Actual (not armchair) HJDF

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#91 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:38 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:If a few people are ignorant enough to bash Willie, not much I can say for them. If you don't like Willie, you are missing out. There is a lot more to music appreciation than swing and jazz.
No one was bashing Willie, although i can't say i'm a big fan. But i must admit that i enjoyed his special on tv the other night. Some of it was funny like those guys who sang "we won't get high with willie no more".

i think Shana's comment on the Female DJ thread is appropriate here:
Shanabanana wrote:It also seems that the national DJ scene turns into a swordfight most of the time a discussion is happening. Most of the threads on this board are a great example. Instead of a respectful discussion of music, it turns into a juvenile namecalling session.

falty411

#92 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:43 pm

so whos sword is bigger? Rayneds or Reubens?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

CafeSavoy

#93 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:44 pm

falty411 wrote:so whos sword is bigger? Rayneds or Reubens?
oh no, this board is turning into rec-martial-arts.

Lawrence

#94 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:01 pm

Lawrence wrote:... and Willie Nelson has always been considered an Austin original, and I DON'T APPRECIATE ALL THE WILLIE-BASHING GOING ON IN THIS THREAD, DAMN-NABIT!!! :evil: :twisted: :wink:
Cafe Savoy wrote:No one was bashing Willie, although i can't say i'm a big fan.
Note: all-caps combined with a wink and a few "twisted-evil" emoticons indicates sarcasm. 8) We were taking ourselves a bit too seriously. 8) I'm not a big fan of Willie, either, to be honest.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

JesseMiner

#95 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:04 pm

main_stem wrote:Honestly I think there was a great oprotunity lost here. There was a chance to really put the spotlight on our musical forfathers.
Honestly I thought this opportunity was in fact taken by many DJs. The diverse selection of DJs for the HJDF was perfect, ensuring that the past and present of Lindy Hop were both greatly celebrated, the focus of this event after all. I'm glad a lot of the music that spawned this dance was strongly represented, but I'm also glad that where we are today wasn't forgotten in the process. This wasn't just any old weekend - the music was definitely rich with history throughout the event. I know all my selections were picked for specific reasons highlighting this beautiful dance called Lindy Hop.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#96 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:22 pm

And before I forget, here's the final set by Rayned and myself in the Battle of the DJs:

Rayned - Things Ain't What They Used To Be - Duke Ellington Orchestra (Mercer Leading) (Mood Indigo) (162/3:10)
Jesse - Take The A-Train - Eddie Jefferson (Letters From Home) (155/3:12)
Rayned - Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me - Lyambiko (Out Of This Mood) (128/3:12)
Jesse - BP Blues - Claude Tissendier (Saxomania w/ Benny Carter) (125/5:28 )
Rayned - Mack The Knife - Ella Fitzgerald (Ella at Juan-Les-Pins) (166/3:44)
Jesse - The Daly Jump - Count Basie (Atomic Swing) (187/4:10)
Rayned - Christopher Columbus - Dan Barrett (Blue Swing) (192/4:00)
Jesse - On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Dizzy Gillespie (The Champ) (134/3:09)
Rayned - Hot Mallets - Lionel Hampton (1939-1940 Classics) (270/2:17) (Request)
Together - Honeysuckle Rose - Ella Fitzgerald (Ella at Juan-Les-Pins) (160/5:06)

I love spinning with Rayned as we always seem to inspire each other when we go back and forth with tunes. It was a great way to end such a swinging evening.

Jesse

Roy

#97 Post by Roy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:33 pm

Chiming in late, but I just wanted to say I thought the music was great. I missed the battle of the DJ's when I found out Benny Powell was playing a scant block away at the Lenox Lounge. All the rest of the weekend had great music both live and DJed.

falty411

#98 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:29 pm

JesseMiner wrote:1. Hellzapoppin' - Slim & Slam (160/280) -
do you have a different version of this than I do? I have the complete columbia master takes and my version is closer to 310 bpm than to 280?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

JesseMiner

#99 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:50 pm

Same collection - cleanest version I've heard. You're right, it probably is closer to 310. It's tough to get the counting correct sometimes at those higher tempos. I went back and counted it again and got 310 or so myself.

Jesse

falty411

#100 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:17 pm

just checkin

thanks

by the way, great contest music
-mikey faltesek

Greg Avakian

#101 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:47 pm

Wow, that was a lot of posting in a day you guys!

