Actual (not armchair) HJDF

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

#16 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:15 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
djstarr wrote: What did you play for the 3 song jam Sunday night upstairs? That really kicked!
I kicked it off with "some heat" being Lunceford's "White Heat," then I went to Basie's "Panassie Stomp" to Hine's "XYZ." I actually played a forth song, Charlie Barnet's version of "Drop Me Off In Harlem." All but "Panassie Stomp" were easily in the 300bpm+ range.
Sunday night DJ'S rocked....great tunes, great vibes , great tempo's....undeniably the Best energy all weekend....

Yea, the faster songs where great. we could have used alot more of them...

who else DJed on Sunday? mad props...

jUNIOR, was cool as well, but it wasn;t the Ideal setting for someone as great as him...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

CafeSavoy

#17 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:54 pm

djstarr wrote: Rayned - I really liked the version of "Sent for you Yesterday" that you played Sunday in the park -- it had a male vocal group -- who was that?

Brenda
Hi Brenda,

Great meeting you again. That version was The Mills Brothers with Count Basie.

Swifty

#18 Post by Swifty » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:18 pm

falty411 wrote:it would of been nice if more of the DJs viewed the battle as a tribute to the artists from Harlem that brought us some of the best, hardest swinging music ever recorded.
Who would you have played?

I missed most of it due to J&J obligations, but so far I'm reading that Duke, Billie, Chick, Ella, Hamp, Lucky, Count, Sarah, etc. were played. I think that's a pretty decent tribute to the artists that played in Harlem.

falty411

#19 Post by falty411 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:58 pm

Swifty wrote:Who would you have played?

I missed most of it due to J&J obligations, but so far I'm reading that Duke, Billie, Chick, Ella, Hamp, Lucky, Count, Sarah, etc. were played. I think that's a pretty decent tribute to the artists that played in Harlem.
Well lets see,

If i played Ella, i would of played her with Chick Webb and not Count Basie.

If i was going to play Duke, it woulndt of been from the late 50s when he was hardly in Harlem.

If I was going to play Joe Williams, it would of been with Lionel Hampton

Gene Harris has nothing to do with Harlem

I guess I just would of tried to honor as many of the msuicians from Harlem as possible...not just the front men/women
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#20 Post by Swifty » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:35 pm

So what you're saying is that it's a time period thing, not an artist thing. Well, with the exception of one Gene Harris song.

Looking at the musicians that played on the tunes in Jesse's set, for example, I see many that played in Harlem. And in Reuben's set, the two that don't meet your criteria seem more than appropriate to me.

mark0tz

#21 Post by mark0tz » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:10 pm

falty411 wrote:Gene Harris has nothing to do with Harlem
Just to play Devil's Advocate... The song he chose that Gene Harris played was a gift from Harlem, from Duke Ellington. "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is certainly out of the Harlem years.
Mike Marcotte

KevinSchaper

#22 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:47 pm

mark0tz wrote: Just to play Devil's Advocate... The song he chose that Gene Harris played was a gift from Harlem, from Duke Ellington. "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is certainly out of the Harlem years.
Willie Nelson recorded it too. (to further advocate for the devil)

djstarr

#23 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:07 pm

CafeSavoy wrote: Hi Brenda,

Great meeting you again. That version was The Mills Brothers with Count Basie.
Thanks Rayned! It was fun seeing you and dancing with you again - hope you can make it out to the West Coast sometime soon!

djstarr

#24 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:09 pm

GuruReuben wrote:I kicked it off with "some heat" being Lunceford's "White Heat," then I went to Basie's "Panassie Stomp" to Hine's "XYZ." I actually played a forth song, Charlie Barnet's version of "Drop Me Off In Harlem." All but "Panassie Stomp" were easily in the 300bpm+ range.
Thanks! I was finally in the front of a jam where I could see something - it was very cool ;-)

Zot

#25 Post by Zot » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:29 pm

Sorry, a copy and paste error in my previous post... I deleted one of my tracks!

Yacht Club Swing Intro (180) 1:00 Fats Waller A Career Perspective 1922-1943
Yacht Club Swing (170) 3:52 Fats Waller A Career Perspective 1922-1943
Pent Up In A Penthouse (128) 3:40 Fats Waller A Career Perspective 1922-1943
Basie English (170) Live at Birdland
Smart Aleck (182) 3:24 Lionel Hampton All Star Sessions, Volume 1: Open House (Disc 2)

Shorty Dave

#26 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:30 pm

falty411 wrote:it would of been nice if more of the DJs viewed the battle as a tribute to the artists from Harlem that brought us some of the best, hardest swinging music ever recorded.
You're right, I don't know what they were thinking. I mean it's not like "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" is a tribute to Duke Ellington. What kind of loose-ass interpretation is that?
It was definitly a good mix of music between all the DJs though and pleased everyone. The battle seemed more like the Djing at an exchange.
Couldn't agree with you more. The music being played at 1:30am last Sat reminded me exactly of the music being played at 1:30am at the Albany Exchange after hours the week before, as well as the Dallas Exchange and New Orleans Exchange, (the last three exchanges I've been to).

Seems like the audience agreed with you, too, Mike. I couldn't stop hearing complaints about the terrible, laid back, exchange-like "late night" music that was played during the battle.
Last edited by Shorty Dave on Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shorty Dave

#27 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:33 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote: jUNIOR, was cool as well, but it wasn;t the Ideal setting for someone as great as him...
Glad you liked Junior. Same goes with the battle on Fri night re: the setting. It's a bummer we couldn't get the Alhambra...would have been much more room to dance.

Shorty Dave

#28 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:35 pm

djstarr wrote:Thanks Rayned! It was fun seeing you and dancing with you again - hope you can make it out to the West Coast sometime soon!
You still owe me a drink!!! LOL

Shorty Dave

#29 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:41 pm

Yeah, and what was with Reuben playing an LCJO song from 1999??? What kind of lame-ass tribute to Harlem is that??? And the Ellington-Armstrong song? That was recorded after the Savoy the turned into housing. The least you could have done was played a song from back when the Savoy existed!

Abdel

#30 Post by Abdel » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:44 pm

Unfortunately, I wasn't there on Sunday to hear the great live music and the wonderful djing. However, as for Saturday night, I am going to have to disagree with Mike on that one. The music that night was nothing like any exchanges that I have ever attended. Usually, the music at most exchanges is more laid back without such a strong emphasis on influential big band music of Harlem.

Furtheremore, I thought Jesse's selection was perfect for spinning last in the battle. In fact, that "C- Jam Blues" version by Duke is my favorite one of the song and I would have played it if I were in that battle. For me one of the most important elements of being a good dj is to know what music to play and when to play it. Jesse definitely demonstrated that over the weekend and in the past like some of know have done also.

I'll say it again, I thought that everyone did a great. The weekend got kicked off with Mike spinning on Friday afternoon shortly after the rain. The floor was packed and almost everyone was dancing. I knew then that the weekend was going to be amazing. I am hoping that they do it again next year. Later