Basie: Your Favorite Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#46 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:12 pm

kitkat wrote:And how does the Columbia set 4-disc compare in quality and selection to the 3 Essential Count Basies?[/i]
The sound quality of America's #1 Band is better than that of the Essential Count Basie.

Jerry_Jelinek

#47 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:24 am

kitkat wrote:Does anyone know How much of Proper's overlaps as far as the exact same recordings or ones that are too similar to be worth buying another set?
Proper records now posts the entire discogrpahy on their web page:

http://www.propermusic.com/code/products.asp?recid=1905#

Then you can print out the discography and find the overlaps.

Enjoy the warm weather in the midwest!!!

Matthew

#48 Post by Matthew » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:11 pm

kitkat wrote:I would've sworn someone already asked this, but I searched "basie" & "proper" and couldn't find the thread, so pardon the uninformed inquiry.

I already have the Complete Decca Recordings.

Does anyone know How much of Proper's The Count Basie Story overlaps as far as the exact same recordings or ones that are too similar to be worth buying another set?

I found a good deal on the Proper, but it's not a great one.

Afterthought: If everyone says to get the Proper and I do, what about overlap with America's #1 Band! The Columbia Years as a future purchase? I assume Columbia won't overlap with Decca, but how does the Proper span the two? And how does the Columbia set 4-disc compare in quality and selection to the 3 Essential Count Basies?
I, too, have been wondering about the overlap (I've got the Proper). I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll end up buying the other one - despite any overlap - just because I love Basie songs so much.

kitkat

#49 Post by kitkat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:26 pm

There were 29 Decca songs on the Proper--looked like it was about a CD's worth. Same catalog numbers (which isn't surprising since the Decca set is "complete!") That might push the price per new disc over what I pay, so unless I end up in the neighborhood again, I won't go across town & buy it.

However, if anyone finds a good sale and wonders, it looked like there were also 12 Vocalions, 19 Columbias, 15 Okehs, 7 V-discs, 15 Victors, & 2 others (which must be in there somewhere but I couldn't find them in all the text).

kitkat

#50 Post by kitkat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:18 am

I still have the little metal book in which I wrote every song mentioned on this thread with an accompanying album, back when I was a lurker on the board. I thought I'd do other newbies a favor now that Amazon's gone full album preview. I'll do my best not only to link my album citations on Allmusic in the future but to link any songs mentioned directly to their previews as well.
Swifty wrote:For late, late Basie also check out On the Road, which contains one of my all-time favorite songs, "Bootie's Blues."
djstarr wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:- Count Basie at Newport
My favorite selection off this album is Evenin' (2) featuring Jimmy Rushing.
Lawrence wrote:With Frankie over-using "Shiney Stockings" in workshops and EVERYONE using Corner Pocket as a Birthday Jam song since 1996, it's no surprise that it got worn out. But that's not the album's (or Basie's) fault!! They are overplayed because they are so damn good and so damn seminal.
yedancer wrote:Another good one is "The Time Is Right" with Basie and Peterson off of Satch and Josh . . . Again. It has some awesome breaks.
Matthew wrote:"Ebony Rhapsody" from a CD that I just got, called The Golden Years, Vol. 3. The piece is based on Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody" (think "Looney Toons"). (Matthew already provided the clip, so I'll just cite this.)
Soupbone wrote:I've got a soft spot for "Walkin' Slow Behind You" -- the last song recorded w/Jimmy Rushing.
(I hope I got this one right...seems the version he's talking about is on Classics Chronogical 1947-1949. Quite some lyrics there!)