Songs With Similar Chord Changes

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Travis

Songs With Similar Chord Changes

#1 Post by Travis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:15 am

Freddie mentioned in another thread that "I've Found a New Baby" and "I Hope Gabriel Likes My Music" have essentially the same chord changes (at least it sounds like it to me). It's also fairly common knowledge that "Lester Leaps In" (among many other songs) is based off the changes of "I've Got Rhythm". I'm curious what other common jazz songs have same/similar chord changes.

Sorry if this topic already exists - I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:28 am

Following the chord progression of "I Got Rhythm" is often referred to as "rhythm changes". Many uptempo jazz songs use them. There is an informative article on Wikipedia about rhythm changes, including a long list on songs using them.

Jesse

Travis

#3 Post by Travis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

That's a great article. Thanks for the link Jesse!

Haydn

#4 Post by Haydn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Good question and good article. It would be interesting to analyse which other songs have similar chord patterns.

Albert System

#5 Post by Albert System » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 pm

The Bop musicians based a lot of their tunes on early jazz songs.

For instance: "Back Home again in Indiana" is the same chord progression as "Donna Lee" by Charlie Parker

Also, "How High the Moon" has the same chord progression as "Ornithology" also by Charlie Parker.

Alos, the song "Rose Room" has the same chord progression as "In a Mellow Tone" by Duke Ellington.