Mixed Tempo songs?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

remysun

#16 Post by remysun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:39 am

"The Third Man Theme" or "Harry Lime Theme" from The Third Man. I gotta transfer some of that off from vinyl. "Greatest Hits from Foreign Lands".

Eyeball

#17 Post by Eyeball » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

That's gotta be on CD. It was a huge hit by Anton Karas.

J-h:n

#18 Post by J-h:n » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:45 pm

remysun wrote:"It's Oh So Quiet" has slow waltz verses and a faster 4/4 refrain. That and Gling-Glo are some Bjork that DJs will play, with good results too.
Bjork?

Go for the original - Betty Hutton! Makes Bjork sound like a little girl.

Also check out her "Orange-Colored Sky" on the same CD. Makes Nat King Cole sound like a little boy.

Oh, and she did the original "Stuff Like That There" (on several other CDs) - doeesn't quite make Bette Midler sound like a little girl (nothing possibly could), but still.

J-h:n

#19 Post by J-h:n » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:06 pm

And she could dance, too! And... other things:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xv4YmL4CWmI

GemZombie

#20 Post by GemZombie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:48 am

She cracks me up... such personality.

remysun

#21 Post by remysun » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:43 am

Eyeball wrote:That's gotta be on CD. It was a huge hit by Anton Karas.
Probably not the version I have, which might be London Symphony Orchestra. I also like their Never on Sunday as a Fox Trot.

mr. e

Earlier threads

#22 Post by mr. e » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:26 pm

The search function of phpBB is so crappy, so I'm putting links to earlier related threads here. I had tried searching but didn't get these results in my first tries. Maybe there are even more threads...

"Songs that speed up"
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1892

"Double Time"
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=185

"Changing the pace from fast to slow"
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1760

The last one is probably most closely to what I was looking for - Brenda suggested to use songs such as "After You've Gone" that start fast then slow down.

Anyone else with some recommendations of songs that slow down during the song (not just at the very end, and there is lots of stuff that speeds up). I really like the idea of having some high energy song slow down the tempo again instead of doing some sudden drop with a new song.

penguin

#23 Post by penguin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:21 am

I've seen Basin Street Blues mentioned. One of the versions I have doesn't slow down again but keeps going with double tempo till the end. I think it transitions quite nicely with the drum solo, though you need to pay attention to your phrasing to transition when you're dancing.

There's a Glenn Miller song called Jukebox Saturday Night which starts at about 160 with a slow bit in the middle (it drops to about 75 or so) for almost a minute before speeding back up at the ending.

Eyeball

#24 Post by Eyeball » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:26 am

How bout - slow to fast to slow?

Jimmy Dorsey - Contrasts

caab

#25 Post by caab » Sat May 17, 2008 10:57 am

Most of the songs I have by the Boswell Sisters change tempo. I love their music, but have to refrain from playing it because the tempo change usually elicits a lot of WTF looks from our local Bal dancers...

wspeid

We'll Build a Bungalow

#26 Post by wspeid » Wed May 28, 2008 2:55 pm

For fun I once subjected a house party to "We'll Build a Bungalow" by Sy Oliver and his Orchestra, which is full of tempo shifts but the dancers who broke out the polka got the last laugh.

I love transitioning from slow to quick with Linnzi Zaorksi's "I Hate Myself For Loving You", which foreshadows the tempo change with a nice double strumming of the guitar. The Cangelosi Cards also do the same with the guitar on occasion.

Great fun

qualidit

#27 Post by qualidit » Fri May 30, 2008 5:45 am

Try :
Shout Sister Shout by the Local Girls on Let Yourself Go. It changes between 80bpm and 205bpm a few times in the song. I think it's the Boswell Sister's arrangement, but a much nicer recording.

Aba Daba HoneyMoon by Maria Muldaur from Songs for the Young at Heart Starts at 200bpm, goes to 250bpm in the middle and ends around 120.

djstarr

#28 Post by djstarr » Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm

penguin wrote:I've seen Basin Street Blues mentioned. One of the versions I have doesn't slow down again but keeps going with double tempo till the end. I think it transitions quite nicely with the drum solo, though you need to pay attention to your phrasing to transition when you're dancing.
There is a version of Basin Street Blues by Louis Armstrong and the Allstars - it's on the California Concerts 4disc CD; it starts out about 110, after 1:30 or so goes to 170 and has a nice false ending. I think this is the song you are talking about.

And then of course there is Darktown Strutter's Ball, which is probably on the other thread.

The other track I use a lot is Honeysuckle Rose with Velma Middleton and Louis Armstrong from Satch Plays Fats. Very danceable tempos on both ends.

remysun

#29 Post by remysun » Sat May 31, 2008 10:35 pm

I have a "Manhattan Serenade" that is a very jazzy sonata, and is thus a slow medium slow.

remysun

#30 Post by remysun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Watching "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair" from South Pacific on Letterman. That number has some wonderful tempo changes.