Worst Songs Ever Heard at a Lindy Hop Night?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ryan

#16 Post by Ryan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:55 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Some of those songs are not really what I would call bad. Fire or Queen may not be certain DJs cup of tea, but no reason to get harsh, too many dancers like them for them to really be considered the worst. Maybe, they would fit a list of the cheesiest songs.

I don't think anyone is surprised that this came from you Nate.

fredo

#17 Post by fredo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:42 am

well, putting the feelings of Queen enthusiasts and kenny G lovers aside...

a song can be considered "bad" by someone for different reasons; it's a subjective question.

I would agree that decent neo-swing does exist relative to its kind, and probably doesn't deserve to be on a "worst" list if we're only looking at songs that are "technically" flawed for lindy hop.

....but, considering this is an opinion thread, I stand by my submission of "Fire". If a dancer somewhere wants to take that as a harsh critique of their taste in lindy hop music, they can let me know. I'm sure Babyface would be appalled that I said I thought his recording sucked for lindy hop.

Wooo!

Toon Town Dave

#18 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 pm

A lot of the tunes posted are standard fare for one of our local ballroom clubs' lessons. Their teaching music was last updated some time in the 90's so it lacks a lot of the neo-swing stuff from the late 90's. Musicality in not introduced in class and music is chosen for very superficial reasons.

Fire for example is one of the recordings used when they teach Cha Cha. Grease Lightning and Jive Bunny are used of for Ballroom Jive because they are a simple, obvious rock beat that can be used as a metronome. Even the phrasing on the Jive bunny recordings is messed up. All in all, they are counter examples of the attributes that I (and probably many other DJs and teachers) look for in music for Lindy Hop. That's why I'd consider them as examples of "bad" Lindy Hop music.

CafeSavoy

#19 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:37 pm

On a more general note, how many people here would be interested in a night of "worse lindy hop music" if that implied bad music and not just music not so appropriate for lindy hop?

JesseMiner

#20 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:07 pm

I could possibly get into the idea, maybe for an hour or as smaller sets dispersed throughout an evening, if it meant a trip down memory lane playing the "hits" of 1998 ("You and Me and The Bottle Make Three Tonight!") that are definitely out of vogue in the lindy hop scene these days, but I don't think I could handle a night of Kenny G's smooth jazz. ;)

I picture a room full of pretzels!

Jesse

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:37 pm

This thing called love...... I just can't handle it
this thing called love I must get round to it
I ain't ready
Crazy little thing called love
This (This Thing) called love
(Called Love)
It cries (Like a baby)
In a cradle all night
It swings (Woo Woo)
It jives (Woo Woo)
It shakes all over like a jelly fish,
I kinda like it
Crazy little thing called love

Thanks Freddie for having that song in my head for the rest of the day! Must go find my best of Queen CD to upload :shock:

fredo

#22 Post by fredo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Brenda, I can't take credit for Trev's addition of Queen to the list.

Nate Dogg

#23 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Ryan wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:Some of those songs are not really what I would call bad. Fire or Queen may not be certain DJs cup of tea, but no reason to get harsh, too many dancers like them for them to really be considered the worst. Maybe, they would fit a list of the cheesiest songs.
I don't think anyone is surprised that this came from you Nate.
Damn straight.

Also, I have been known to play "Another One Bites The Dust" when I DJ our monthly West Coast Room.

Nathan

Mr Awesomer

#24 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#25 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:19 pm

trev wrote:I think the worst (best) I've heard is:

Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and;

:D
If only the DJs had video monitors during their sets, what was everybody thinking when they made this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ

trev

#26 Post by trev » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

fredo wrote:Brenda, I can't take credit for Trev's addition of Queen to the list.
Sorry Brenda! :D

CafeSavoy

#27 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 pm

trev wrote:
fredo wrote:Brenda, I can't take credit for Trev's addition of Queen to the list.
Sorry Brenda! :D
You mean it's not a Micheal Buble original? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFOezQdVhMg

trev

#28 Post by trev » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Buble hurts my brain.

Surreal

#29 Post by Surreal » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 pm

fredo wrote:Fire - Babyface
I played the Robin Williams/Elmer Fudd version as an interlude once. Got a couple laughs and brief bluesiness.
straycat wrote:Oh - and there's always Bananaphone. If you use that one, it'll make me feel (slightly) better about missing Herrang this year.
The original version (aka normal speed) isn't all that bad... comparatively.
Toon Town Dave wrote: That stupid tune from the car commercial that some folks use for swing rueda.
Get a Move On - by Mr. Scruff

... urge to kill... rising...

Platypus

#30 Post by Platypus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:34 am

Morman Tabernacle Choir - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Taco - Greatest Hits album.

Ray Stevens - In the Mood...an all-chicken acappella version.

Bing Crosby? Some of his stuff feels like it sucked the swing out of swing.

Pat Boone singing R and B classics?

I wondered if there was any jazz bagpipe. I checked the internet. Yup. A dude named Rufus Harley. From allmusic.com: "Rufus Harley was jazz's first bagpiper, singlehandedly transforming a droning, unwieldy instrument associated almost exclusively with Celtic traditions into a soulful and deeply spiritual element of the modern jazz lexicon."