Arm chair HJDF DJ battle

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

D Nice

#106 Post by D Nice » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:25 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:I'm wondering where this will go. I admit I'm NOT well educated in who played where and when. That's only recently started to be important to me as my interest in jazz has just begun to develop.
Dude with your dad? *shakes head* I love ya Greg, but when I see you I'm going to beat some since into that bald head of yours. ;)
For instance, a few weeks ago on one of those Yehoodi "argument threads" someone posted two DJs' selections from a Savoy-based DJ jam. I kept the list as a reference hoping to read about some of the bands and educate myself some (no i never did). Well, I just alphabetized it by artist and I was surprised to see that between them, the two DJs only played *16 artists* (hopefully with a bunch of different bands) during the course of an entire night. Two artists were played 9 times each, but only 1 artist was played once.

I would never want to do that as a DJ. As a patron, I'd be bored.
The number of artists has nothing to do with how bored a dancer will or won't be. I could play a whole night and never play more than eight artists/bands and I bet I could keep the floor full, the dancers interested, and happy. The trick is which artists you choose, how versatile they are, and how lengthy their discography.

Remember that at the height of the lindy hop at the Savoy, there were usually only two bands playing in a night, not even a dozen... the dancers danced their asses off. If we went after Basie, Ellington, Armstrong, and Ella (both with Webb and without) as our staples we have a huge range of times and styles everything from "Old Skool" to "Groove", round it out with artists like Kirk, Henderson, Morrison, and Harrison.
play it, playa!

CafeSavoy

#107 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:50 pm

Greg Avakian wrote: Peter, who do you know who is buying CDs for this gig? I don't know allthe DJs personally, but I bet everyone owns the music already from years ago. There is nothing "new" about vintage music.
i'd think djs always buy music before major events. Echoing Peter, old music can be new to you. Some old music can also be new in that it was never released before, or it's newly released on cd, or it's been recently remastered.

Greg Avakian

#108 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:32 am

D Nice wrote:
Greg Avakian wrote:I'm wondering where this will go. I admit I'm NOT well educated in who played where and when. That's only recently started to be important to me as my interest in jazz has just begun to develop.
Dude with your dad? *shakes head* I love ya Greg, but when I see you I'm going to beat some since into that bald head of yours. ;)
I can understand why you say that, but...

You don't know my Dad or his style. He's not interested in raising clones. My Mom's a pretty famous concert violinist as well and neither of them ever pushed music on any of us kids. My Dad and I do hangout and listen to music together a lot, we do it for enjoyment, not a history lesson. He spends more time asking to listen to what I'm spinning than trying to tell me anything. We discuss emotional content , technical content from the standpoint of recording music, of communicating through music. Ask my dad what the significant element of a recording is and he'll give you an answer (his interviews are outstanding), but he really thinks in his head "Who cares? Did you love what you heard? How did it affect you?" ...And of course, the last thing I want to do is be like a thousand other geeks who pester my dad with those kinds of questions. I really love him and I like the time we spend together (which is rare). It's surprising how you relate to a person when they are just familly...but you just know the person on a different level...I don't really know how to explain that.

===============================================

BTW, I'm really looking forward to meeting the DJs i don't know; I hope we can all spend some time together besides Saturday night...

D Nice

#109 Post by D Nice » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:34 am

I actually know what you are talking about Greg, I've been privy to that kind of relationship myself.

My point was mostly sarcastic but more along the lines of, having been around you dad and read and heard his thoughts, I'm surprised that the interest didn't just percolate up on its own years ago when yo started seguaing into Swing Music.

That is all.
play it, playa!

djstarr

#110 Post by djstarr » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:00 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:BTW, I'm really looking forward to meeting the DJs i don't know; I hope we can all spend some time together besides Saturday night...
oh yeah - that would be fun - see you later tonight!