Bix - An Interpretation of a Legend

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

zzzzoom

Bix - An Interpretation of a Legend

#1 Post by zzzzoom » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Just saw this movie tonight - it's an Italian film (1991) and even tho the plot jumps around and there are quite a few inaccuracies, it was really compelling. The music was good, and it seemed like it really captured the energy and youth of the era.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101460/

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Haha. I thought this was my own post b/c I was going to mention it a few days ago.

Ya - total thumbs up on this film which does not claim to be a biography, but sticks pretty close to the truth.

Great music, fine performances, good production values, the closest we will ever get to a 1920s jam session, recording session and radio broadcast.
Will big bands ever come back?

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:16 pm

There is a British TV series from around 1990 called The Beiderbeck Connection (and then next series they called The Beiderbeck Tapes, and then another The Beiderbeck Affair).

Very humourous, some super little scenes in there with a fairly generous smattering of Bix's music over the top of several scenes. The main character in it, played by James Bolam, is a school teacher who is also a massive Jazz fan, particularly BB. You might be able to get the DVDs in this country, Netflix or some other route.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard