Did you ever belong to a record club?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Did you ever belong to a record club?

#1 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:18 am

They were big time in the 50s - 80s or so.

Columbia had one and so did RCA and Capitol and few independents. Columbia Record Club was the biggest, by far.

They lured you in with a "20 albums for a penny each" deal (plus shipping) and then you had to buy a minimum amount to fill your obligation over 2 years or so. Just look out for the S&H charges b/c they were hidden in small print somewhere in the brochure....and they were per LP!

You also had to choose your favorite category of music b/c they would automatically send you a new LP every month or so. If you didn't like it, you could send it back.

Odd thing then was that you could never get any RCA LPs from the Columbia club and vice versa. They held on to their own stuff until later years when they realized it was in their best interests to sell as much as they could to anyone.

They had pretty good selections of Jazz and Swing...as long as your personal collection was not too big yet b/c they mainly stocked good selling titles.

The clubs were actually a pretty good deal, especially if you lived out in the sticks where there were no record stores. And even then, the clubs offered some way low priced deals that brick and mortar retailers could not match.

I got a Vince Giordano Nighthawks LP for $1.89 once and this was deep into the 1980s.

Even when I was in the record business, club deals could be worked out where their prices were even better than wholesale.

Some deals were ridiculous and you had to go for them. In the mid 60s, the Record Club of America appeared (it was RCA owned, it turned out) and their "introductory offer" was any record for a dollar! You could choose something from the big catalog they sent out or you could simply write in the catalog number on an LP you wanted. Wow!

I was in the 8th or 9th grade and I had a dollar, so I wrote in the catalog number on the coupon for a fancy 5 LP set by Glenn Miller. I took a shot....and they sent it! A buck!! I sent in another coupon with my friend's name and address for a different 5 LP set by Miller....and they sent that. Glory....and the beauty part was their deal said you never had to buy anything else. Wunderbar! They went out of business fairly quickly.

The clubs had their own secret racket going b/c they knew that a huge number of customers would never return their "Selection of the Month". They'd just bite the bullet and keep it unopened for decades. You can sometimes spot an old record club purchase in an older person's collection b/c it is frequently still sealed after 50 years and has little to do with their listening interests...or it was a present from someone. I got a great Buck Clayton LP sealed that was trapped in a rack of MOR Columbia stuff. MOR was 'middle of the road' aka 'Easy Listening'.

There was also a persistent rumor that "record club pressings" were inferior to the copies that went into retail stores. I never saw the proof.

Anyway - those were the record clubs of days gone by. I still have a few of the ads that they used to get you to join. They are masterpieces of salesmanship. LPs flying thru the air, pretty woman at your feet listening to your fabulous musical choices on some killer hi-fi machine. There would be a couple or two dancing in the background and then off in another illustration - a drawing of you sitting in a comfy chair with a big stack of LPs by your side, a drink in your hand and sophistication seeping from you every pore. You were a god for only a penny an album and 4 more "at regular club price over the next two years."

Thanx for listening! :)
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:12 pm

they still exist--columbia house and bmg music are the two that come to mind--but they use cd's now. i'm a member of bmg and i dutifully refuse the featured selection every month. every year or so, i buy some stuff from the catalog during a $1.99 or $2.99 sale.

i was also a member of yourmusic for a while. it's bmg owned, has a sub catalogue of bmgmusic, and you pick your own monthly selection. every cd is $5.99 (or whatever the price is now).

there are some threads about bmg and yourmusic on this forum.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 pm

Samer as lipi.

Also, I would quit and rejoin Columbia House and BMG every year or so. I was a member from 1986 through 1996 or so.

I had forgotten about YourMusic.

Nathan

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:06 am

Yeah - it almost always paid out to quit and re-join for a new batch of penny LPs or CDs.

remysun

Re: Did you ever belong to a record club?

#5 Post by remysun » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:10 am

Eyeball wrote: There was also a persistent rumor that "record club pressings" were inferior to the copies that went into retail stores. I never saw the proof.
OF course not. All it was was the rights to do their own pressings in bulk, and a centralized distribution system to move the product.

As explicit advisory came into play, the changes were greater. I got the first amendment cover of Ritual de lo Habitual, and the library got an edited version of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Guess they wouldn't want the liability of selling an obscenity to a minor.

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 pm

remysun wrote:
Eyeball wrote: There was also a persistent rumor that "record club pressings" were inferior to the copies that went into retail stores. I never saw the proof.
OF course not. All it was was the rights to do their own pressings in bulk, and a centralized distribution system to move the product.
yes, and the persistent rumours were that these pressings that they did were not as well done--that the raw vinylate wasn't of the same quality, or perhaps the presses weren't adjusted as carefully, or what have you. i don't think there's any "of course" about it. it could be true, it could not be true. *shrug*
As explicit advisory came into play, the changes were greater. I got the first amendment cover of Ritual de lo Habitual, and the library got an edited version of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Guess they wouldn't want the liability of selling an obscenity to a minor.
that's a completely different issue. it doesn't have anything to do with record clubs.

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 pm

lipi wrote:
remysun wrote:
yes, and the persistent rumours were that these pressings that they did were not as well done--that the raw vinylite wasn't of the same quality, or perhaps the presses weren't adjusted as carefully, or what have you. i don't think there's any "of course" about it. it could be true, it could not be true. *shrug*
That is correct. That was the speculation at the time. Inferior pressings for whatever reason.
Will big bands ever come back?