Albums You Wish You Never Bought

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shanabanana

#16 Post by Shanabanana » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:06 am

Lawrence wrote::shock: I completely disagree on the Diane Schuur CD. :shock
You disagree that I regret buying it? Ok, whatever makes you happy. ;)

She's just too much. Too forced, too strained, too scatty, too fake. Everything my jazz teachers pounded out of my head. I can't help it...I just don't like it.

But I'm willing to sell it to anyone who wants it. It's only collecting dust on my shelf.

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:22 am

Shanabanana wrote:But I'm willing to sell it to anyone who wants it. It's only collecting dust on my shelf.
Good idea. Anyone see anything on my list they want just paypal me $5 (plus shipping and "handling" haha) and it's yours.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#18 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:41 am

Shanabanana wrote:You disagree that I regret buying it? Ok, whatever makes you happy. ;)
Thanks. It does make me very happy that you do not know how much you do NOT regret buying it. 8) :wink:

I know what you are talking about regarding bad, whining vocal habits (tell me, Celine, when did screaming "I Love You" in a high pitched whine become the accepted, most-romantic way of showing passion?) I just respectfully disagree, especially because the Basie band is so damn ON in this recording.
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:54 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:so aside from purchasing a CD in which it's music thats lame, whihc is only a very few, I would have to go by the quality of the CD.
Yeah, Peter, along these lines, I briefly considered responding "anything recorded before 1950..." :wink:

Part of my problem in coming up with regretful purchases is that I have bought SO MANY awful cds that I regret buying over the years that it is difficult to know where to begin. :shock: It's a natural part of trying to expand your tastes and learn about new bands. But I also have come across just as many outstanding CDs as I have awful CDs. Without listening before you buy (which I do now for about 70% of my purchases), even paying attention to the back-up band and all can go awry.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#20 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:05 am

Lawrence wrote: Yeah, Peter, along these lines, I briefly considered responding "anything recorded before 1950..." :wink:

It's a natural part of trying to expand your tastes and learn about new bands.
Briefly considered... then saw the hypocrisy in such a statement... right?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#21 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:08 am

GuruReuben wrote:
Lawrence wrote: Yeah, Peter, along these lines, I briefly considered responding "anything recorded before 1950..." :wink:
It's a natural part of trying to expand your tastes and learn about new bands.
Briefly considered... then saw the hypocrisy in such a statement... right?
Sarcasm, not hypocrisy... thus the wink. 8) The "briefly considered" part was over whether I should sarcastically bait you and Peter, not whether I would be a hypocrite, because I wouldn't seriously say that, in the first place. :) But then Peter mentioned regretting a purchase due to sound quality.... :roll: :)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

julius

#22 Post by julius » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:59 am

Lawrence wrote:
julius wrote:I wish I'd never bought a Laserlight collection of Count Basie.
I gotta qualify this one. We've discussed Laserlight before. Although there are some bad Laserlight compilations out there, that is the nature of a budget label or almost ANY label, for that matter. My first several experiences with Laserlight CDs were just the opposite of yours, giving me the impression that Laserlight was one of the few budget labels that puts good, otherwise unreleased stuff out.
I think you missed my point, but upon rereading my post, I realized that not everyone (read: no one) knows that the very first jazz I ever bought was that Laserlight Basie collection.

What I meant was that innocuous purchase changed my music buying habits forever. I wasn't talking about sound quality.

julius

#23 Post by julius » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:04 am

I could never bear to sell or give away CDs I currently dislike, because on at least 3 or 4 occasions in all the years I've been buying music, I've changed my mind about some albums. In one case, some bad recordings of Charlie Parker, it was because I didn't know what bop or jazz was really about at the time. In other cases (a Praga Khan cd) it was because I realized later that it was proto-jungle/dub and of historical interest as a link between dub and jungle.

So basically every so often I put in a known bad CD and listen to it and most of the time I still think it's crap, but you just never know.

Mr Awesomer

#24 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:29 am

Hey Julius,
I'll sell you this CD for 10 bucks:

full details
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#25 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:36 pm

julius wrote:I could never bear to sell or give away CDs I currently dislike, because on at least 3 or 4 occasions in all the years I've been buying music, I've changed my mind about some albums.

So basically every so often I put in a known bad CD and listen to it and most of the time I still think it's crap, but you just never know.

i'm with julius, something will have to suck majorly for me to think of getting rid of it.
but even then it might have archival value. and tastes do change.

djstarr

#26 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:49 pm

Soupbone wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:But to no avail the band just sucks....unless you like that square ass "do the hucklebuck" ....
Guilty as charged.... :oops:

:wink:
I also like "Porter's Love Song" - one of my favorites; but I guess I agree a little with Peter - I don't like all of the songs on the CD; however it's interesting to listen to it with Swing Session in mind.

Soupbone

#27 Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:52 pm

djstarr wrote: I also like "Porter's Love Song" - one of my favorites; but I guess I agree a little with Peter - I don't like all of the songs on the CD; however it's interesting to listen to it with Swing Session in mind.
Yeah, it's not a record I would sit down and listen to from front to back. But, I don't know that it's *that* lame overall, even if he occasionally sounds like a "poor man's Louis Jordan" (if there can be such a thing!). Either way, there are a few cuts that I throw on occasionally and enjoy.

And I just remembered that I also have Hot Lips Page and Pearl Bailey doing a duet of "The Hucklebuck" on the Jump for Joy! CD. That one is silly fun, as well.... or square, depending on your perspective. :)

wheato

#28 Post by wheato » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:25 pm

Soupbone wrote:Yeah, it's not a record I would sit down and listen to from front to back. But, I don't know that it's *that* lame overall, even if he occasionally sounds like a "poor man's Louis Jordan" (if there can be such a thing!). Either way, there are a few cuts that I throw on occasionally and enjoy.
Then I guess I'm doubly guilty since I like (and play) both Louis Jordan and Roy Milton. Or maybe I doubly suck, whatever. :P

I have had it with Wynonie, however.

djstarr

#29 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:48 pm

Soupbone wrote:
djstarr wrote: I also like "Porter's Love Song" - one of my favorites; but I guess I agree a little with Peter - I don't like all of the songs on the CD; however it's interesting to listen to it with Swing Session in mind.
Yeah, it's not a record I would sit down and listen to from front to back. But, I don't know that it's *that* lame overall, even if he occasionally sounds like a "poor man's Louis Jordan" (if there can be such a thing!). Either way, there are a few cuts that I throw on occasionally and enjoy.
I think I posted about this before, but I was at a musicality workshop with Swing Session and someone asked them who was their influence - they responded with Roy Milton, who I had never heard of. Roy Milton was the #1 jump blues band on the West Coast, so I bought the one album listed on Amazon - I thought it was cool that it was a West Coast band.

Swing Session covers most of their hits; I like to see who I think does which track better.

And when I listened to Lucky Millinder's Apollo Jump I laughed since there are a bunch of songs on there that Roy Milton covered.

That's why even though some songs are lame I think the Roy Milton CD is cool from a historical perspective.

GemZombie

#30 Post by GemZombie » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:14 pm

Soupbone wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:But to no avail the band just sucks....unless you like that square ass "do the hucklebuck" ....
Guilty as charged.... :oops:

:wink:
I have that album as well. The Hucklebuck isn't one of the songs on there I dig, but there are a few songs I like on it.

This thread sucks... It's like I should feel guilty for liking the occasional song/album/artist that is mentioned here.