Here's my list:
Title/Artist /BPM

1). Let's get together / Ellington / 190
2). One O'clock jump / Metronome allstars / 176
3). Illinois blows the blues / Greg Piccolo / 160
4). Things we did today / Irene Reid /152
5). Woody / Leo Parker / 196

I picked all the music because I love it.

The one that I may not have a 'Harlem' connection for is The Metronome Allstars ...when I put in the CD I was going to play, I couldn't hear it clearly through the headphones and I thought the player was not reading the CD -so I just grabbed something I knew I really liked at the last minute. I don't know where Metronome magazine was published and I expect the musicians came from the national scene. It's a great version of 'One O'clock jump'!

The only song I thought about in advance was "Let's get together" because I thought it was a nice theme for the idea that there were a lot of different dancers there. This is also one of my current favorite tunes.

Peace,
Greg
Last edited by Greg Avakian on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Avakian

#102 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:53 pm

I thought Saturday night's music was great! I liked every set and thought we all complimented each other well.
The contestants were also mind-blowingly skilled and inspirational.
Apollo show was fun as was the stepping contest.

All in all a great event.

CafeSavoy

#103 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:56 pm

Greg Avakian wrote: The one that I may not have a 'Harlem' connection for is The Metronome Allstars ...when I put in the CD I was going to play, I couldn't hear it clearly through the headphones and I thought the player was not reading the CD -so I just grabbed something I knew I really liked at the last minute. I don't know where Metronome magazine was published and I expect the musicians came from the national scene. It's a great version of 'One O'clock jump'!
well it's basie on piano, so it must be Kansas City.

the lineup for that session is:
buddy rich, drums; count basie, piano, charlie christian, guitar; jc higginbotham, trombone; coleman hawkins, tenor sax, cootie williams,trumpet; benny carter, alto sax, benny goodman, clarinet

SirScratchAlot

#104 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:51 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Actually Jimmie Lunceford gets a lot of play these days. I know I spin his music all the time. Plenty of us played Lunceford tunes this past weekend as is evident from the playlists posted here.

Sy Oliver is of course amazing as well. I played his tune "Rumble" between competition rounds on Saturday afternoon and his arrangement of "The Minor Goes Muggin" during the competition.

Jesse
I didn't play Lunceford cause I wasn't sure if he was Harlem, since he developed in the territories and didn't come to New York until 1934. Although i might have played his Harlem Shout anyways for social dancing. I know i played some of the songs associated with him by other artists: Four of Five Times (Rex Stewart), Honeysuckle Rose (Hawkins, Carter, & Django), Tain't What You Do (Newport All Stars), However I did play some of the Tommy Dorsey songs with Sy Oliver. As for Don Redman, i played his arrangement of Sugar Foot Stomp for Fletcher Henderson, and he was probably on some of the other Fletcher Henderson stuff too.
Like Reuben Posted Luncefords was a house band at the Savoy as well as a Cotton club house band...
anyways, it was my mistake, to say he was left out....apparently he wasn;t.

and obviously a Conection can be made to Don Redman probably by playing anything after him....many of his arrangements became stock arrangemnets used by many...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#105 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:07 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
the Tap tribute wasnt really a tribute until the hot shots got out there and actually did something to pay respect to the tap legends before them.
I didn't see the tap tribute, but to say that the tap dancers before the hot shots weren't paying tribute to their legends (just 'cuz they didn't copy a routine) I'm sure is an insult to those tap dancers who worked so hard and were influenced in many ways by their predecessors.
Mike is kinda right about that...Most of the Legends are hardly impressed by the modern dancers, and thats goes for Savion as well. Thay tend to think their technic is good, but everything else lacks.

I could name a crap load that think that....most importantly Leonard Reed, the king of all performers.

Me personally, I didn;t enjoy the first act at all, it simply wasn;t very good, not in ability or more importantly as a performance. (ability can be low and it can still be a great performance and/or tribute) But lacking in both is kinda depressing.

But I did enjoy the Battle after the Hot shots. But then again I would not have expected Tappers of that level to actually put the time into learning a rouitne to perform, thats just how they are, they are about winging it and Hitting with no music.

The Hot shots stole the show no doubt...and they did it not in ability but on their performance level.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet