Who plays Glenn Miller's 'In The Mood'?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:20 pm

The long Shaw version is very good.

The long Miller version is very good.

The Edgar Hayes version is very jumpy.

The soundtrack version from Sun Valley Serenade is very good.

trev

#17 Post by trev » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 pm

I like the Edgar Hayes version best. And I prefer the way the riff is used in "There's Rhythm In Harlem" by Mills Blue Rhythm Band (1935), but I'm going to go on record as saying I don't mind "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller. Sure there's a level of lameness about it, and it's a cliche big band track, but there's also a certain power behind it's familiarity which can be used to a DJs advantage.

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm

trev wrote:I don't mind "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller. Sure there's a level of lameness about it, and it's a cliche big band track, but there's also a certain power behind it's familiarity which can be used to a DJs advantage.
Well and good.

I don't find anything lame in the GM 1939 recording except those few ill chosen notes that pass between Beneke and Klink - which they near immediately abandoned, sadly not before recording them forever. Sounds like that part of the tenor exchange was supposed to be a bit of a goof - and it works on that level, but it stands alone as the 'low-point' on the side. It's over in less than 2 seconds so it causes me no pain.

The arrangement hangs together so well - it's a joy to listen to. Well played, well recorded, well done.

The Miller soundtrack version from SUN VALLEY SERENADE is minus the goof notes of the tenor exchange - yay! It also now features a very smart and seductive abbreviated sax riff during the diminuendo - it merely takes the recurring note in the riff and interjects it very slyly where it would have fallen in the riff itself in a 'hold that tiger' rhythm.

Good stuff.
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

#19 Post by trev » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 pm

Eyeball wrote:The Miller soundtrack version from SUN VALLEY SERENADE is minus the goof notes of the tenor exchange - yay! It also now features a very smart and seductive abbreviated sax riff during the diminuendo
Thanks Mr Eyeball, I'll check it out.

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 am

trev wrote:
Thanks Mr Eyeball, I'll check it out.
Shucks! You don't have to call me "Mr."

Just call me "King".

Eyeball

In the Moodin'

#21 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:20 am

Speaking of "In the Mood" -

I can't quite recall which bands covered the tune for competing labels like Decca and Columbia or Brunswick.

Hmmmmmm....knowledge and/or research....

Ahh - the Teddy Wilson came out on Columbia. He hit that late - 1/18/1940 recording date.

The Miller Bluebird is from 8/1/1939.

Decca stayed with their Edgar Hayes version from 2/17/1938.

Van Alexander and his Orchestra on Varsity, a small indie label with some good Jazz artists - he has an "ITM" from 8/?/1939. Van Alexander did some good arrangements for Chick Webb, so this could be good. I never heard of it until 2 minutes ago. Reissues?

On Vocalion - Al Donahue and his orchestra from 11/8/1939. Interesting! He had a pretty decent band. No telling on this one.

No self-competing issue from Victor.

That looks like it.

russell

#22 Post by russell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:26 am

I have a version by Benny Goodman I like from

Camel Caravan Shows 11/39

Lawrence

#23 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:59 am

J-h:n wrote:I like the version from Ellington -55 - it takes quite a while for the theme to enter, and when it does it usually gives a lot of people a start, which is fun to watch.
Exactly. That is the only version I play, if only for the grin of surprising people who are enjoying the song to hear the main theme only at the very end. The main theme is absent for the first three or four minutes. The problems is that this version is just short of 6 minutes long: in need of a good edit, if I ever get to it. :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

erinregina

#24 Post by erinregina » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:53 pm

I've got a reasonably swinging version from Fletcher Henderson, the album is "Jumpin' Jive!" and it's 3:22.

Eyeball

#25 Post by Eyeball » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:13 pm

erinregina wrote:I've got a reasonably swinging version from Fletcher Henderson, the album is "Jumpin' Jive!" and it's 3:22.
It's a broadcast? Do you have a link to a sample maybe?

Racetrack

#26 Post by Racetrack » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:15 am

I play a fair amount of Glenn Miller at my gigs and think the problem with "In the Mood" is that there is SO much better stuff he did, even during the early period prior to his Air Force Band era. It's not a bad song per se (although it's almost an exact copy of "Tar Paper Stomp") ... it's just that even "Pennsylvania 6-5000" and "String of Pearls" are better and "I've Got a Girl From Kalamazoo" and "Wham Rebop" are MUCH better. Not to mention his later high energy stuff like "Caribbean Clipper" and "Tail End Charlie".

Eyeball

#27 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:08 am

Racetrack wrote:I play a fair amount of Glenn Miller at my gigs and think the problem with "In the Mood" is that there is SO much better stuff he did, even during the early period prior to his Air Force Band era. It's not a bad song per se (although it's almost an exact copy of "Tar Paper Stomp") ... it's just that even "Pennsylvania 6-5000" and "String of Pearls" are better and "I've Got a Girl From Kalamazoo" and "Wham Rebop" are MUCH better. Not to mention his later high energy stuff like "Caribbean Clipper" and "Tail End Charlie".
Hi Dave-

I guess that it is not really ITMs 'problem' if there are 'better' Miller tunes than it. There are other GM things that I like as much or more than ITM. I just really do not get tired of hearing it b/c there is a lot to hear.

Try focusing you attention of just one section in the band for the entire side - this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.

You can't really call the GM ITM a "copy" of TPS. They share the riff, but it is the riff and the arrangement (and more) that have made ITM a hit for almost 70 years now.......and coming up to the 68th anniversary of its recording.

GLENN MILLER
IN THE MOOD
BLUEBIRD 10416
RECORDED 8-1-1939

Eyeball

#28 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 am

One more cover version, this one also on Bluebird and by The Four King Sisters likely backed up by Alvino Rey's band

10545 FOUR KING SISTERS IN THE MOOD

Likely recorded in the last 1/4 of the year.

I have not heard this one in years. It could be good!

zzzzoom

#29 Post by zzzzoom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am

erinregina wrote:I've got a reasonably swinging version from Fletcher Henderson, the album is "Jumpin' Jive!" and it's 3:22.
Hey Gina - after Googling this album, the only one I find is one with various artists and ITM performed by Edgar Hayes. The first track is Carribean Clipper. Is this the same album?

kitkat

#30 Post by kitkat » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Eyeball wrote:Try focusing you attention of just one section in the band for the entire side - this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.
I could do that with "In the Mood," but why would I waste my time doing what you just suggested with that song rather than doing it with a song I already like, like "The Lady Who Swings The Band" or "For Dancers Only" or "Shorty George?" :roll: