Every Tub
Down, Down, Down
Broadway
Blues in Hoss' Flat

.. too many to count.
Mike Marcotte

Matthew

#32 Post by Matthew » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:56 pm

"Ebony Rhapsody" from a CD that I just got, called The Golden Years, Vol. 3. The piece is based on Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody" (think "Looney Toons"). I've uploaded a short clip so you can hear what I mean. I played the original arrangement of this piece when I was in a youth orchestra, and it's very familiar to me. It's fun to hear Basie play it. We didn't swing quite as hard as he did.

lindyholic

#33 Post by lindyholic » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:43 pm

I will have to say The Jitters rocks my world

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

mark0tz

#34 Post by mark0tz » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:10 pm

yes that song oans.
Mike Marcotte

Soupbone

#35 Post by Soupbone » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:28 pm

I've got a soft spot for "Walkin' Slow Behind You" -- the last song recorded w/Jimmy Rushing.
Gary

yedancer

#36 Post by yedancer » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:38 am

Last night we had a DJ battle that pitted Young Basie versus Mature Basie. It was pretty fun. I played for Young Basie. This is my set list (sorry, no album information or recording dates. I'm too lazy):

The Dirty Dozens
Hey Lawdy Mama
Just An Old Manuscript
--
Oh, Lady Be Good
I Never Knew
Mr. Roberts Roost
--
Easy Does It
Boogie Woogie (I may be wrong)
Jumpin' at the Woodside
--
Every Tub [demo for Bal-swing workshop]
One O'Clock Jump
Red Wagon
Swingin' the Blues [slow version]
Swingin' the Blues [fast version]
Dupree Blues
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

SirScratchAlot

#37 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 am

YEAH MAN
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Lawrence

#38 Post by Lawrence » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:55 am

Swifty wrote:
Yakov wrote:i love all the tunes from COUNT PLAYS DUKE, a new CD from Grover Mitchell's Count Basie Orchestra. All new arrangements, great tempi, gorgeous playing, and of course the audio fidelity is top-notch.
Funny, I was disappointed by this album after I bought it. Maybe I should give it a re-listen.
Me, too. It is one of the best post-humous Basie orchestra CDs, after the Diane Schur CD, of course (sorry, Shana :wink: .) But that is a function of the progressive-jazz bent that the post-humous Basie orchestra went on after Freddy Green died.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Jerry_Jelinek

#39 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:25 am

Also make sure to support the current Basie band. Bill Hughes is the new leader and just a gentlemen.

They were recently in Cleveland playing at a small intimate club. Seating of about 100 per show. It was an incredible experience.

The band swings just as hard as ever.

Swifty

#40 Post by Swifty » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:46 am

Lawrence wrote:
Swifty wrote:Funny, I was disappointed by this album after I bought it. Maybe I should give it a re-listen.
Me, too. It is one of the best post-humous Basie orchestra CDs, after the Diane Schur CD, of course (sorry, Shana :wink: .) But that is a function of the progressive-jazz bent that the post-humous Basie orchestra went on after Freddy Green died.
I gave it a re-listen not too long ago, and I'm still not digging it too much. Oh well, I guess it just further enforces my take that Freddie Green was the heart of that band.

Bob the Builder

#41 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:53 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:YEAH MAN
How come this is called Rhythm Man sometimes?
And can anyone tell be is Fletcher Henderson's "Hotter than 'ell" a small change on the same composition. I'm assuming that "Hotter than 'ell" was the original.

Brian :D

lindyholic

#42 Post by lindyholic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:28 am

Actually Henderson recorded Yeah Man as well, and it's awesome.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Jerry_Jelinek

#43 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:51 am

Does anyone own the Mosaic Set of Basie on Roulette? It was a large set (10 or 12CDs). When it was out, I didn't have the extra ca$h to buy it.

I'm looking for specifically the tracks from an Lp of the era 'Basie Plays Hefti'.

If anyone has this, I would like to arrange a trade.

Please email me,

Thank You,

Jerry

Lawrence

#44 Post by Lawrence » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm

Swifty wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Swifty wrote:Funny, I was disappointed by this album after I bought it. Maybe I should give it a re-listen.
I gave it a re-listen not too long ago, and I'm still not digging it too much. Oh well, I guess it just further enforces my take that Freddie Green was the heart of that band.
... Yes... and perhaps also some other guy named "Bill" who helped keep it real a BIT, but who departed the band in 1984.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

kitkat

#45 Post by kitkat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:09 pm

I would've sworn someone already asked this, but I searched "basie" & "proper" and couldn't find the thread, so pardon the uninformed inquiry.

I already have the Complete Decca Recordings.

Does anyone know How much of Proper's The Count Basie Story overlaps as far as the exact same recordings or ones that are too similar to be worth buying another set?

I found a good deal on the Proper, but it's not a great one.

Afterthought: If everyone says to get the Proper and I do, what about overlap with America's #1 Band! The Columbia Years as a future purchase? I assume Columbia won't overlap with Decca, but how does the Proper span the two? And how does the Columbia set 4-disc compare in quality and selection to the 3 Essential Count Basies?