Favorite recording of........Summertime

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:45 pm

Eyeball wrote:
djstarr wrote: I also don't care for the Artie Shaw Self-Portrait version, it's quite bland.
I don't know what to make out of someone who says they find that haunting and unique Shaw version of "Summertime" to be "bland".

There is so much in there to hold your interest and that very early use of an 'echo chamber' is fascinating and musically valid.
hmmm. I meant bland from a dancer's point of view. Something about that track I don't find danceable. I'll have to listen to it again to figure out what it is.

Roy

#17 Post by Roy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 pm

My Favorite is the Earl Hines version mentioned in the first post. Budd Johnson plays the awesome sax on that track. Every time I DJ that version I gete at least one person asking who does that version of that song. There is no other song I DJ that gets that response every time I play it.

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm

djstarr wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
djstarr wrote: I also don't care for the Artie Shaw Self-Portrait version, it's quite bland.
I don't know what to make out of someone who says they find that haunting and unique Shaw version of "Summertime" to be "bland".

There is so much in there to hold your interest and that very early use of an 'echo chamber' is fascinating and musically valid.
hmmm. I meant bland from a dancer's point of view. Something about that track I don't find danceable. I'll have to listen to it again to figure out what it is.
Oh.

I dont think of it as a 'dance piece' or even suitable for dancing. It's a think piece.

Thgat said - the tune is ot a favorite of mine. It is always beeter than I remember it, but it always strikes me as a tune for the rubes to oooh and aaah over.....GG has so much better than that, otoh - it's a good composition.
Will big bands ever come back?

Matthew

#19 Post by Matthew » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:14 pm

Roy wrote:Every time I DJ that version I gete at least one person asking who does that version of that song.
I was one of those people, once. When you played it at one of the anniversary parties for LindyHop411, it was flat-out awesome.