Les Paul documentary on PBS American Masters

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#1 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 am

(* I posted this over in the look-a-like forum, SoCalSwing, last week by mistake and wondered why there were no replies. :oops: )

Hey...this was good.

I came into it late and it was on last night. I do not even know if it i9s a new production, but there was toms of great audio and video of Les Paul and Mary Ford and highly credentialed people digging it the way you dig something amazing where you just shake your head or laugh b/c it is so damn good!

She was a local girl, IIRC, from Monrovia

Lots of footage of his recording studios and plenty of rock dudes from the later era who revered him for his playing and his pioneering use of over-dubbing and multi-tracking in the late 40s into he 50s.

The stuff they did in the 50s has such a happy and upbeat sound to it, plus all the artistry that LP and his wife MF tossed in. Their classic mega-monster golden hit on "How High the Moon" is likely my favorite. It was neat to see vocalist Kay Starr sitting there listening to the record and she is just speechless during that great part where MF is going up a half tone at a time and had over-dubbed her own voice singing her own harmonies. Just wonderful. I always crank that side up right at that spot - even higher than I play the whole recording.

If you do not know their work, check it out.

He is still alive at 90 plus years of age. She died way back in 1977. Pity.

Happy and good stuff!
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:08 am

oh, come on!

BUMP!

remysun

#3 Post by remysun » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:15 am

Don't be mad, Eyeball, I saw it too, thanks to PBS HD. Great show.

Of course, you do know that he helped end the Big Band era, because electrical amplification let a trio put out as much sound as the big band, for a lot less.

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:28 am

remysun wrote:Don't be mad, Eyeball, I saw it too, thanks to PBS HD. Great show.

Of course, you do know that he helped end the Big Band era, because electrical amplification let a trio put out as much sound as the big band, for a lot less.
He contributed oner element to the demise of big bands. It coulkd have gone either way.

In any event, it was a great documentary.

remysun

#5 Post by remysun » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:18 pm

What was your favorite part?

Mine was learning that he fashioned his early guitars from a piece of railroad to get that dense block he need. No doubt how this led to the development of heavy metal.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:57 pm

I need to see it again. I was watching it with someone and trying to gauge their reactions to something that was brand new to them. They didn't get it at all. Nothing.

It gave me memories of listening to some 40s pop or Swing with a musician friend of mine and he would laugh in delight over some phrase or chord or modulation and say "Oh, man..." or "Did you hear that?" all excited....and sometimes I had no idea what was pleasing him so much.

remysun

#7 Post by remysun » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:35 pm

All I knew before the show was that he designed famous guitars, including Paul McCartney's. Learning not only that almost every aspect of amplification and recording was pioneered by him in some way, but that he himself was an extremely accomplished musician, the bridge between Django Reinhardt and Jimi Hendrix, that was the real treat.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:02 pm

His recordings with Mary Ford, local gal, are wonderful listening, especially - HOW HIGH THE MOON. I could listen to that 5 times in a row.

remysun

#9 Post by remysun » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:10 pm

BTW, how did the LP/MF version of "The Tennessee Waltz" differ fro Patti Paige?

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:38 pm

remysun wrote:BTW, how did the LP/MF version of "The Tennessee Waltz" differ fro Patti Paige?
I don't know the LPMF version. The PP is pretty. People liked it. I dont know a lot about her, but she did one reaaly neat recording of WITH MY EYES WIDE OPEN I'M DREAMING where she over dubs herself 3 times to make a PP Quartet. It's good. Ballad.

remysun

#11 Post by remysun » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 pm

A little bump. I hope they show the doc again because of Les Paul's passing, but right now, PBS is in pledge drive mode in Michigan-- a great opportunity, but one they will undoubtedly pass on.