Actual (not armchair) HJDF

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#31 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:12 pm

Abdel wrote:Unfortunately, I wasn't there on Sunday to hear the great live music and the wonderful djing. However, as for Saturday night, I am going to have to disagree with Mike on that one. The music that night was nothing like any exchanges that I have ever attended. Usually, the music at most exchanges is more laid back without such a strong emphasis on influential big band music of Harlem........
so I took my shopping list from the battle songs posted so far and succeeded to blow away the help at the CD stores I went shopping at tonight. "wow - a lot of this stuff is out of print"; "these guys really know their music"; at the used cd store the clerk was "well, I was holding the Armstrong/Ellington CD back for myself, but I don't mind selling it to someone looking for great stuff".

yet another confirmation that the music Saturday night kicked butt ---- and we have 4 more DJ's to hear from..........

p.s. I found the Lady Day Swings CD - I'm really excited since she has such a great voice but most of the collections I've heard is slower non-danceable songs.....

djstarr

#32 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:14 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:You still owe me a drink!!! LOL
Dude - I asked after you on Saturday but managed to miss you......come on out to Seattle sometime......

laf

#33 Post by laf » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:05 pm

My set:
Opus Two... Buddy Johnson (minus 00:00:20 intro, as Abdel noted), 1945
Bli-Blip... Duke Ellington (Ray Nance vocal), 1940
Sweet Georgia Brown... Erskine Hawkins, 1940
Vine Street Rumble... Basie, live in 1960 ('cause I like it, ok?)
Darktown Strutters Ball... Coleman Hawkins with the John Hylton Orchestra, 193? (ok, with the JH Orch this violates the 85% thing, but to me it was a Coleman Hawkins song, and I love it. So dock my pay.)

Abdel: ditto.

I thought the music was far and away unquestionably superior to your standard exchange music. Every night was a great night of music. Nothing quite matched the big band battle of Friday night, but Saturday was, on the whole, the best night of dj'd music I've heard (and yeah, Jesse, that was me screaming for Andy. You and Rayned had great sets, but I think it's too easy for everyone to forget about that great dj they loved 45 minutes ago. Not *just* sour grapes.). Friday afternoon, with Mike, was a fantastic opener to the weekend, and Sunday afternoon and evening, with Rayned and Rueben was terrific, with variety in speed, style, and era.
Also, Monday night at Luci's, with the Harlem Rennaisance Orchestra, was beautiful.

If that's typical exchange music to you, Mike, I want to know what exchanges you're going to.

L

CafeSavoy

#34 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:16 pm

djstarr wrote: p.s. I found the Lady Day Swings CD - I'm really excited since she has such a great voice but most of the collections I've heard is slower non-danceable songs.....

You might want to also check out Billie Holiday and Lester Young, A Musical Romance,
it's another recent reissue from Columbia with some of her great work with Lester Young.
Great tunes and awesome sidemen. Image

djstarr

#35 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:21 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:You might want to also check out Billie Holiday and Lester Young, A Musical Romance,
it's another recent reissue from Columbia with some of her great work with Lester Young.
Great tunes and awesome sidemen.
ha! when do y'all go broke? I bought 8 CD's tonight......*and* one of the stores is going to track down the Mills Bros' with Basie for me (the clerk was like "they played together?").

I will put this on my list - thanks!

laf

#36 Post by laf » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:23 pm

ha! when do y'all go broke?
All the time, Brenda. All the time.

CafeSavoy

#37 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:27 pm

djstarr wrote:.*and* one of the stores is going to track down the Mills Bros' with Basie for me (the clerk was like "they played together?").
haha, wonder what he'll say when you ask for the Jackie Wilson with Count Basie recording.

SirScratchAlot

#38 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:31 am

djstarr wrote:.*ha! when do y'all go broke? I bought 8 CD's tonight......*and* one of the stores is going to track down the Mills Bros' with Basie for me (the clerk was like "they played together?").

I will put this on my list - thanks!
haha, so ya want to be a DJ???? talk to me when you break the 1,000 cd mark.... :lol:

hey, are you going to that Little Jazz store in Seattle thats downstairs in the basement...??? I dropped a few Bills in there...damn it! LOL
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#39 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:39 am

falty411 wrote:
Well lets see,

If I was going to play Joe Williams, it would of been with Lionel Hampton
Hampton has alwasy been considered a Los Angeles originals, even though he did eventually move to NY ....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

SirScratchAlot

#40 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:05 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: jUNIOR, was cool as well, but it wasn;t the Ideal setting for someone as great as him...
Glad you liked Junior. Same goes with the battle on Fri night re: the setting. It's a bummer we couldn't get the Alhambra...would have been much more room to dance.
I thought the music was awesome all weekend....but I also thought the dance surfaces where the worse I've ever experienced in my life. venue after venue, I can even beleive that thing outside was considered a dance floor! (it's just treated construction grade Ply)LOL hahaha But hey it worked and ended up being the better of anything else...

thank god for Dance Manhattan on Thurs! hhmmm, too bad we didn;t just take that over for saturday...

Well, I didn't "hate" Jimmies Uptown Fri and sun...It could be an awesome ongoing place for dances I think...
As for the room, simply removing or stacking the tables away would have done the trick, and for what they were charging they should of had someone clean the floor, if not a volunteer for trade....it really surprised me that this didn't happen, especially after how things were on Friday, I thought Sunday would have been prepaired.

Downstairs, well , kinda dissapointing . But primarily because no one could see the master at work.....shameful.

You did an awesome Job with sound, and thats the most important thing and the biggest pain in the ass. The Live Music sound was really nice as was the DJ's...

SirScratchAlot

#41 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:18 am

Swifty wrote:So what you're saying is that it's a time period thing, not an artist thing. Well, with the exception of one Gene Harris song.

Looking at the musicians that played on the tunes in Jesse's set, for example, I see many that played in Harlem. And in Reuben's set, the two that don't meet your criteria seem more than appropriate to me.
the Harlem Renaissance was infact a time period. Great things from this culture and this region where developed in which this "jazz dance festival" was held..... and It is in fact true this time period was ignored.

but what ya going to do, nobody likes it, or nobody cares....

Obviously Duke is a no brainer, but was any Cotton Club stuff played? It surely didn't need to be, but it would have been nice to hear some of that Jungle Music right there where it started...

other then Duke, the two that impacted more then anybody would have Fletcher Henderson whos arrangements "kicked off" the swing era into the mainstream America.

and the most important uncredited influenceof all Big bands ..Don Redman ... but hey, who ever heard of him? LOL certainly not a "swing DJ" HAHAHA

I thought everyone did a great Job, The music was still awesome all weekend....!

P.S. and thanks to Reuben , we got to hear Jimmie Lunceford, yet another way over looked orchestra who's arranger Sy Oliver was an over welming influence to the swing era....

JesseMiner

#42 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:34 am

Competition Music for the 2003 HJDF Hellzapoppin’ Lindy Hop Competition

ROUND 1 - 30 couples

Heat 1
1. Chant Of The Groove - Fats Waller (184)
2. Apollo Jumps - Lucky Millinder (155)
3. Blues In The Groove - Jimmie Lunceford (210)

Heat 2
1. Cement Mixer - Eddie Brunner (180)
2. Let Me Off Uptown - Lucky Millinder (154)
3. Go Harlem - Chick Webb (215)

Heat 3
1. The Minor Goes Muggin’ - Duke Ellington (177)
2. Little Joe From Chicago - Andy Kirk (152)
3. Shorty George - Count Basie (208)

Heat 4
1. Who Ya Hunchin' - Chick Webb (182)
2. Jump Session - Slim & Slam (154)
3. Main Stem - Duke Ellington (208)

ROUND 2 - 15 couples

Heat 1
1. Bottoms Up - Illinois Jacquet (195)
2. Dunkin' A Doughnut - Andy Kirk (168)
3. Every Tub - Count Basie (248)

Heat 2
1. It's Time To Jump and Shout - Jimmie Lunceford (197)
2. Jumpin' At The Savoy - Al Cooper (160)
3. Swingtime In The Rockies - Bennie Goodman (240)

Heat 3
1. Taps Miller - Count Basie (190)
2. Wednesday Night Hop - Andy Kirk (167)
3. Harlem Speaks - Charlie Barnet (257)

All-skate
1. Swingin’ The Blues - Count Basie (218)

ROUND 3 - 6 couples

Warm-up
1. Swingmatism - Jay McShann (175)

Heat 1
1. Tippin’ In - Erskine Hawkins (146)
3. Bugle Call Rag - Metronome All Stars (260)

All-skate
1. Mason Flyer - Lucky Millinder (225)

ROUND 4 - 2 couples

Heat 1
1. Hellzapoppin' - Slim & Slam (160/280) - yup, they danced to the entire song.

This was an amazing competition. I had a blast working hard with Janice, Nicole and Christine to make it a success.

Jesse

Soupbone

#43 Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:39 am

other then Duke, the two that impacted more then anybody would have Fletcher Henderson whos arrangements "kicked off" the swing era into the mainstream America.

and the most important uncredited influenceof all Big bands ..Don Redman ... but hey, who ever heard of him? LOL certainly not a "swing DJ" HAHAHA
Man... comments like this make me wish the Down South Balboa Meetin' hadn't fallen through -- Friday night's dance was to have a band battle between Fletcher Henderson and McKinney's Cotton Pickers! Does having planned that make me less of a "swing DJ?" :lol:

Reuben was the only one playing Jimmie Lunceford??? Oh my heart... I love that man (I mean Lunceford, not Reuben). More folks need to play Lunceford.

I didn't go to HJDF, but it seems like it made a concerted effort to guide the music at the event or at least give some structure from which to work, which I think is a big plus. Seems like a lot of events just let the chips fall where they may.

Abdel

#44 Post by Abdel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:21 am

Rueben wasn't the only one that played Jimmie Lunceford. I heard Andy, Jesse and myself aslo played his music. I thought almost everyone love Jimmie Lunceford.

Brenda, I am sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet each other. Perhaps, we will at another event. What events are you planning on attending on the near future?

Man, why is Shorty Dave posting so many times in a row?

Andy Reid

#45 Post by Andy Reid » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:46 am

I >>THINK<< this is what I played, though I didn't write it down.

1. Chick Webb - Blue Room (Standing Tall)
2. Henry Red Allen - Love Me or Leave Me (World on a String)
3. (CAN'T REMEMBER)
4. Buddy Tate - Two Left Feet (Texas Tenor Sax)
5. Jimmie Lunceford - Lunceford Special (Lunceford Special)