Very Fast Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

#16 Post by kitkat » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:26 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:Edit: I just relistened to Woodside Live @ Sands to make sure I'm not off my rocker. Aside from shear exhaustion, it's very dancable with a easy to follow beat. Again, it's gotta be a matter of subconscious preference.
Okay, then--it probably wasn't that version that was in the 2005 prelim all-skate. Thanks for relistening.

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:32 am

kitkat wrote:
Mr Awesomer wrote:Edit: I just relistened to Woodside Live @ Sands to make sure I'm not off my rocker. Aside from shear exhaustion, it's very dancable with a easy to follow beat. Again, it's gotta be a matter of subconscious preference.
Okay, then--it probably wasn't that version that was in the 2005 prelim all-skate. Thanks for relistening.
Actually I found it on YouTube and it WAS that version in the 2005 prelim all-skate. However, watching the video you'll notice that at the beginning most everyone is actually on it pretty good. It's not till half way through the song that people start to fall apart and things get ugly... and what you last see is probably what you're remembering most. Also remember that Amy want people to be puking by the end of that particular contest, haha.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
djstarr wrote:Joshua Welter
I'm surprised he'd have a problem with Woodside Live @ Sands... I would think it's probably a matter of him preferring the classic version (as everyone does) rather then an actual dancability issue.

Edit: I just relistened to Woodside Live @ Sands to make sure I'm not off my rocker. Aside from shear exhaustion, it's very dancable with a easy to follow beat. Again, it's gotta be a matter of subconscious preference.
I'm sure he didn't have a "problem" per say, he just didn't like dancing to it - it didn't make him feel like "shining", which is an important distinction. This was also a couple of years ago and at Sonny's, which has a lousy sound system.

However, my main point here is that for me personally, as someone who is not a competitive dancer, I'm going to accept feedback happily from dancers I respect.

If people start to jam at a social dance, and I want to keep it going, I would pick a song that would let people look the best they could; dj'ing at a competition is a different story. If the main point was to make sure people were puking at the end and to try to throw people off, then your track selection would be different.

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
djstarr wrote:Joshua Welter
I'm surprised he'd have a problem with Woodside Live @ Sands... I would think it's probably a matter of him preferring the classic version (as everyone does) rather then an actual dancability issue.
p.s. I was trying to avoid mentioning his name but thought it would help make my point since I know you respect him also. Now I'm going to have to warn him you might play that song next time you see him :P

Mr Awesomer

#20 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:12 pm

djstarr wrote:p.s. I was trying to avoid mentioning his name but thought it would help make my point since I know you respect him also. Now I'm going to have to warn him you might play that song next time you see him :P
Yeah, he's an awesome all around guy, and I would do that just to mess with him. Though really, the only reason to pull out that song is to make use of it's insane tempo and there is rarely a need to do that.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#21 Post by julius » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:08 pm

I think the Sands version is really ragged. The band doesn't seem too together at that tempo.