Ron's swing CD reviews

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Ron's swing CD reviews

#1 Post by Ron » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:50 am

I haven't plugged my swing CD review site on this forum yet, I think, and I can almost sense how that has caused a major void in all of your lives. So here's my site:

http://www.swingorama.com/music/ronsrevshome.html

Swing CD reviews by a dancer, for dancers. Over 500 swing CDs reviewed and rated.

And note that if you search "swing CD reviews" on Yahoo, it pops up as #1 result, which I think is pretty cool.

Ron

#2 Post by Ron » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:53 am

I've been slowing down in my CD purchases and therefore, in my reviews. But I did add a few new ones recently, and this time I'm featuring the following:

New! Campus Five - Jammin' The Blues (Won Records - 2003)
Reviewed: 21 June 2003. Ratings: ****, LLLL

This septet out of LA plays great authentic small-group jazz from the swing era. This CD is jam- packed full of good, danceable songs, and the Beat-Per-Minute of each song is listed on the back. Its a dancer's delight, particularly if you prefer your swing on the faster side. If you like dancing Balboa, you'll love this CD. Song tempos range from 104 to 231 BPM and average around 165 BPM. The sound is decent, and the playing is fairly tight. This band is similar in many ways, but perhaps not as tight as Mora's Modern Rhythmists. Jonathan Stout on guitar is excellent, whether he's helping drive the rhythm or playing a solo. The piano and drums are also a delight to the ears. Hilary Alexander provides decent vocals for a few of the songs, including a couple of Ella May Morse covers. One of the things I like most about this CD is that they play songs that a lot of listeners won't be familar with. They've mined our rich history of jazz for underappreciated gems by the likes of Goodman/Christian, Django Reinhardt, Lester Young, Duke Ellington and Coleman Hawkins. Reading their website, you'll learn that Campus Five was founded by "two dedicated swing dancers and vintage lifestyle enthusiasts". No wonder this CD is so appropriate for swing dancers! This CD is well worth picking up, and the band is well worth seeing live. For CD-ordering info, see their website.

Ron

#3 Post by Ron » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:06 am

I need to update the links section. I'd like to have a more up-to-date list of links to other swing CD reviews and recommendations. I need to add Links to Lawrence's page, Jesse's page, this forum, Reuben's page, Kristin's page, and whatever else someone can suggest.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:17 am

Thanks for all the hard work you do putting together your review site. I know I've found it quite helpful over the years, and I do check back time to time for updates (which you actually do unlike some sites that have grown stale).

Speaking of links, Ron's site is already listed in the SwingDJs Links section.

Jesse

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:26 am

JesseMiner wrote:(which you actually do unlike some sites that have grown stale)
This Page Last Revised: November 20, 2000 <-- you talking about this little gem? haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Matthew

#6 Post by Matthew » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:29 am

Very, very cool! Thanks so much, Ron!

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:17 am

dont you think the SwingDjs website should have a CD review database that we could all keep up to date?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:57 am

falty411 wrote:dont you think the SwingDjs website should have a CD review database that we could all keep up to date?
I always thought that would be a good idea. Put up an album/track and let everybody comment. Kind of like a music thread, put more organized and more moderated. Not a long thread that meanders about, but a short paragraph or less from each interested DJ with his or her opinion on that album. Each DJ would only get one shot.

Maybe when Rayned's Essential list gets further developed, we can use that as the first batch.

I imagine that it will work best with a clear set of rules (regarding length, type of content) and a human moderator to collect and post the results.

I also would avoid a 4 star system or whatever, the simpler the system the better. It works for Ron, since he is one guy. But, it is way to subjective for a large, diverse group like us.

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:07 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: I also would avoid a 4 star system or whatever, the simpler the system the better. It works for Ron, since he is one guy. But, it is way to subjective for a large, diverse group like us.
Obviously it should instead be 4 "swords"

julius

#10 Post by julius » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:18 pm

I like the idea of a simple thread where someone (a moderator perhaps) throws out one track or album a day and everyone else reviews it if they've heard it, or something.

I think a giant database would be less interesting for me to wade through.

KevinSchaper

#11 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:25 pm

Would be good to make a new top level folder for it, and actually have slightly stricter moderation (ie, if a conversation starts, just move the start of it over to the "Swinging Music" folder)

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:04 pm

julius wrote:I like the idea of a simple thread where someone (a moderator perhaps) throws out one track or album a day and everyone else reviews it if they've heard it, or something.

I think a giant database would be less interesting for me to wade through.
Yeah, but it would be so hard for people to stay on topic.

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:21 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: I also would avoid a 4 star system or whatever, the simpler the system the better. It works for Ron, since he is one guy. But, it is way to subjective for a large, diverse group like us.
Obviously it should instead be 4 "swords"
and would the female DJ's rank with 4 "shields"? :P

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:46 am

GuruReuben wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:(which you actually do unlike some sites that have grown stale)
This Page Last Revised: November 20, 2000 <-- you talking about this little gem? haha
can't get more stale then that....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Ron

#15 Post by Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:02 am

Well, I'm sad to say that I'm letting my site go stale.

I can't say which starting fading first, my desire to dance every chance I could, my desire to dj frequently, or my desire to buy 10 CDs/month or my desire to review them on-line. But its all faded quick a bit, so I think I'll put the review site into official dormancy unless there is a particular new CD I want to highlight.