Actual (not armchair) HJDF

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

main_stem

#46 Post by main_stem » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:40 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
djstarr wrote: p.s. I found the Lady Day Swings CD - I'm really excited since she has such a great voice but most of the collections I've heard is slower non-danceable songs.....

You might want to also check out Billie Holiday and Lester Young, A Musical Romance,
it's another recent reissue from Columbia with some of her great work with Lester Young.
Great tunes and awesome sidemen. Image
There are also 2 CDs put out by Definitive that collect all the work of Billie and Lester. SOund quality is good but not as good as the Columbia reissues, but I have no problem spinning them. Still there are songs on the Definitive CDs that are not covered in the Comlumbia reissues.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

main_stem

#47 Post by main_stem » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:46 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:
haha, so ya want to be a DJ???? talk to me when you break the 1,000 cd mark.... :lol:
Damn! that means I still have 850 left to go.

SirScratchAlot wrote: hey, are you going to that Little Jazz store in Seattle thats downstairs in the basement...??? I dropped a few Bills in there...damn it! LOL
Bud's Jazz Records. Gawd that place is awesome. Well it used to be. The last time I was down ther thing were pretty skimpy and they hadn't restocked a lot of artists. Have to go check it out again.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

JesseMiner

#48 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:38 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:P.S. and thanks to Reuben , we got to hear Jimmie Lunceford, yet another way over looked orchestra who's arranger Sy Oliver was an over welming influence to the swing era....
Actually Jimmie Lunceford gets a lot of play these days. I know I spin his music all the time. Plenty of us played Lunceford tunes this past weekend as is evident from the playlists posted here.

Sy Oliver is of course amazing as well. I played his tune "Rumble" between competition rounds on Saturday afternoon and his arrangement of "The Minor Goes Muggin" during the competition.

Jesse

Soupbone

#49 Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:16 am

JesseMiner wrote:Plenty of us played Lunceford tunes this past weekend as is evident from the playlists posted here.
e
I thought that seemed like an odd omission!

CafeSavoy

#50 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:36 am

JesseMiner wrote:Actually Jimmie Lunceford gets a lot of play these days. I know I spin his music all the time. Plenty of us played Lunceford tunes this past weekend as is evident from the playlists posted here.

Sy Oliver is of course amazing as well. I played his tune "Rumble" between competition rounds on Saturday afternoon and his arrangement of "The Minor Goes Muggin" during the competition.

Jesse
I didn't play Lunceford cause I wasn't sure if he was Harlem, since he developed in the territories and didn't come to New York until 1934. Although i might have played his Harlem Shout anyways for social dancing. I know i played some of the songs associated with him by other artists: Four of Five Times (Rex Stewart), Honeysuckle Rose (Hawkins, Carter, & Django), Tain't What You Do (Newport All Stars), However I did play some of the Tommy Dorsey songs with Sy Oliver. As for Don Redman, i played his arrangement of Sugar Foot Stomp for Fletcher Henderson, and he was probably on some of the other Fletcher Henderson stuff too.

CafeSavoy

#51 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:45 am

laf wrote:(and yeah, Jesse, that was me screaming for Andy. You and Rayned had great sets, but I think it's too easy for everyone to forget about that great dj they loved 45 minutes ago. Not *just* sour grapes.).
i agree, Andy's set was kick ass. I thought all the sets were great, i cheered for everyone.

falty411

#52 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:00 am

you mean the song off of an album that is an entire tribute to ellington where the artists made an effort to recreate ellingotns band during its peak years?

Gene Harris playing Dont get a round much anymore is no more a tribute than (as someone said) Willie Nelson playing it.

To draw a comparison, the Tap tribute wasnt really a tribute until the hot shots got out there and actually did something to pay respect to the tap legends before them.

