"Gliss Me Again" by Johnny Guarnieri

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

wspeid

"Gliss Me Again" by Johnny Guarnieri

#1 Post by wspeid » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm

As much as I love this song its a real crap shoot for me whether the treble glissandoes are going to overload the tweeters at the different venues I play at. I believe I got my version off emusic, but could there be a prefered recording I'm not aware of?

I'm going to try to work some magic with the equalizer tonight but since this song does get some play, is there anyone out there who's already found the secret?

Thanks.

Bill

russell

#2 Post by russell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:16 pm

I play the Slam Stewart version off this CD

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... ftxqtgldae

without any problems (ripped from the CD).

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm saying that that is a Savoy label cover there. Just the color and the graphics...they look familiar.
Will big bands ever come back?

anton

Re: "Gliss Me Again" by Johnny Guarnieri

#4 Post by anton » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 am

wspeid wrote:I believe I got my version off emusic, but could there be a prefered recording I'm not aware of?
I seem to remember a Guest DJ playing a very good, more recent version by Johnny Guarnieri on Yehoodi Radio. Mary Ann?

wspeid

#5 Post by wspeid » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 am

Russell,

I noticed that Jonny is playing on the recording you posted and the glissando is much less shrill plus the piano action of the keyboard isn't as loud and clicky. A much preferable recording!

Thanks.

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am

anton wrote:I seem to remember a Guest DJ playing a very good, more recent version by Johnny Guarnieri on Yehoodi Radio. Mary Ann?
That might be the version from Johnny Guarnieri's "Walla Walla: The Definitive Black And Blue Sessions". The recording is from 1975. Sounds great on all sound systems I have used it on, and I always get compliments about playing it.
russell wrote:I play the Slam Stewart version off this CD

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... ftxqtgldae

without any problems (ripped from the CD).
Thanks for the reminder about this album. I haven't listened to it ages. I will need to go back and relisten to this version of "Gliss Me Again"!

Jesse

Ryan

#7 Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:25 am

JesseMiner wrote:...Johnny Guarnieri's "Walla Walla: The Definitive Black And Blue Sessions".

Is this album worth picking up? It looks good but I can't find any sound samples and I'm having trouble finding anywhere purchase it online (it's out of stock most places I check). Anyone know where I could pick this up?

Ryan

#8 Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:55 am

*Bump*

Paging Jesse.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Ryan wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:...Johnny Guarnieri's "Walla Walla: The Definitive Black And Blue Sessions".
Is this album worth picking up? It looks good but I can't find any sound samples and I'm having trouble finding anywhere purchase it online (it's out of stock most places I check). Anyone know where I could pick this up?
I think it is totally worth picking up for the version of "Gliss Me Again" (love it!) as far as swing DJing is concerned. Not a whole lot else I will be playing at dances, but it is all a great listen. I love Johhny's piano playing, and he is backed by Jimmy Shirley on guitar, Slam Stewart on bass and Jackie Williams on drums. Not too shabby. Sweet uptempo version of "The Sheik Of Araby" on there. Also, five of the tracks are solo piano performances.

Usually when it comes to deciding whether or not to buy a CD from the Definitive Black & Blue Sessions...I BUY! ;)

I hope that helps make up your mind.

Jesse