Memorabilia

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soupbone

Memorabilia

#1 Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:24 am

Hey all,

I thought this might be a fun/interesting thread. Do you own any jazz/swing/big band memorabilia, and if so, what is your favorite piece? I own very little, but my favorites are:

Fletcher Henderson's autograph on a 1937 dance card and a postcard promoting one of his shows, also from 1937.

How about you?

Shanabanana

#2 Post by Shanabanana » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:21 am

I have a bunch of vintage sheet music and memorabilia that decorates my living room. My favorites are the 'Lucky Lindy' sheet music, 'Ballin the Jack' sheet music, the gorgeous 'Darktown Strutter's Ball' sheet music with 5 black couples dancing on the cover, the Saturday Evening Post cover with a blonde singer in her vintage updo surrounded by the fellas in the band, and a program from the Broadway production of Hellzapoppin. (Whitey's Lindy Hoppers weren't in that one, but it looks cool anyway!)

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:28 pm

My school has Charlie Barnet's Yankees hat in the library.

There's a reason, though - the Los Angeles Jazz Institute is in our library. They have all kinds of cool stuff - thousands of tapes of alternate takes and broadcasts, personal memorabilia, color home movies from the 20s (I think?), original sheet music, et cetera et cetera.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

SirScratchAlot

Re: Memorabilia

#4 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:34 am

Soupbone wrote:Hey all,

I thought this might be a fun/interesting thread. Do you own any jazz/swing/big band memorabilia, and if so, what is your favorite piece? I own very little, but my favorites are:

Fletcher Henderson's autograph on a 1937 dance card and a postcard promoting one of his shows, also from 1937.

How about you?
hELL YEA, I live for this stuff....as for autographs I have alot. You name it I probably have it.

Ella,Woody Herman,Cab, Basie,Goodman,Krupa,Ellington,Sara Vaughn,Eartha Kitt, Helen Forest, the Whole Bob Crosby Band, Harry James etc....to name a few( and they are all period autographs).

I also have alot of Film stars, and dancers like Ginger Rogers,Fred Astair,Jane Powell,Bing Crosby....

I haven;t got Fletcher yet.....lucky bastard :wink: if you ever want to part with it, name your $$......
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Soupbone

#5 Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:30 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: I haven;t got Fletcher yet.....lucky bastard :wink: if you ever want to part with it, name your $$......
forty five million dollars. :lol:

That was my graduation present to myself after completing my master's degree. I paid $100 for it. A week later, another Fletcher autograph came up on eBay and sold for about $50. DOH!

Oh well, I still own it, and I'm happy to have it, as he's my fave!

(as an aside: my only other autograph from the period is from boogie woogie big band guy Will Bradley)

main_stem

#6 Post by main_stem » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:55 am

I saw what I believe to be a recration of a dance poster anouciung a coming battle between Duke Ellington and McKinney's Cotton Pickers. It was too mcuh for a reproduction but really cool.

IU've been trying to track down old letter press posters, especially those done by Hatch Show Prints. So far I haven't turned up much.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Soupbone

#7 Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:11 am

main_stem wrote: IU've been trying to track down old letter press posters, especially those done by Hatch Show Prints. So far I haven't turned up much.
Hatch Prints are cool. Did they do a lot of jazz stuff? I knew they did a lot of country stuff, given their location in Nashville. You know they still do prints? I put on a music festival in Chapel Hill NC several years back and had them make the posters. Groovy stuff.

falty411

#8 Post by falty411 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:14 am

im getting these this week:

-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Soupbone

#9 Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:20 am

falty411 wrote:im getting these this week:
Where did you get them? I've seen all of those with "buy it now" options on eBay. I assume they're repros? They have nice graphics.

Swifty

#10 Post by Swifty » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:21 am

The last two I've seen as repros. I haven't seen the Chick Webb one though, it's sweet!

Soupbone

#11 Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:20 am

Swifty wrote:The last two I've seen as repros. I haven't seen the Chick Webb one though, it's sweet!
In case folks are interested:

Armstrong
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=34292

Ellington

Calloway:

Basie:

Webb:

Goodman:

These are all repros.

So, what else do people own from back in "the day?"

main_stem

#12 Post by main_stem » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:37 am

Soupbone wrote:
main_stem wrote: IU've been trying to track down old letter press posters, especially those done by Hatch Show Prints. So far I haven't turned up much.
Hatch Prints are cool. Did they do a lot of jazz stuff? I knew they did a lot of country stuff, given their location in Nashville. You know they still do prints? I put on a music festival in Chapel Hill NC several years back and had them make the posters. Groovy stuff.
They did about everything. They have some old copper plates of Louis, Cab and Duke. My friend is pretty tight with Jim who runs the place now. I've thought about going down for a week or so and working with them just for fun.

Check out thei book from Chonical Press
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

falty411

#13 Post by falty411 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:12 pm

yeah they are all repros

just dont bid on the same ones i am!!! there are a couple different options for each poster.

i am falty411 on ebay too
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:32 pm

Soupbone wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: I haven;t got Fletcher yet.....lucky bastard :wink: if you ever want to part with it, name your $$......
forty five million dollars. :lol:

That was my graduation present to myself after completing my master's degree. I paid $100 for it. A week later, another Fletcher autograph came up on eBay and sold for about $50. DOH!

Oh well, I still own it, and I'm happy to have it, as he's my fave!

(as an aside: my only other autograph from the period is from boogie woogie big band guy Will Bradley)
Yea, thats about the general worth of most Big band leaders (not all by any means) , they fall into the 50 to 100, unless you run into another crazy fan in a big war. Make sure you keep care of it! don;t let it fade whatever you do..

Damn, you have Will Bradey Too? double bastard! another one of my favs I don;t have, he was a Great Trombone player that went on to be one of the most soight aftre studio musicians after the swing era....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Shanabanana

#15 Post by Shanabanana » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:35 pm

This is the image on my favorite piece. I was in a bidding war against another lindyhopper, but hey, all's fair in love and lindy.