Worst Songs Ever Heard at a Lindy Hop Night?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Toon Town Dave

#31 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 am

We have a winner!

Now there's some great candidates for worst Lindy Hop music!

Nate Dogg

#32 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Platypus wrote: Pat Boone singing R and B classics?
This was posted in the other thread,

Before Paul Anka's Rock Swings, there was this chesnutt. This one came out during the late 90s.

For the most part, in my view, the whole genre of swing covers of rock songs is intended to be novelty songs by the artists themselves, so I would not throw them the worst songs category. However, I know I am a minority opinion on them. There are plenty of you who hate them by definition.

Now, I think the Jive Bunny guys have conviction about their art, to me they are a good example of worst music.

Nathan

Platypus

#33 Post by Platypus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:39 am

Natedog, that could be a whole other thread: "things we love, you hate."
I like stuff that makes me giggle, ergo I like Ray Stevens and I like chicken songs, but that is in the privacy of my own home. :)

More ideas?

Spike Jones

John Lithgow, Singin' in the Bathtub (I didn't enjoy the album, but I know others might)

Slim Gaillard, Chicken Rhythm from "Slim Gaillard Rides Again" (The one where he sounds drunk and like he is trying to hold in the giggles).

The album "African Jazz N Jive" has a few tunes that use penny whistles as the main instrumentation. At least one is danceable, but a bit shrill for American ears.

wspeid

#34 Post by wspeid » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 am

From the Swing era

Wingy Manone's "Stop the War" played deafeningly loud with the DJ editing in an additional 15 seconds of dive bombing planes, sub-machine gun strafings and explosions that shook the walls of the dance studio (apparently created as a Boot Camp mix). By the time the music started 30 seconds in, the studio was empty. It was the first (and basically last) song in the DJ's set.

Great non-swinging songs in the wrong place merely because the college kids said "they're old, so you must be able to swing to them"

- the 1-2 punch of the Beatle's "I Saw Her Standing There" followed by Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me".
- The Muppet Show's "Ma na ma na" (with the 2 old guys bantering & audiene laughter at the end) seguing into the theme song from Sesame Street
- "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Guns n Roses
- 7 minute live version of Hotel California w/ drum solo

wspeid

#35 Post by wspeid » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:39 am

Although I would never do it, I've been sorely tempted to play a set of vintage songs that are completely offensive by contemporary moral standards.

There are so many examples of misogynous, racist, anti-semitic, anti-Asian, & homophobic songs that we all either politely pretend don't exist or in some cases don't even hear the lyrics to if anyone plays them. I'd argue that many of them might qualify as "worst song" if anybody stopped to really listen to their lyrics.

fredo

#36 Post by fredo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 am

People are Strange - The Doors

Toon Town Dave

#37 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 am

wspeid wrote:Wingy Manone's "Stop the War" played deafeningly loud with the DJ editing in an additional 15 seconds of dive bombing planes, sub-machine gun strafings and explosions that shook the walls of the dance studio (apparently created as a Boot Camp mix). By the time the music started 30 seconds in, the studio was empty. It was the first (and basically last) song in the DJ's set.
That's definitive feedback from the audience. It's almost funny.

remysun

#38 Post by remysun » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:27 pm

There's a charm about this topic. The only song mentioned that could truly turn people off is Tom Jones' "Sex bomb", because you need familiarity to breed comtempt. To have a night of inappropriate songs is merely saying that "Old acquaintance SHOULD be forgot and never brought to mind." One can't help but smile with fondness when you put it like that.

CafeSavoy

#39 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

remysun wrote:There's a charm about this topic. The only song mentioned that could truly turn people off is Tom Jones' "Sex bomb", .
And yet, just last week i got that as a request.

sonofvu

#40 Post by sonofvu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Louis Armstrong's version of Frankie and Johnny. Worst ever.

I love Ella FItzgerald and one of my favorite versions of St Louis Blues comes from the album "In the Groove". That particular disk has two of the more disgusting swing songs I've ever heard:

1) Sing Song Swing (Horrible asian impersonations)
2) The Yodelin' Jive (Yeah, yodeling and swing)
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Toon Town Dave

#41 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Anything with a faux accent or faux foreign language bugs me. That's why a lot of today's country music makes my ears bleed.

Also on the Ella bandwagon, there's something about her recording of Tuxedo junction that bugs me in a 1970s Lawrence Welk plays Broadway hits sort of way.

lipi

#42 Post by lipi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:58 pm

sonofvu wrote:Louis Armstrong's version of Frankie and Johnny. Worst ever.
really? the 1959 one on "satchmo plays king oliver"? it's absurdly slow for lindy, but i like the recording (for other dancing, or for just listening).

Eyeball

#43 Post by Eyeball » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:18 am

lipi wrote:
sonofvu wrote:
really? the 1959 one on "satchmo plays king oliver"? it's absurdly slow for lindy, but i like the recording (for other dancing, or for just listening).
That's a good album. His 50s stuff really swings widely in 'quality, but that's goodie.
Will big bands ever come back?

sonofvu

#44 Post by sonofvu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:05 am

lipi wrote:
sonofvu wrote:Louis Armstrong's version of Frankie and Johnny. Worst ever.
Yeah I don't think I liked it for dancing lindy. I guess its the slow tempo of the song and the way his voice crackles when he sings.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Capt Morgan

#45 Post by Capt Morgan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Here's my (least) favorites:

"Super Buck II" (Super Mario Bros 2 Theme) by Estradasphere
http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Fever-Estrad ... 317&sr=8-3

"I'm My Own Grandpaw" by Guy Lombardo
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Those-Old ... l_1#disc_1

"Goodie Two Shoes" by Adam Ant
http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Two-Shoes-A ... 0&sr=102-1

"Derka Derk (Terrorist Theme)" from the Team America Soundtrack
http://www.amazon.com/Derka-Terrorist-T ... &sr=102-11