New Swing Bands

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

ScottieK

#16 Post by ScottieK » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:47 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Another local musician i like, although he's no longer local since he's moved to southern california, is John Cocuzzi.
I actually think John moved to Sacramento which is NorCal. He's a great musician and we're really lucky to have him. If you get a chance to see him don't pass it up!

CMU Matt

#17 Post by CMU Matt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:53 am

Ann Arbor's own Phil Ogilvie's Rhythm Kings (www.porkjazz.com) and Royal Garden Trio (http://www.theroyalgardentrio.com/) are two of our top local acts.

lindyhop4life

Awesome New Bands

#18 Post by lindyhop4life » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:32 am

Hey! Here are a laundry list of bands to check out:

1. The Stolen Sweets - 20's and 30's songs sung in harmony by three lovely ladies... greaaat stuff!

2. Gunhild Carling - a big band leader from Sweden, she's got a badass scatted rendition of Flying Home.

3. The Wiyos and The Two Man Gentleman Band - very old school, vaudeville, (they're labeled as bluegrass, but I don't see it) dixieland, The Wiyos are a three man combo and the TMGB are two.. the Wiyos have a guy on washboard with all the bells and whistles, and a badass version of Jack Bland's " Who Stole the Lock" (as danced by Todd and Naomi at ULHS 2006), and the TMGB write all their original music.. some not so danceable, because it's at a blazing 275+ speed.. but who cares when you have a banjo and a doghouse bass? YOU HAVE TO CHECK EM OUT!!

4. Midnight Serenaders - out of Portland, these guys REALLY swing! Slower tempos, very pre-swing, with great versions of Annette Hanshaw songs, and suggestive lyrics!!

5. Jonathan Stout - band leader, swing dancer, all around hep cat... nuff said!!

6. Solomon Douglas - but who doesn't know him? right?

7. Check out my myspace profile for more cool bands.. they're in my favorites list... www.myspace.com/lindyhop4life

Thanks!!

Victor in Norfolk

lipi

Re: Awesome New Bands

#19 Post by lipi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 pm

lindyhop4life wrote: 2. Gunhild Carling - a big band leader from Sweden, she's got a badass scatted rendition of Flying Home.
um, yeah. didn't ella fitzgerald cover that, too?

i talked to the trumpet player (hans) of the carling family band at herrang this year. he has played with dexter gordon and stuff smith!