Albums You Wish You Never Bought

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JesseMiner

#31 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:35 am

GemZombie wrote:This thread sucks... It's like I should feel guilty for liking the occasional song/album/artist that is mentioned here.
Nah, it just goes to show that we all have differing tastes. I'm glad we don't all love the same stuff. It's part of what makes each of us different and unique as DJs. I personally love the Diane Shuur/Count Basie CD and the Roy Milton stuff. I love Louis Jordan as well. Hell I even like listening to Setzer's album. I wouldn't DJ it these days, but I played the hell out of it during the neo-swing craze.
julius wrote:I could never bear to sell or give away CDs I currently dislike, because on at least 3 or 4 occasions in all the years I've been buying music, I've changed my mind about some albums.
Same here. It's amazing how tastes change over the years. I've found plenty of albums that I was turned off to on first listen but on a return listen months or years later I was totally digging them.

Like Lawrence has mentioned, I've taken plenty of risks buying CDs that looked interesting only to be disappointed finding little or no danceable material. Then of course I reminded myself that most of the music is kick-ass for listening and was excited adding more great music to my library.

I still haven't found any CDs that I completely regretted buying, but I'm sure they are in there somewhere. When I dig a few up, I'll post 'em here. :)

Jesse

SirScratchAlot

#32 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:35 am

GemZombie wrote:
I have that album as well. The Hucklebuck isn't one of the songs on there I dig, but there are a few songs I like on it.

This thread sucks... It's like I should feel guilty for liking the occasional song/album/artist that is mentioned here.
Ya should, ya bastard! :lol:

This is about swing music not......
***peter runs out of the forum,ducking the Blyer that just misses his head!!!****
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#33 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:05 am

djstarr wrote: Roy Milton was the #1 jump blues band on the West Coast, so I bought the one album listed on Amazon - I thought it was cool that it was a West Coast band.
being that R&B started here in Los Angeles and was the center for that type of music I don't beleive the fact they were a LA based band would be that big of a deal....

I beleive Roy had 1 or 2 number one hits. Roy Milton had a great line up of musicians Dootsie Williams-Camille Howad but kept them restrained in his Ideals. Thats why I'm so glad they left him and recorded on their own where they flourished putting out more hits then the Solid Senders ever did.

Bands that were tops and stayed tops were Big Jay McNeely,Eddie Cleanhead Vinson,Hadda Brooks,Johnny Otis etc...if you enjoy that realm of music....and some of it is awesome no doubt.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

julius

#34 Post by julius » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:15 am

Seven bucks.

Mr Awesomer

#35 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:49 am

Sold. I'll try and keep it handy in my trunk.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#36 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:17 am

There have been CDs that I regret paying a certain price for. Usually, I find the same CD cheaper just a few days/weeks later.

For the most part, in the case of used CDs, I sort of enjoy the risk of trying out an album, even if I don't know for sure what is on it. In the cases where I don't want to take the risk, I can usually preview it in store or I can often find the 30 seconds previews online somewhere.

Whenever I buy a new (non-used) album, I almost always know what I am buying. As a rule of thumb, the cheaper the CD, the more likely I am to gamble on it.

In many of the cheap pawn shop cases, It is not worth the time to play it in the store, the $3 or so is just a little gamble I don't mind taking. Sometimes, I find cool songs that nobody else is playing, other times I get a CD I will never play and rarely listen to.

PhilShapiro

#37 Post by PhilShapiro » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:06 pm

One CD I picked up that was a real letdown was Frankie Laine's "Jazz Spectacular".

Everything's great until his singing starts ... (shudder)

KevinSchaper

#38 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:26 pm

PhilShapiro wrote: Everything's great until his singing starts ... (shudder)
Oh my god - I bought that as an LP.. yech

djstarr

#39 Post by djstarr » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:02 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:
djstarr wrote: Roy Milton was the #1 jump blues band on the West Coast, so I bought the one album listed on Amazon - I thought it was cool that it was a West Coast band.
being that R&B started here in Los Angeles and was the center for that type of music I don't beleive the fact they were a LA based band would be that big of a deal....

I beleive Roy had 1 or 2 number one hits. Roy Milton had a great line up of musicians Dootsie Williams-Camille Howad but kept them restrained in his Ideals. Thats why I'm so glad they left him and recorded on their own where they flourished putting out more hits then the Solid Senders ever did.

Bands that were tops and stayed tops were Big Jay McNeely,Eddie Cleanhead Vinson,Hadda Brooks,Johnny Otis etc...if you enjoy that realm of music....and some of it is awesome no doubt.
ha - you just don't like Roy Milton at all do you?

Little David (the bass player of Swing Session who does a lot of their arrangements and original works), was very passionate in his commentaries on Roy Milton. He compared him to Louis Jordan as far as being the only West Coast band to try to do what Louis Jordan was doing. I was just taking his word for it :)

Your post brings up some other questions, but I will move them over to the R&B/Jump Blues thread.

Thanks for offering up a different perspective.....

GemZombie

#40 Post by GemZombie » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:42 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: I beleive Roy had 1 or 2 number one hits. Roy Milton had a great line up of musicians Dootsie Williams-Camille Howad but kept them restrained in his Ideals. Thats why I'm so glad they left him and recorded on their own where they flourished putting out more hits then the Solid Senders ever did.

I do enjoy that stuff, quite a bit actually.

So do you like Camille Howard's solo work? She was an awesome boogie piano player... though I have to admit many of her songs all sound the same.

I recently grabbed all the Camille Howard stuff off of E-Music. I love it.

Yakov

#41 Post by Yakov » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:28 pm

funkyfreak

#42 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:11 pm

GemZombie wrote:Camille Howard...many of her songs all sound the same.
I love it.
I like her, although much of her work can sound "too" similar, so in a similiar vein of music I prefer Julia Lee for her singing and those she played with, such as Jay McShann and Benny Carter.

-FF

kitkat

#43 Post by kitkat » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:47 pm

The Indispensable Jack Teagarden
All the tracks are corny & pop-like, so badly mixed you have nothing left to want to make your feet tap, or ballads.

sonofvu

#44 Post by sonofvu » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:53 am

I have 3 Les Brown CDs

Hollywood Palladium
Hollywood Palladium Vol. 2
Digital Swing

I tried, I really tried to like this stuff but I just could not get into it. It all sounds so square to me.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

sonofvu

#45 Post by sonofvu » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:54 am

Yakov wrote:Image
Is that a penguin in that picture?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.