Don't Be That Way - recordings you like and play

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Don't Be That Way - recordings you like and play

#1 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:50 am

KitKat bitched, so I deleted the post.
Last edited by Eyeball on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albert System

#2 Post by Albert System » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Don't forget the live 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert version with the ridiculous Krupa drum breaks- Crazy!

BTW- I like the Chick version......

kitkat

Re: Don't Be That Way - recordings you like and play

#3 Post by kitkat » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Eyeball wrote:I've never had the impression that the Chick Webb version was anything more than recording that came and went with the public, but was only savored bu Jazz record collectors.
*sigh*

Eyeball, you could be right about "the public" even if we play it.

We are not "the public."
We are 1990s-2000s swing dancers. We have very different tastes than America at large in the 1930s-1950s!

I mean, thanks for asking...but please don't start a thread every time we say something that's contradictory to your knowledge about that "the public" liked or likes. Can't we...like...have a single thread called "Historian John's surprised swing DJs play this a lot--discuss" where all these things go--a thread that would get revived instead of re-started every time such an instance comes up?

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I would recommend you refer to the prior thread on this topic:

Favourite recording of ... Don't Be That Way?

Jesse

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:05 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I would recommend you refer to the prior thread on this topic:

Jesse
Thanks, Jesse. It seemed too familiar. I am going to move my post over there. You can delete this useless thread.

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Eyeball wrote:I've never had the impression that the Chick Webb version was anything more than recording that came and went with the public, but was only savored bu Jazz record collectors.

The Benny Goodman version clicked with the public at large, It's better played by a better band and at a more fitting tempo to the piece.
It would be interesting to do discover the history of the different Goodman and Webb versions. Were they by the same arranger? If so, why the change in the arrangement? Who exactly decided on the slower tempo and why?

As for versions of this song that I like and play -

Like:
Goodman, Webb, J Dorsey, L Hampton, Mildred Bailey.

Have played when DJing:
Anita O'Day, Goodman, J Dorsey, L Hampton, Mildred Bailey, Teddy Wilson

Would DJ in future:
Goodman, Webb, J Dorsey, L Hampton, M Bailey

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:09 pm

kitkat wrote:
*sigh*

We are not "the public."
We are 1990s-2000s swing dancers. We have very different tastes than America at large in the 1930s-1950s!

I mean, thanks for asking...but please don't start a thread every time we say something that's contradictory to your knowledge about that "the public" liked or likes. Can't we...like...have a single thread called "Historian John's surprised swing DJs play this a lot--discuss" where all these things go--a thread that would get revived instead of re-started every time such an instance comes up?
Do you rag on everyone or is it just me here? It's been tiresome and somehow you slipped off "ignore". Back you go.

kitkat

#8 Post by kitkat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:23 am

Eyeball wrote:
kitkat wrote:
*sigh*

We are not "the public."

Do you rag on everyone or is it just me here? It's been tiresome and somehow you slipped off "ignore". Back you go.
I give my opinion's about a person's behavior any time they make this forum un-user-friendly, which generally means starting too many separate threads. It's not you in principle, it's just you most of the time in practice. But it's not you because you're you--just because of your behaviors. That I can assure you.

Lawrence

#9 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Eyeball wrote:Do you rag on everyone or is it just me here? It's been tiresome and somehow you slipped off "ignore". Back you go.
How utterly ironic in so many ways, not the least of which is that he targeted Katie, of all people, with whom I frequently disagree but I have never interpreted as being at all so "raggy."
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Since there is no merge function I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread and again refer folks to this one:

Thanks!
Reuben Brown
Southern California