Swing Remixed

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

DJ Click Play

Swing Remixed

#1 Post by DJ Click Play » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Back in the day I used to hear an awesome remix of Metallica's Enter Sandman.....NO, NOT THAT one. Not the New Morty cover. *ick* It was a bonafide remix. Vocals and instruments were Metallica, but someone managed to add a swing beat to it. It freakin' rocked!

I'm looking for a source on that, but also anything else like that. Not some old swing music vocals mixed on top of a current beat, the other way around. Like maybe something hip-hop but swing-ified so it's danceable. Well, you know what I mean - danceable as swing not hip-hop.

I'd love to grab the accapella vocal track off of Lollipop and do something with that LOL

Anyone in here played anything like this?

penguin

#2 Post by penguin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:06 am

Never heard that one.

But that would be really really hard. Not only would you need to "beat match" a swung rhythm but you'd also need to get the timing right.

You know how that old joke goes. I ring up the jazz club and ask "How late's the band?" and the answer I get back is "About half a beat behind the drummer."

DJ Click Play

#3 Post by DJ Click Play » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 am

penguin wrote:Never heard that one.

But that would be really really hard. Not only would you need to "beat match" a swung rhythm but you'd also need to get the timing right.
I did a lot of Googling last night and came up with nothing but covers. Another project on the to-do list.

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm

I have a remix of Peggy Lee's "Fever." It's pretty much "old vocals over breakbeats," but it's worth checking out. I'm pretty sick of the song, in general, and of her original recording, in particular. I may have played the remix a long time ago. You can find it on Best of the Singles Collection.

I've also dabbled in remixing some old Basie. It's very tricky stuff, but even if you don't finish or release a track, you can learn a lot by studying the recordings that closely. When I make tracks, I'll often place the snares and/or hats significantly after the beat. It sounds much more varied, and it's been teaching me a lot about why I like the music I like.