Who plays Glenn Miller's 'In The Mood'?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Racetrack

#46 Post by Racetrack » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:03 am

kitkat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:I see far more refereces to [Jeep Jockey Jump] [by Swing "dj's"] than I do to ITM.
That's...because...we have a knack for knowing what makes almost the whole room's worth of lindy hoppers dance excitedly (JJJ) and what doesn't (ITM).

If you want to hear a more even balance of references to the two songs, don't ask a bunch of people whose #1 goal is to make groups of lindy hoppers dance excitedly. Ask a different set of people. For example, ask
  • radio DJs
  • record collectors
  • jazz listeners
  • people whose #1 goal is to make groups of multi-dance dancers dance excitedly,
etc.

Quite simple, really.
Eyeball -- if you DJ for lindy dancers always follow the first three rules:

#1: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set
#2: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set
#3: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set

Lindy DJs have a boss: the community we serve. As Jesse Minor once said on one of his "Hey Mr. Jesse" shows, we are in the entertainment business. Self indulgence has to be done in moderation or you risk losing the crowd.

Eyeball

#47 Post by Eyeball » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:10 am

Speaking of IN THE MOOD -

When I think of this tune or hear it in my mnd or play it, it is invariably the famous Glenn Miller version or one of his 'competing' versions. none of which I ever tire of.

What I do tire of and never liked were all the terrible cover versions done of the years, particularly the 'trash in a box' quickie knock-offs by under-powered 'big bands' or useless electronically augmented recordings that have surfaces ceaselessly in television and radio and film.

The other bad versions are the ones by bands that put the song down, but ever seem able to play it properly.

I don't hear the introduction ruined by incompetent and sleep-walking musicians who approximate the arrangement by the cheesy stocks they are compelled to to play - badly.

The sax riff is so often butchered by not putting a whip on the phrase. Where's the accent?

Oh, well - if you have had to hear or grew up hearing enough bad versions of ITM, I could well understand how you come to not like it much. Listening to the Miller version and not hearing other versions as you listen to it may be the key to 'Mood' happiness!
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

#48 Post by trev » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:23 am

Eyeball wrote: When I think of this tune or hear it in my mnd or play it, it is invariably the famous Glenn Miller version or one of his 'competing' versions. none of which I ever tire of.

What I do tire of and never liked were all the terrible cover versions done of the years, particularly the 'trash in a box' quickie knock-offs by under-powered 'big bands' or useless electronically augmented recordings that have surfaces ceaselessly in television and radio and film.
I agree completely. I like the original(s) – it's the way the tune has been subsequently abused that's created the bad image.

erinregina

#49 Post by erinregina » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:32 am

Eyeball wrote:
erinregina wrote:I've got a reasonably swinging version from Fletcher Henderson, the album is "Jumpin' Jive!" and it's 3:22.
It's a broadcast? Do you have a link to a sample maybe?
I got it off eMusic.
http://www.emusic.com/samples/m3u/song/ ... 379150.m3u

(Label: Horatio Nelson Records / The Orchard)
http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Art ... 63555.html

(eMusic is awesome.)

Toon Town Dave

#50 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:05 pm

That's the Edgar Hayes version, the Avid group web site confirms it.

http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Racetrack

#51 Post by Racetrack » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:36 pm

Racetrack wrote:
kitkat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:I see far more refereces to [Jeep Jockey Jump] [by Swing "dj's"] than I do to ITM.
That's...because...we have a knack for knowing what makes almost the whole room's worth of lindy hoppers dance excitedly (JJJ) and what doesn't (ITM).

If you want to hear a more even balance of references to the two songs, don't ask a bunch of people whose #1 goal is to make groups of lindy hoppers dance excitedly. Ask a different set of people. For example, ask
  • radio DJs
  • record collectors
  • jazz listeners
  • people whose #1 goal is to make groups of multi-dance dancers dance excitedly,
etc.

Quite simple, really.
Eyeball -- if you DJ for lindy dancers always follow the first three rules:

#1: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set
#2: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set
#3: Watch the floor and react accordingly in planning your next set

Lindy DJs have a boss: the community we serve. As Jesse Miner once said on one of his "Hey Mr. Jesse" shows, we are in the entertainment business. Self indulgence has to be done in moderation or you risk losing the crowd.

CafeSavoy

#52 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Discussion on In the Mood from google groups:

http://groups.google.nr/group/rec.music ... bd588981c1
"In The Mood" - Before Glenn Miller (!)

Eyeball

#53 Post by Eyeball » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Tortured prose by a Googler. Brutal.

erinregina

#54 Post by erinregina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:That's the Edgar Hayes version, the Avid group web site confirms it.

http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
Okay, thanks! (Now that I think about it, I'm not sure where/why I had Henderson in the artist field.)

Haydn

#55 Post by Haydn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:29 pm

More info on the song's history on Wikipedia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_The_Mood

Eyeball

#56 Post by Eyeball » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Haydn wrote:More info on the song's history on Wikipedia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_The_Mood
That's a significantly poor entry in Wiki.

straycat

#57 Post by straycat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:17 am

Well - on the last night of Herrang this year, I ended up dancing to a version I'd not come across before - pretty fast, lots of fun, but with more false endings that all the others put together - in that respect, it was about as evil as a track can get.

The DJ (Ron Leslie) told me it was by Gene Krupa, but I can't seem to find hide nor hair of any versions by him. Ring any bells with anyone?

Haydn

#58 Post by Haydn » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:49 am

straycat wrote:Well - on the last night of Herrang this year, I ended up dancing to a version I'd not come across before - pretty fast, lots of fun, but with more false endings that all the others put together - in that respect, it was about as evil as a track can get.

The DJ (Ron Leslie) told me it was by Gene Krupa, but I can't seem to find hide nor hair of any versions by him. Ring any bells with anyone?
I believe Gene Krupa played in a few different bands as well as his own, so perhaps the track you heard was recorded by a different band with Krupa on drums?

straycat

#59 Post by straycat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 am

Haydn wrote: I believe Gene Krupa played in a few different bands as well as his own, so perhaps the track you heard was recorded by a different band with Krupa on drums?
I was wondering about that, and it seems likely... but I'm not sure how to go about finding which one it is. Guess I'd better try to get hold of him and ask him.

Eyeball

#60 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 am

At the time that ITM first got very popular 1939-1940, Gene Krupa was only with his own band. He left Goodman in 1938 and lead his own band until 1943 when he was arrested and jailed for marijuana possession. He got out and was with TD and then BG again until he re-formed his band.

That said - it may have been a later recording by his band or it may have been a radio broadcast of the era by his band.

Unlikely that it is GK with anoher band b/c once he formally gave up his own band, it was only BG for him on revival tours, AFAIK or IIRC.