Worst Songs Ever Heard at a Lindy Hop Night?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mark

#46 Post by Mark » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Ok, Herrang 2009 is coming up again. I need more of the worst songs you've ever heard at a lindy hop night for me "Ultimately Bad Lindy Hop Music Showcase." Surely there's some new "classics" that you'd like to share with me.

Fire away!

CountBasi

#47 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

I played Avril Lavigne - 'Girlfriend' here a couple of months ago.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Joninho22

#48 Post by Joninho22 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:07 pm

maroon 5 "kiwi" - I just stood in shock

never had a freind like me - aladdin

I love the nightlife- Alicia bridges

Hyena Stomp- Jelly Roll Morton (not a terrible song, but it gives me a headache)

Mark

#49 Post by Mark » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:02 pm

excellent suggestions! keep 'em coming

falty411

#50 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
remysun wrote:There's a charm about this topic. The only song mentioned that could truly turn people off is Tom Jones' "Sex bomb", .
And yet, just last week i got that as a request.
you have a point, people *never* request crap songs
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Joninho22

#51 Post by Joninho22 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I love slim and slam, but "laughin' in rhythm" just makes me cringe.
my version is from a cd called "1938-1939" that was in a collection.

meadtastic

#52 Post by meadtastic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:34 pm

"overature/and all that jazz" from the chicago motion picture soundtrack 6:04 of awfulness.

also
that outkast song...idlewild blue

oh and that gorillaz song Feel Good, Inc.

and michael buble's moon dance

that song by the darkness...(whatever it's called)

lou bega's mambo #5 (every time i go dance in greenville, sc)

anything by richard cheese. ugh.

scowl

#53 Post by scowl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Anyone can play a lousy record. It takes true guts to perform awful songs in front of Lindy hop dancers. We had one such musician and he did it for years.

He really didn't know what Lindy dancers wanted to hear and never really learned either. After finishing songs he would actually say, "Thank you! Thank you very much!" even though the room was completely silent. This showed he didn't pay any attention to what was happening on the floor.

He started his decline in late 2000 by performing a carbon copy of Donovan's "Mellow Yellow". When some dancers asked him what in hell he was thinking, he said it was a good "slow Lindy song". He proceeded to attempt some swingouts with a victim follow while singing it which only proved he had no idea what he looked like when he danced.

A few years later at our annual swing picnic he tried to prove that one of his favorite artists of all time did some great swing songs. We concluded that "Only the Good Die Young" was not a song we wanted to dance to despite this man ending the song yelling "Billy Joel swings! I told you guys!"

His demise happened a couple years later when he started singing his own originals that made Air Supply sound like the Ramones. The last show I walked out of started with one of his "originals", followed by a tolerable version of "Bad Bad LeRoy Brown", then a freakin' medley of James Taylor songs! Several of us concluded he was performing at swing events because these songs would have gotten him beat up anyplace else in town.

Kiddimes

#54 Post by Kiddimes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Back during the fad/neo swing days, it seemed as if EVERYONE I knew tried to get in on it and so people would see the worst albums and buy them for me just because it had "Swing" or Swingin'" in the title. They'd say "Oh I saw this in the store and I just KNEW you would LOVE IT!" By far, the worst one was this. http://www.amazon.com/Swinginto-Gratefu ... B00000IFTZ

That's right folks, "Swingin' to the Grateful Dead"

Kiddimes

#55 Post by Kiddimes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

meadtastic wrote:"

lou bega's mambo #5 (every time i go dance in greenville, sc)
Where in Greenville have you ever heard Mambo #5 by Lou Bega played?
CERTAINLY not at any of the dances I DJ at!

Balboa Chris

#56 Post by Balboa Chris » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:27 am

OMG. I just stumbled across this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stompin-At-Savo ... 15&sr=1-49

It was so sugary, all my teeth fell out just listening to the first bit of the clip.
I can't wait for someone to play this. Just get ready with the mop and bucket!!!!

CountBasi

#57 Post by CountBasi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 pm

That is absolutely brilliant. I need to play that asap! :lol:
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Surreal

#58 Post by Surreal » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:46 am

I'm not really a fan of Michael Buble, but there's a contingent of college-age girls in our scene who are in love with him. I can play any song of his with a moderately danceable tempo (and even some that aren't) and it's guaranteed to fill the floor.

penguin

#59 Post by penguin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Surreal wrote:I'm not really a fan of Michael Buble, but there's a contingent of college-age girls in our scene who are in love with him. I can play any song of his with a moderately danceable tempo (and even some that aren't) and it's guaranteed to fill the floor.
Maybe they're just being patriotic.

Mr Awesomer

#60 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:54 am

Surreal wrote:I'm not really a fan of Michael Buble... I can play any song of his...
Not really a fan... yet you bought some of his music?
Reuben Brown
Southern California