Who plays Glenn Miller's 'In The Mood'?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#31 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:49 pm

kitkat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Try focusing you attention of just one section in the band for the entire side - this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.
I could do that with "In the Mood," but why would I waste my time doing what you just suggested with that song rather than doing it with a song I already like, like "The Lady Who Swings The Band" or "For Dancers Only" or "Shorty George?" :roll:
Eyeball wrote:this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#32 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Additionally, you would positively hear things you had never heard before nbd come to a greater understanding of the side.

kitkat

#33 Post by kitkat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:26 am

Eyeball wrote:
kitkat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Try focusing you attention of just one section in the band for the entire side - this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.
I could do that with "In the Mood," but why would I waste my time doing what you just suggested with that song rather than doing it with a song I already like, like "The Lady Who Swings The Band" or "For Dancers Only" or "Shorty George?" :roll:
Eyeball wrote:this is good and an eye-opener for any side, really.
I know that's what you said. So let me put it more plainly--please, please, PLEASE stop writing so many posts trying to convince us to spin things we've already decided aren't spinnable but you happen to really really like. You are quickly approaching outnumbering our posts on actual spinnable (as agreed upon by most of us) music with your, "But what about this music that only I think is spinnable?" posts. It's drowning the board in information that is pretty much irrelevant to our community.

Slow down with the, "But give this a chance, too!" posts, PLEASE.

Eyeball

#34 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 am

KK-
Please put me on ignore.

Toon Town Dave

#35 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:09 am

Katie, take a chill pill. Until this discussion, I've only ever heard the standard Miller version (recorded and replicated note for note by many big bands). I don't think it sucks but it is pretty tired and not something I'd normally spin. I appreciate the suggestions and information presented by John and others although I do take exception to John's jab in his first post in this discussion.

The suggestions alternate Miller versions and other artists' recordings are great. I particularly like the Edgar Hayes. It's punchy, I'd probably spin it. I'm not a fan of the Teddy Wilson version although I like Wilson's work in general. I'll definitely look up the King Sisters version, I have a little bit of their stuff on an Alvino Rey CD that I'd play for dancers. I'll also check out a few other version, there are may listed on allmusic.

Has anyone heard the Lionel Hamption version? The allmusic clip sounds interesting.

For the soul/R&B fans, the Mar-Keys recording sounds interesting.

Racetrack

#36 Post by Racetrack » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:08 pm

I wouldn't call GM's "In the Mood" unspinable. But I would call it overplayed. It's not that it doesn't have it's moments. But everybody has heard it again and again and again to the point where it has become the Glenn Miller cliche and is a major source of his underrating in swingdance circles. For that reason I think focusing on his better stuff (particularly his lesser know better stuff) if a more appropriate approach to his work. Better to play, say, Tail End Charlie and get a great "Wow!" reaction from someone in the crowd who asks you "Who did this?" than to haul out ITM unless it is requested.

(BTW: Katie is an expert on the GM repertoire and has made suggestions regarding where to find the good stuff in the past.)

(BTW-part 2: You can analyze sections of the band for ANY Glenn Miller recording and find gems. Do it with Carribean Clipper and then with In the Mood and THEN tell me In the Mood is better. :) )

Eyeball

#37 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Racetrack wrote:
(BTW: Katie is an expert on the GM repertoire............
I doubt that...much.

And if she ever wants to talk Glenn Miller, she knows where to find me....or where to avoid me. :lol:

Racetrack

#38 Post by Racetrack » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Eyeball wrote:
Racetrack wrote:
(BTW: Katie is an expert on the GM repertoire............
I doubt that...much.

And if she ever wants to talk Glenn Miller, she knows where to find me....or where to avoid me. :lol:
No comment. Katie and I (and my son Aaron) have been friends for years.

kitkat

#39 Post by kitkat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 am

*giggle*
Thanks for sticking up for me, Dave. However, I don't know nearly as much about any artist's repertoire--especially an artist whose repertoire I mostly consider "listening music" rather than "DJing music"--as a record collector does.

Racetrack

#40 Post by Racetrack » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:56 am

kitkat wrote:*giggle*
Thanks for sticking up for me, Dave. However, I don't know nearly as much about any artist's repertoire--especially an artist whose repertoire I mostly consider "listening music" rather than "DJing music"--as a record collector does.
Yeah, but I think it was you who once mentioned (on the MN forum, I think) that some of the GM "good stuff" can be found in a DVD called "The Spirit Moves". I have to get a copy of that some time. (I mostly have obtained my GM stuff off a couple collections of Air Force Band CDs in the Jumptown collection.) I usually play at least one or two GM numbers per set. Here in Madison, the favored shim sham number is "Jeep Jockey Jump" so someone here usually hauls that out about once a month. There's about a dozen or so GM arrangements I think are worth playing. Most of them were transcribed off live Armed Forces Radio broadcasts and come complete with emcee introduction and live audience applause, etc.

The main thing I have to keep in check with late GM is that some of it is so fast that I have to surround it with mellower stuff to give the dancers a breather so they don't wear themselves out and stop dancing for a half hour. (I have the same issue with a lot of the Fletcher Henderson and Chick Webb stuff - put pacing is a topic for another thread. :) )

Eyeball

#41 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 am

If *any* song is 'over-played' these days by Swing "dj's", it has to be Jeep Jockey Jump. I ee far mre refereces to it than I do to ITM.

btw - ITM - recorded today 8/1/1939 ! :lol: :D

Mr Awesomer

#42 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 am

Eyeball wrote:btw - ITM - recorded today 8/1/1939 ! :lol: :D
I didn't know today was August 1st, 1939... let alone just August 1st.
My computer must be messed up cause it's telling me it's Just 31st, 2007. Weird.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

kitkat

#43 Post by kitkat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:13 am

Eyeball wrote:I see far more refereces to [Jeep Jockey Jump] [by Swing "dj's"] than I do to ITM.
That's...because...we have a knack for knowing what makes almost the whole room's worth of lindy hoppers dance excitedly (JJJ) and what doesn't (ITM).

If you want to hear a more even balance of references to the two songs, don't ask a bunch of people whose #1 goal is to make groups of lindy hoppers dance excitedly. Ask a different set of people. For example, ask
  • radio DJs
  • record collectors
  • jazz listeners
  • people whose #1 goal is to make groups of multi-dance dancers dance excitedly,
etc.

Quite simple, really.

Eyeball

#44 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:44 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Eyeball wrote:btw - ITM - recorded today 8/1/1939 ! :lol: :D
I didn't know today was August 1st, 1939... let alone just August 1st.
My computer must be messed up cause it's telling me it's Just 31st, 2007. Weird.
My computer only has the recognized months of the year and the month of "Just" does not yet seem to be one of them. Back to the flea market with yours.

Yes - August 1, 1939 - I only missed the day, month, year, century and millennium. Glad the excel spreadsheet I wa working on had the find and replace option! :D

Eyeball

#45 Post by Eyeball » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:00 am

The glorious day arrives!

August 1st 200frigging7

The anniversary of the date in 1939 when the quintessential Swing band recording of all time - IN THE MOOD -was recorded 68 years earlier in New York City, New York.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......savor the Swing....one more time!