Happy Birthday Johnny Hodges!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

J-h:n

Happy Birthday Johnny Hodges!

#1 Post by J-h:n » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:39 pm

As the saying goes, everybody knows Johnny Hodges - at least in these learned circles - so I guess there's not much that needs to be said here. He was one of my all-time favourite musicians. He had perhaps the most beautiful tone in jazz, and perhaps the most immediately recognizable. He was perhaps Duke Ellington's most important player. Today he would have been 100.

And it makes me sad that I have the flu and can't be in Herräng to help celebrate him properly. Oh well. Here's to John Cornelius Hodges, a.k.a. Rabbit, a.k.a. Jeep. Cheers!

djstarr

#2 Post by djstarr » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 pm

alright. Travis is in the booth tonight at the Century in Seattle, I'm pretty sure he has some Johnny Hodges in his collection; I'll have to make a request.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:02 pm

Til the end of time, I will always hear JEEP'S BLUES in my mind; conjurable in a milli-second.

Also - GOOD QUEEN BESS

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am

I played my tribute last night. Thanks for the reminder.

As anothe ranecdotal tale of how little dancers pay attention, I announced his 100th birthday before the song and noted that the next song featured him as a tribute; and then after the song I simply said "Happy Birthday, Johnny." A bunch of people looked puzzled and asked around, "Who's Johnny?!?" thinking it might be someone who had missed the weekly birthday dance an hour eariler. I had to re-announce it to clarify. And even then, I doubt half the room noticed any of it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com