'm now thinking that I've been mistaken in some of my assumptions.

Time for a shift. Fredo, Toon Town Dave & others in that camp - consider me convinced. We are indeed aiming long-term, to build a sustainable swing dance scene, with quality dancers. I entirely take the points you've made on that score, and adjustments will be made. It continues to be a huge learning curve for us, and we're really still in the formative stages - but I have no wish to be producing 'pseudo' swing dancers - we want to be conveying a love for the dance and the music, and I now realise that watering the music down is not necessarily the best way to accomplish that goal..

In a nutshell, of the things we've identified that really distinguishes us from other local dance organisations, the music is one pretty much at the top of the list, and we should not be trying to 'compensate' for, or in any way apologise for that.

Plus - I need to find a cheap TV/DVD player combo to take to classes.

Mr Awesomer

#89 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Surreal wrote:I was just thinking today that any of the typical music that we play during our Manitoba socials will probably get people dancing.
I think he explained things right in his post.

He's running Socials... not Swing dances.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#90 Post by Eyeball » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
Surreal wrote:I was just thinking today that any of the typical music that we play during our Manitoba socials will probably get people dancing.
I think he explained things right in his post.

He's running Socials... not Swing dances.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And it is the difference between DJs who play Swing music and "Swing DJs".
Last edited by Eyeball on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.