Shorty Dave wrote:Yeah, and what was with Reuben playing an LCJO song from 1999??? What kind of lame-ass tribute to Harlem is that??? And the Ellington-Armstrong song? That was recorded after the Savoy the turned into housing. The least you could have done was played a song from back when the Savoy existed!
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Mr Awesomer

#53 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:11 am

CafeSavoy wrote:I didn't play Lunceford cause I wasn't sure if he was Harlem, since he developed in the territories and didn't come to New York until 1934.
He was the house band of the Savoy in '32. '34 was when he moved into the Cotton Club.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

falty411

#54 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:12 am

the music during the battle seemed like music, had you taken a 6 song sample from the DJs at the Chicago Exchange. (where they have a great mix of djs)

i know the rules werent saying that it had to be a tribute to Harlem and the the musical/dance renasciance that occured early last century. Im just saying it would of been nice had it been looked at this way.

ps If you want hard swinging stuff by billie holiday, get some of her material when she recorded with Teddy Wilson.

Teddy Wilson is the shit
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Shorty Dave

#55 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:13 am

you mean the song off of an album that is an entire tribute to ellington where the artists made an effort to recreate ellingotns band during its peak years?

Gene Harris playing Dont get a round much anymore is no more a tribute than (as someone said) Willie Nelson playing it.

To draw a comparison, the Tap tribute wasnt really a tribute until the hot shots got out there and actually did something to pay respect to the tap legends before them.
Mike, are you really that narrow minded, or are you just being a prick for the sake of being a prick?

falty411

#56 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:15 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
Mike, are you really that narrow minded, or are you just being a prick for the sake of being a prick?
Uhm, where am i being a prick. I am stating my opinion. It seems quite rude of you do go around throwing insults.

Explain to me your reasoning why gene harris playing "Dont Get Around Much Anymore" is a tribute to ellington as oppose to just resorting to insults.
-mikey faltesek

Mr Awesomer

#57 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:17 am

There is a big difference between being narrow minded and wanting to focus on something specific from time to time out of respect.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#58 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:24 am

falty411 wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote:
Uhm, where am i being a prick. I am stating my opinion. It seems quite rude of you do go around throwing insults.

Explain to me your reasoning why gene harris playing "Dont Get Around Much Anymore" is a tribute to ellington as oppose to just resorting to insults.
Ok, I guess narrow-minded it is! I'm not just talking about Gene Harris. I'm talking about LCJO. And the tap tribute. Dude, you can pay tribute to someone by taking something they did and making it your own. Sure, taking someone's exact arrangements (or dance routine) and recreating it is one way of paying tribute, but it sure as hell ain't the only way (and oftentimes it's not the most creative of ways, either).

Shorty Dave

#59 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:28 am

the Tap tribute wasnt really a tribute until the hot shots got out there and actually did something to pay respect to the tap legends before them.
I didn't see the tap tribute, but to say that the tap dancers before the hot shots weren't paying tribute to their legends (just 'cuz they didn't copy a routine) I'm sure is an insult to those tap dancers who worked so hard and were influenced in many ways by their predecessors.

falty411

#60 Post by falty411 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:34 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Ok, I guess narrow-minded it is! I'm not just talking about Gene Harris. I'm talking about LCJO. And the tap tribute. Dude, you can pay tribute to someone by taking something they did and making it your own. Sure, taking someone's exact arrangements (or dance routine) and recreating it is one way of paying tribute, but it sure as hell ain't the only way (and oftentimes it's not the most creative of ways, either).
Have you ever talked to Fayard? I have spoke to him before about modern tap and his opinion of it. He is a very nice man, and chooses his words carefully. I got the impression from him that he really dislikes where the dance has gone. In meeting and talking to Jimmy Slyde this weekend, i got the same impression from him.

Now take that, and think about Fayards rection to seeing the routine him and his brother created years ago reperformed. The smile on his face was priceless, his wife was almost brough to tears.

Andy Skye Nina and Naomis routine. NOT a recreation, completley innovative and mostly stuff they made up was a tribute as well. It doesnt need to be a recreation to be a tribute. I think it just needs to be for the people that are being payed tribute, not for the dancers themeselves (Ruthie Rheingold cried after seeing A,S,N, and N's routine.)

That doesnt mean the other performances were bad, or lame, or whatever....just like im not saying the DJing in the battle was bad.

All i am saying is it could of been WAY more of a tribute to a lot of forgotten artists. Especially forgotten in a scene which you think they would be thriving (but arent) our swing scene.
-mikey faltesek