Actual (not armchair) HJDF

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

#136 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:27 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: You could have easily said;
"This is why it's important to know something about swing music..."
Technically you may be right, but he didn't say 'energy'; he gave me a number range. And think about it: isn't 'energy' also subjective?

I can't tell the guy, Oh no, you are wrong ..."Clap hands" has as much 'energy' as (that faster version of) 'Cottontail'. He may feel it diiferently than me and every other competititor and he has a right to that.
I guess your right, everyone has the right to Bitch, but we also have the right to not care or worry about what people think no matter how stupid they are....
Greg Avakian wrote:[
The other side of it is that some guy who can't tell the difference betweem 30+ BPM is running his mouth complaining that the DJ doesn't what he's doing. It's one thing to say he didn't like or enjoy the music, it's another thing to accuse rayned of being inaccurate. That kind of annoys me, because I know and trust Rayned.
ah, again, who cares what people think...especially when the'll eventually learn someday.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Ryan

#137 Post by Ryan » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:27 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:...who cares what people think...especially when the'll eventually learn someday.
Some people never learn.

Greg Avakian

#138 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:48 pm

Lawrence, I don't think I get your point.

He didn't wait to ask Rayned before he started telling me about this. How many other people did he tell that night?

On the other hand, Reuben and Peter may be right. We all know Rayned is awesome and does a great job picking music. So it's not Rayned who's gonna look bad. :)

Greg Avakian

#139 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:51 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote: I guess your right, everyone has the right to Bitch, but we also have the right to not care or worry about what people think no matter how stupid they are....
Well, I totally agree with that. :D

Swifty

#140 Post by Swifty » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:49 am

Greg Avakian wrote:This is why it's important to know something about BPMs: one of the competitors was absolutely certain that the J&Js were unfair because the fast song in the first heat was "way over 300" BPM. I swear most People have no idea what they are dancing to.
I thought the fast tunes gave the most insight in the J&J, I'm glad Rayned played what he did.

Lawrence

#141 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:38 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Lawrence, I don't think I get your point.
He didn't wait to ask Rayned before he started telling me about this. How many other people did he tell that night?
Read as just text in a box, I don't see his perception as being completely unreasonable. People mistake BPM measures all the time, and mistakenly express the sentiment "Damn, that was fast" with "that must have been over 300 BPM." I could also reasonably see him talking to you about it because you were available and "involved" as a DJ at the event. From our standpoint, you obviously had nothing to do with it, but from his standpoint, he might have thought you were the best one he had to complain about it.

However, I read what you wrote as if it was said with a matter-of-fact tone, or even an honest question, because I read it as just text. If it was said with a rather adament, accusatory tone, then I would probably have the same reaction you did.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#142 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:57 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote: haha, i was going to ask if that Strutters Ball was only on that ASV Hylton cd, but i see I have a copy on a Hawkins cd.
Is the Hylton stuff any good? those are my favorite tracks on that hawkins disc.
i don't know, i have the Darktown Strutters Ball on Hawkins cd called Somebody Loves Me that has some of his European recordings. however, listening the band behind Hawkins, I'm willing to go with Peter's assessment that they're pretty square. Another Darktown Strutter's Ball with Coleman Hawkins that i've been listening to lately and like better is the one by The Mound City Blue Blowers on that Eddie Condon boxset.

SirScratchAlot

#143 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:07 am

CafeSavoy wrote: Another Darktown Strutter's Ball with Coleman Hawkins that i've been listening to lately and like better is the one by The Mound City Blue Blowers on that Eddie Condon boxset.
Everything by the Mound City Blue Blowers is best... :wink:

Damn, you have good taste...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet