songs that are suitable for East Coast Swing (6-count swing)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

songs that are suitable for East Coast Swing (6-count swing)

#1 Post by Eyeball » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 pm

"....songs that are suitable for East Coast Swing (6-count swing)."

Aren't those the same songs that people who dance 8 count Lindy dance to?

I usually did 6 count only b/c it was easier for me and I never remembered 8 count properly.

Are there songs that people who only dance ECS prefer over your 'normal' Lindy type songs?
Will big bands ever come back?

dancin_hanson

#2 Post by dancin_hanson » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 pm

For a long time, folks around here have typically started out learning 6-count East Coast Swing instead of jumping right into Lindy Hop. Although it varies a bit with different teachers, they're fed a steady diet of jump blues, some rockabilly, early rock 'n' roll, and (even now :roll:) neo-swing in classes, as opposed to classic swing from the 30's & 40's. They are exposed to some classic swing, but a disproportionately small amount, in my view. So that (jump blues, etc.) is what the beginner & early intermediate ECS dancers seem to prefer to dance to at social dances.
Starting a year or so ago, some younger, talented instructors are now teaching beginners Lindy Hop from the get-go, and at the same time exposing them to more classic swing.. but I guess that's off the thread topic.

Surreal

#3 Post by Surreal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:34 am

I find music that has a strong 12 rhythm (or can be interpreted as such) rather than 1234 is good for ECS.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:39 pm

I'd concur with the jump blues/rhythm & blues sound. Most of the time musicality and phrasing are not a priority in social dancing so 32 bar/12 bar are not the first thing I think about when choosing music as a DJ.

If I'm choosing music for teaching and want to make use of the phrasing, I'll usually go for 12 bar stuff. If it's step, step, rock-step dancing, I'll lean toward faster jump blues with a bit of a back-beat. If it's triple-step, triple-step, rock-step, I'll usually choose rhythm and blues stuff with more of a shuffle rhythm.

Ballroom dancers (around here) usually prefer to dance their version of East Coast Swing to rock/pop music with a harsh beat that doesn't really swing and no interesting melodies to play with. I guess it makes it easy for rhythmically challenged newbies when there is a beat that clubs you over the head and doesn't have any distractions. For jive (the non-triple-step style), they tend to lean to rock and roll or neo-swing.

Country dancers tend to incorporate a little more music with shuffle rhythm, either something bluesey or country-rock style, vocals with a drawl and a twangy guitar.

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:37 pm

Blue Suit Boogie - Indigo Swing. Perfect ECS song.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Since you spun the topic off from the DJ Training thread and the Guidelines I wrote with Matt Jones and Colin Wise years ago....

Step out the basic steps. Does it feel comfortable. Is the beat clear. When in doubt, dance it out.

Lots of music is great for both lindy hop and six count swing. Ideally, songs that were on both levels would be great. But, if only swingouts feel right, it is probably not the best song choice if you were trying to cater to dancers who only know East Coast Swing.

Lindowlsible

Re:

#7 Post by Lindowlsible » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:37 am

djstarr wrote:Blue Suit Boogie - Indigo Swing. Perfect ECS song.
i am going with this choice of song....