Louis Armstrong's Impact on Harlem (and vice versa)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mark0tz

Louis Armstrong's Impact on Harlem (and vice versa)

#1 Post by mark0tz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:25 pm

Since it got buried in everything else going on in the "Arm-Chair" discussion, I'm re-asking Rayned's question about "where do you think Louis Armstrong fits in when it comes to Harlem, Harlem Jazz, and Harlem Jazz Dancing?" We've driven the Basie discussion into the ground, how about Satch?
Mike Marcotte

funkyfreak

#2 Post by funkyfreak » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:44 am

Louis Armstrong and the Theory of Relativity
Miles Davis once said, "You can't play nothing on trumpet that doesn't come from him, not even modern sh*t." This is true not only for trumpet players, but for everyone. The best players never copied Louis overtly, but were inspired by him to come up with their own innovations.
-FF

SirScratchAlot

Re: Louis Armstrong's Impact on Harlem (and vice versa)

#3 Post by SirScratchAlot » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:50 am

mark0tz wrote:Since it got buried in everything else going on in the "Arm-Chair" discussion, I'm re-asking Rayned's question about "where do you think Louis Armstrong fits in when it comes to Harlem, Harlem Jazz, and Harlem Jazz Dancing?" We've driven the Basie discussion into the ground, how about Satch?
He went there and schooled them out....ask Jabbo,
from there on out Harlem tried to invent,copy and recreate the feeling that Louis brought into their bands.

Rex Stewert has some good insight as to what Louis' presence did for the bands he sat in with.

but Louis did that everywhere he went....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Greg Avakian

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:05 am

SirScratchAlot wrote: but Louis did that everywhere he went....
That's what I was ging to say.

I'm thinking downtown had more impact on Louis...how did playing for so many white audiences change his repetoire and style???

SirScratchAlot

#5 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:21 am

Greg Avakian wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote: but Louis did that everywhere he went....
That's what I was ging to say.

I'm thinking downtown had more impact on Louis...how did playing for so many white audiences change his repetoire and style???
Well, I beleive Like so many Jazz Players from that earlier time, it was not only about Playin but also performing. Its has to look as good as it sounds, so I think his personality if anything would have been changed more then his music. He played was he loved, it just so happens alot of others did as well...thats what I've primarily read.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet