Original swing era songs with edits

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

anton

Original swing era songs with edits

#1 Post by anton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:31 pm

I'd hate to be accused to "thread drift" so I'll start a new one on this... :wink:

Did you ever notice that the following swing era songs have edits in them (at least in my CD versions - I have no idea what the original discs were like)?

Gene Krupa - Kick It (1941). At 0:57 it cuts off to a different take (with slightly worse sound quality).

Ella Fitzgerald - Goody Goody (1952). This one has a couple of really ugly edits in it: at 0:22, 0:29, 0:57 and 1:56 (it sounds like they have substituted "he" for "she" or something like that). And another one at 1:35?

More examples? Any info on when these edits came about?

(And please, no debate on "edit" vs "no edit" in this thread...)

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:35 pm

They were not using tape back then so any edits would have been basically impossible.

That said - there are no original Swing era songs with 'original edits' in them - only producers and engineers making edits long after the fact.

anton

#3 Post by anton » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 am

So, does anyone have an unedited version of Goody Goody? Mine is from 75th Birthday Celebration...

(Or could this have been an original tape edit because it is quite late (1952)?)

subst

#4 Post by subst » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:29 am

anton wrote:So, does anyone have an unedited version of Goody Goody? Mine is from 75th Birthday Celebration...

(Or could this have been an original tape edit because it is quite late (1952)?)
I guess it's the original tape edit. "Legendary Decca Recordings" (and about 5 or 6 other CDs I have previewed) have the exact same version..

http://home.intekom.com/restore/History_Recording.html
"In 1949 high fidelity magnetic tape recording became the industry standard almost overnight."

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:57 am

No telling at what point that spliced version was constructed.

Perhaps it was issued on 78 or 45 or LP in a different "edit"ition?

Only Ella experts will know for sure.
Will big bands ever come back?

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm

anton wrote:So, does anyone have an unedited version of Goody Goody? Mine is from 75th Birthday Celebration...

?? never noticed these edits, and this is a song I play a lot and get good response from. Maybe you have a bad CD?

JesseMiner

#7 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:42 pm

djstarr wrote:

?? never noticed these edits, and this is a song I play a lot and get good response from. Maybe you have a bad CD?
We apparently don't listen closely enough to some cuts we play often. I hear the exact same "glitches" when relistening to the version I have and play often, found on The Last Decca Years. I doubt they are clear when played at dances, but I can hear one of the glitches quite clearly when listening to the allmusic.com clip right now.

Jesse

anton

#8 Post by anton » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:03 am

JesseMiner wrote:I doubt they are clear when played at dances, but I can hear one of the glitches quite clearly when listening to the allmusic.com clip right now.
It's true - at a dance it's often quite noisy and sloppy edits (old and new :wink: ) are hardly ever noticed.

Except when you know about them, of course. I guess from now on you will always think about it when you hear this song... sorry!

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

JesseMiner wrote:We apparently don't listen closely enough to some cuts we play often. I hear the exact same "glitches" when relistening to the version I have and play often, found on The Last Decca Years. I doubt they are clear when played at dances, but I can hear one of the glitches quite clearly when listening to the allmusic.com clip right now.

Jesse
lol. the glitch is definitely there on that clip. I think I would have heard it; I'll have to remember to listen to my original CD when I get home.

julius

#10 Post by julius » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:27 pm

One famous edit is chopping out Freddie Green's entire solo from Benny Goodman's Live at Carnegie Hall album. Given how rarely he soloed, that was really surprising when it was discovered. They also removed a few choruses from other musicians too.

These edits were performed in (I think) the fifties when Goodman's personal copies of the concert were rediscovered in his closet and released as an LP.

Campus Five

#11 Post by Campus Five » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:00 pm

My version has the "solo" intact. The "solo" is really just him chunking away as usual.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

julius

#12 Post by julius » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:43 pm

You probably have the Carnegie Hall 'complete'. The 1950 album version had been edited, and it went unnoticed for a while.

Click

Eyeball

#13 Post by Eyeball » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:25 pm

IIRC, the jam session ran oo long to get it all on the LP without compromising the sound and/or going onto an additional disc.....and since Goodman was the selling point certain moments in the 'history of Jazz' section were cut.
Will big bands ever come back?